SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Paul writes:

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:29 And if you [are] Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

So those who are heirs according to the promise, belong to Christ. Paul writes this of Abraham whom he uses as our example....

Rom 4:13 For the promise that he would be the heir of the world [was] not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Paul makes this distinction about how God enabled Abraham to love Him....

Rom 4:16 Therefore [it is] of faith that [it might be] according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all

The grace of God is the means by which man is conformed into the image of His Son. Jesus declares this precept in the following Scripture...

Jhn 8:37 "I know that you are Abraham's descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.

Jhn 8:38 "I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with [fn] your father."

Jhn 8:39 They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.

Jhn 8:40 "But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this.

Jesus is conversing with the religious leaders of His day. Jesus acknowledges that the men before Him are decendants of Abraham. Then Jesus makes this distinction between those who have the promise and those who do not.

"If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.

Jhn 8:40 "But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this.

Those who are heirs of the promise will differ from those who seek to obey the law without the promise. Jesus says to them...

Jhn 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.

Jhn 8:43 "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.

" because My word has no place in you."

Throughout the testimony of Abraham in Scriptures, we find that Abraham heard the words of God, and even in old age God continued to perfect Abraham's faith.

The words of Jesus had a place in Abraham, therefore Abraham loved Him.

Do we cut and paste the word of God according to our own imagination and earthly doctrine or do we allow the word of God to cut and paste our doctrine?

2011/11/6 13:43Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I am returning to Genesis and the testimony of Abraham. Paul writes this of Abraham's testimony...

Rom 4:16 Therefore [it is] of faith that [it might be] according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all

Rom 4:17 (as it is written, "I have made you a father of many nations" [fn]) in the presence of Him whom he believed--God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

Rom 4:18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, "So shall your descendants be." [fn]

Rom 4:19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb.

Rom 4:20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,

Rom 4:21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.

Rom 4:22 And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness." [fn]

I will backtrack to again establish God's work in Abraham. In the above verses, Paul declares that Abraham "did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith..."

We are going to continue to see how God "strengthened" Abraham's faith. Paul declares that this grace of God enabled Abraham in this way...

"and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform."

We will see how God worked to "fully convince" Abraham "that what He had promised He was also able to perform."

Then Paul declares that, only after Abraham received this grace, Abraham was then declared righteous because he believed that God was able to "perform" what He had promised.

Rom 4:22 And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness." [fn]

And so it has always been...

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,

Grace and faith not faith alone....

2011/11/13 13:13Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I have gone back in the thread to re-establish the testimony of Abraham...

Jhn 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning in chapter 12 of Genesis, we are introduced to Abram and his family. This introduction begins with God speaking to Abram...

Gen 12:1 Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you.

Gen 12:2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.

Gen 12:3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

The Lord instructs Abram to begin a journey which requires that he leave his family and home. With this command, the Lord also promises to take care of Abram. This is the important part of this introduction to the relationship between God and Abram.

God gives instructions coupled with promise. What is God's purpose?

2011/11/14 16:53Profile
a-servant

Re:

God's purpose is the outworking of his plan, and He just recruited Abram to be part of that. God was hiring Abram. After explaining the project goal and first steps of how to get started He includes a promise to Abram as part of the proposed relationship. Possibly to help Abram to understand what his part in that relationship will be and how it will benefit not only him, but everyone he will relate to along the way. So Abram was 'briefed' on God's 'great nation' project.

2011/11/14 18:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

a-servant wrote:

So Abram was 'briefed' on God's 'great nation' project.

Yes, the plan from beginnning to end, from Genesis to Revelation, from Alpha to Omega....

Just one thought, Abram was not hired, but he volunteered to be apart of His plan.

2011/11/15 7:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

God gives instructions coupled with promise. What is God's purpose for revealing the components of the promise to Abram?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul writes this of the promise...

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,

and...

Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." [fn]

The righteousness of God is revealed, this is the grace that God extends to men in the hope that they would believe in Him whom He sent. As we read the testimony of Scripture concerning God's work in Abraham one will see various examples of God's grace. And this grace flows to those who live by faith.

By grace through faith.

Can faith exist without grace?

2011/11/15 7:12Profile
a-servant

Re:

Can faith exist without grace?

The obvious answer is No, of course not !

Romans 5:1  Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 5:2  By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Psalms 84:11  For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly

Proverbs 3:34  Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.

Exodus 33:17  And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

reading all of Hebrews we can identify the repeating sequence of: 1) grace given -> 2 ) received by faith -> 3) response -> 4) saved

if we take any step out of that, the outcome will be different. That's the reason all these faith examples are given in the book of Hebrews, like Abraham, Abel and Lot.

So of course "grace alone" or "faith alone" is something of a half-truth or actually even less than that, we should not use as the complete model of explaining saving faith in the context of salvation.

Grace of God the everlasting Father Jesus has a history and a foundation. Now why would His grace in our time be any different?

2011/11/15 19:30Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

a-servant wrote:

So of course "grace alone" or "faith alone" is something of a half-truth or actually even less than that, we should not use as the complete model of explaining saving faith in the context of salvation.

For some it may be a half truth, for others, they have not searched the Scriptures which testify of the Father's work that they might know Him whom He sent.

Deu 30:14 "But the word [is] very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." [fn]

Rom 10:12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.

2011/11/16 7:17Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

"The Lord instructs Abram to begin a journey which requires that he leave his family and home. With this command, the Lord also promises to take care of Abram. This is the important part of this introduction to the relationship between God and Abram."

Even before Abram's encounter with God in Haran we are told this by Scripture in the book of Acts...

Act 7:2 And he said, "Brethren and fathers, listen: The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran,

Act 7:3 "and said to him, 'Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.' [fn]

Act 7:4 "Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell.

"The God of glory"..."said to him", "Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you."

When God spoke to Abram, He both gave a command and a promise. Basically, do this, so I can show you this...(Get out of your country)and (come to a land that I will show you.)

By grace through faith is the means by which God has chosen to redeem fallen man. The carnal man, the carnal mind cannot fathom what God is willing to show those who hear His voice and obey His commands. Jesus says this...

Mat 11:28 "Come to Me, all [you] who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mat 11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Mat 11:30 "For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light."

Jesus does not carry the yoke, He directs those who choose to wear His yoke, in paths of righteousness.

2011/11/16 19:21Profile
a-servant

Re:

"By grace through faith is the means by which God has chosen to redeem fallen man. The carnal man, the carnal mind cannot fathom what God is willing to show those who hear His voice and obey His commands."

Amen.

John 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

2011/11/16 22:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy