SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Before traveling down to Egypt, Abraham did not realize what God's promise would mean to him. Afterward, God demonstrated His faithfulness to His word. We as Abraham saw that God cursed Pharaoh for Abraham's wellfare. So we see that God works in the situations that we find ourselves in to demonstrate His faithfulness to His word.

Again the book of Psalms are the fruit of what God has given to those who love Him. It is God who gives us a song. In Psalm 9 we are given this precept.

Psa 9:16 The LORD is known [by] the judgment He executes; The wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Meditation. [fn] Selah

Abraham experienced this grace from God...

Gen 12:17 But the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife.

Gen 12:18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What [is] this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she [was] your wife?

Gen 12:19 "Why did you say, 'She [is] my sister'? I might have taken her as my wife. Now therefore, here is your wife; take [her] and go your way."

Gen 12:20 So Pharaoh commanded [his] men concerning him; and they sent him away, with his wife and all that he had.

2011/7/12 7:14Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Gen 12:1 Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you.

Gen 12:2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.

Again looking to the promise of God to Abraham we find another lesson. In the promise, God says to Abraham, " ...I will bless you and make your name great..."

In the process of time we read this in Scripture....

Gen 12:10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to dwell there, for the famine [was] severe in the land.

We know that God called Abraham to come to this land. Yet we find that there is a famine. We know that God controls the weather. So why would God do such a thing to Abraham?

Again it is the ways of God that demonstrate to man, His faithfulness. Abraham, at this point in his relationship with God, does not see how God is going to establish His promise to him. We know that Abraham is fearful for his life and that he in his own reasoning comes up with a scheme to save himself from men like Pharaoah. Yet God uses this scheme to bless Abraham...

Gen 12:13 "Please say you [are] my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I [fn] may live because of you."

Abraham is worried about his life, and God uses this predicament to bless Abraham in ways he had not envisioned.

Gen 12:16 He treated Abram well for her sake. He had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.

Gen 13:1 Then Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, to the South. [fn]

Gen 13:2 Abram [was] very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold.

Again we see the grace of God, through the power of His Spirit, working to have Abraham believe in Him whom He sent.

2011/7/13 7:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,

The grace of God has been identified in this episode of Abraham's relationship with God. We are told that God speaks to Abraham. We are told that God blessed Abraham. We are told that God protected Abraham. So we see, as Paul has written, that the grace of God acted upon both Abraham and the circumstances he found himself in. We see that it was God who initiated His relationship with Abraham. Therefore it is a gift that was dispensed to Abraham.

With that said, let us talk about faith in this episode of Abraham's life.

Within this testimony we are told that Abraham was fearful. Within this testimony we are told that Abraham did not stay in the land that the Lord had promised him but instead traveled to Egypt because of famine. Some would say that Abraham lacked faith. I have heard preachers say this of Abraham. Yet this is not true.

What did Abraham do or not do that can be distinguished as faith in this testimony?

2011/7/14 7:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
What did Abraham do or not do that can be distinguished as faith in this testimony?

Faced with famine and in his own understanding, believing that he could loose his wife and life, Abraham did not turn back.

2011/7/15 7:15Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Abraham did not turn back.

Pro 14:14 The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, But a good man [will be satisfied] from above.

If Abraham had gone the way of Cain he would have been filled with his own ways. But Abraham did not turn back. And we begin to see that Abraham gains in knowledge and understanding. He begins to see the ways of God and the faithfulness of God. God's grace begins to satisfy Abraham.

Paul is always praying for this for the believer...

Col 1:9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Col 1:10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing [Him], being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Col 1:11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power,

Knowledge and understanding according to His glorious power will enable man to please God. We see this precept taking root in Abraham.

2011/7/16 7:31Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Knowledge and understanding according to His glorious power will enable man to please God. We see this precept taking root in Abraham.

Pro 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth [come] knowledge and understanding;

Pro 2:7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; [He is] a shield to those who walk uprightly;

Pro 2:8 He guards the paths of justice, And preserves the way of His saints.

Pro 2:9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice, Equity [and] every good path.

Pro 2:10 When wisdom enters your heart, And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,

Pro 2:11 Discretion will preserve you; Understanding will keep you,

We are beginning to see the precepts contained in the verses above take effect in Abraham's life.

2011/7/17 8:32Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
Pro 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth [come] knowledge and understanding;
Pro 2:7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; [He is] a shield to those who walk uprightly;
Pro 2:8 He guards the paths of justice, And preserves the way of His saints.
Pro 2:9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice, Equity [and] every good path.
Pro 2:10 When wisdom enters your heart, And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
Pro 2:11 Discretion will preserve you; Understanding will keep you,

Abraham had much to reflect on as he returned to the land promised him...

Gen 13:3 And he went on his journey from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai,

Gen 13:4 to the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called on the name of the LORD.

The grace of God has directed his steps. God in His wisdom, had used Pharaoh to make sure that Abraham would not stay in Egypt. God had not only plagued Pharaoh, but also told him that it was the God of Abraham who was responsible for Pharaoh's troubles. Abraham received witness that God speaks through others to bring about wisdom and understanding.

As wisdom entered his heart, and the knowledge of what God had accomplished thus far, we find that God's grace was pleasant to his soul. Upon returning to the altar that he had made near Bethel, we are told...

"And there Abram called on the name of the LORD."

This is the result of what the Lord had done.

2011/7/20 7:12Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is the land of promise for the born again, new creature in Christ? It is not any promised land of this earth.

What is the result of what God has done at the Cross? It is not any earthly attaining to salvation. It is the Seed, promised to Abraham, not seeds, but The Seed Jesus Christ. Which was a mystery to Abraham.

Colossians 1:17-29 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Our perfection is in Christ, not Abraham.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/7/20 14:55Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
What is the land of promise for the born again, new creature in Christ? It is not any promised land of this earth.

What is the result of what God has done at the Cross? It is not any earthly attaining to salvation. It is the Seed, promised to Abraham, not seeds, but The Seed Jesus Christ. Which was a mystery to Abraham.

Brother, we have not yet even got to the point where Paul says that God declared Abraham righteous because he believed God. You continually jump to the end. I am still at the beginning of what Scripture teaches about the call of God on all men.

Do you at least acknowledge that God dispenses grace through the Holy Spirit In Genesis 12 through 15? Or do you believe God required the OT saints to please Him through their flesh....

What does Scripture say?

Are you offended by the Scriptures?

2011/7/20 21:32Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Gen 13:3 And he went on his journey from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai,
Gen 13:4 to the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called on the name of the LORD.

Abraham called on the name of the Lord. This is the second time in the testimony of Abraham's life that we are told that he called on the name of the Lord. Remember this event...

Gen 12:7 Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." And there he built an altar to the LORD, who had appeared to him.
Gen 12:8 And he moved from there to the mountain east of Bethel, and he pitched his tent [with] Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; there he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD.

Paul says this of this precept...

Rom 10:13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved." [fn]

Rom 10:14 "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? ..."

So by this precept we know that Abraham believed. For we are told twice that Abraham called on the name of the Lord. Likewise, one cannot believe in the Lord, one cannot call on the name of the Lord unless the Lord has extended His grace to the individual. We see that the power of God enables man to believe. And Abraham is given to us as an example that we might begin to understand the ways of the Lord.

2011/7/23 10:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy