SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Joplin , MO, takes a big hit by a tornado

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

This is just my own opinion on the tornadoes that hit Joplin and Minnesota yesterday. This does not have anything to do with Joplin being a main hub of Pentecostalism, but I believe it has everything to do with our leaders putting pressure on Israel to divide up the land.

Here are a few examples of tornadoes that occured within a few days of the U.S. trying to pressure Israel into dividing up their land with the Palestinaians.

"On April 30, 2003, America was positioned as the catalyst to jump-start the so-called "solution" to the Middle East crisis. As U.S.-backed Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas was sworn in, the "Road Map" peace plan was set in motion.

The very next day began the worst month of tornadoes in American history, more than 500 in a single month. Normally, 1,000 tornadoes hit the United States each year, but this year, in just eight days in May, 375 twisters ripped across the heartland of America.

May 9, 2003, President Bush addressed students at the University of South Carolina. Bush called on the Palestinians to embrace the road to peace, and see the flag of Palestine raised over a free nation.

Hours later, tornadoes returned and Oklahoma City again became the bulls-eye for deadly twisters, reducing what was left of businesses and homes to splinters and bricks. The tornadoes of May devastated the Midwest with the third worst property damage in American history. Since then, the Road Map has endured a rocky road to June, coinciding with what may be America's most rain-drenched spring in history."

Yes, we should be in much prayer for the people of Joplin. The tornadoes that hit Alabama not long ago devastated parts of Alabama killing many people. Now the flood waters in Mississippi and Louisiana have claimed many homes and much farm land.

Mike

2011/5/23 8:01Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

For the MOST part, tornadoes or any other natural disasters which claim human lives are NOT the handiwork of God. I'm not saying that it 100% of the time is not the case, but for the most part, under the New Covenant, God does not deal with men in this manner. When the Church sees natural disasters, coincidental accidents, etc..., and immediately labels them as God's work, and then commences to try and discover the particular "sin" which brought the event about, we show our lack of understanding concerning the New Covenant. I heard numerous wacky and unscriptural explanations for the Japan earthquake...not a single one were true. The earth groans as it waits for the manifestation of the sons of God in the resurrection...until then, the earth shakes and these things happen. Japan was judged 2,000 years ago in Christ, as was Joplin, MO: "31 Now is the JUDGMENT OF THIS WORLD: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.33 But ***this he said, signifying by what manner of death he should die***." (JOHN 12:31-33) Now, as a result: "...I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." (2 COR 6:2) Or, as Christ called it, "the year of the Lord's favor..." (LUKE 4:19) In other words, since Christ drowned our old sinful self in the flames of the Godhead's wrath (ROM 6:6), we are in an era where He is not dealing with men, en-mass, according to their sins. (2 COR 5:19) Were he to repay all of humanity via natural disasters or tragic accidents, who of us would be left? But thank God for His mercy in Christ, He does not deal with masses of men and nations in this manner under the New Covenant. There is not a single, solitary example of nations being dealt with by God in this manner under the New Covenant. Some would argue Jerusalem was an example of this, but Christ's words seem to suggest otherwise. (MATT 23:37) Individuals? On occasions. Nations and cities? No. Would any of us dare say that this was what happened to David Wilkerson? I think not. Why then are we so quick to assume that this was the case with Joplin, Japan, etc...? However, had it been Larry Flynt or Howard Stern in Mr. Wilkerson's place, many Christians would have been declaring it to be the judgment of God. We need to be mindful of God's grace and the covenant under which we live.

Look at Jesus' words carefully in the following passage:

1 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them--do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." (LUKE 13:1-5)

Christ clearly proclaimed that those put to death by Pilate, and the 18 who died beneath the tower of Siloam were not being put to death by God. It just happened. He asks, "Do you think that these guys died because they were greater 'sinners' than you yourselves?" The answer, "NO!" He then says that if His listeners don't change their minds and turn to God, they will all face an unsavory end...He was not threatening them with murder from a tyrant, nor with falling towers, but was speaking of eternal judgment. Christ was clearly showing us the vanity and absurdity of looking at other's hardships and assuming that they are being judged for their sins. Things happen. Tower's fall, tyrants kill, tornadoes destroy. To look at the victims of these events and play the blame game is childish at best, and a manifestation of very bad theology at worst.

Much love to all who read this...just sharing my thoughts on this matter. Peace.

2011/5/23 9:18Profile

At Least 89 Dead, Count Could Rise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110523/ap_on_re_us/us_midwest_storms

Very powerful tornado.

"My office is totally gone. Probably for two to three blocks, it's just leveled," he said. "The building that my office was in was not flimsy. It was 30 years old and two layers of brick. It was very sturdy and well built."

2011/5/23 9:51
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re: At Least 89 Dead, Count Could Rise

Just a little clarification on a few misconceptions-

Jeremy221 stated

Quote:
Isn't Joplin a major center for entertainment in the Midwest? I find it interesting that the Lord has hit several major entertainment centers in the US over the past several years. I was just wondering where would hit next and now I know.

Jeremy, you are thinkig of Branson, Missouri not Joplin. Branson is perhaps a little over 2 hours away from Joplin. Joplin is on no way, shape, or form any kind of entertainment center.

Greg added
Quote:
Joplin is one of the hub's of pentecostalism!

Again..in the same general geographic area but you are referring to Springfield, Missouri. Springfield is about 90 minutes from Joplin up Interstate 44. Springfield is the headquarters for the Assemblies of God denomination and a definate hotbed of Pentecostalism. However, Joplin is a far cry from Springfield. It does have a few good Pentecostal/Charismatic/Spirit filled (pick a stripe) churches. However it is known locally as a pretty hard scrabble high drug use area. Perhaps the most notable thing is that it IS in fact a regional hub NOT of Pentecostalism..but of homosexuality. It is the "meeting" point of the gay community for a wide region. Again, some good folks there... but its "claim to fame"..so to speak ...is certainly not for its Godliness. Its more widespread "claim to fame" is that it is the homosexual meeting place.

Just a few clarifications from a guy who lived there for 10 years.

Blessings,

Solomon101

2011/5/23 10:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
Christ clearly proclaimed that those put to death by Pilate, and the 18 who died beneath the tower of Siloam were not being put to death by God.

Actually, He says no such thing. Read it again.

Luke 13:2-5

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
KJV

What He said was that they were not "sinners above all", but they still died because they were sinners. Likewise, Wilkerson, likewise the Joplinites, likewise me when my turn comes. These events are meant to cause everyone to consider their ways....

If God is not in charge of the elements then He is not God, and we live in happenstance, never knowing what may come, BUT God IS in charge of the winds, the rain, the earth, the sun, the moon and all that comes with them. Therefore, when my time comes I will be happy to leave this planet on God's terms, not some whim of nature.

OJ

2011/5/23 10:20
MaryJane

Re:

After much prayer and feeling very disturbed for the better part of the day and most of the night I am deleting my post. I never meant to imply that the people of Joplin were being judge by God because they were more sinful. I do believe God is in control of all things including things like this but in the end only God knows why one house is destroyed and the other left standing.

I will be praying for those affected.

God Bless
mj

2011/5/23 10:35Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

How many abortion facilities does/did Joplin have?

Anyone who thinks God does not direct the elements is mistaken. He made the elements, He controls everything. He can make it rain on one parcel of land and not the one next to it (From the Book of Amos).

Praying for those in the path of those storms.

Old Joe, You said it, God does it all.

Praise Jesus, I listened to the link of the people hiding from the storm with tears running down my face. I had my headphones on and my husband kept asking me to stop listening for he was concerned for me, as he didn't know what it was I was hearing. It was awful and fearful but in the middle of it all, He was there. Thank you, Lord Jesus.

2011/5/23 10:51Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Personally, I don't know why these things happen, and what a lot of folks "especially Christians" need is answers, answers are usually always the flesh's way for closure. I don't know if God enabled this to happen for some kind of punishment, or it was just all in the his big picture. Why does devastation always have to have a label on it? Jesus was hung on a cross, and I am sure to his friends and family at the time, this was devastating, and he was perfect. He died this terrible death on the cross, because is was all in his Fathers plan, not because of any sin, has God changed? When we stop looking for closure on everything that happens in life, rather it's through many hours of pondering our brains to death, or through scripture, and just look up and say, God I don't know why these things happen, but God I do know you are still in control. When we say, Father you said in Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" we can stop looking for answers and closure on everything that happen in life. Show me were in the Bible were God said, we will be promised an answer for everything bad or good that happens. I personally have been Blessed the most in the mist of some of my worst sin, and knock down the most during the time I was trying my best to get closer to the Lord,in my actions,in my Faith, and in my prayer life,can you answer me to why this is? no you can't! You can search your limited mind, and try and find scripture to find an answer, but here's the best answer we can give to anyone "I don't know" why some things happen, but I do know God is still in control of everything.

2011/5/23 10:55Profile

Re:

Good clarification Solomon. I think perhaps people put forward their own agendas when it comes to judgement and devastation. These agenda's could be entertainment, or pentecostalism or homosexuality or many more. This reveals more about the person who states them than the facts on the ground. I think the bottom line is that the whole country lies under the judgement of the Lord and no one knows what lies ahead. My advise to all people is to love the Lord your God with all of your heart and stay close to Him. Traumatic times lie ahead and only those who are walking with their Lord will be able to walk in a peace that surpasses all understanding. Those who truly bear the light of Christ will shine out all the brighter in these darkening times. This will be good and bad for the bearers of Christ's light, it will be a witness for Him, and that will be good, but the attention of the enemy will turn upon them for sure, because the enemy hates the light.........brother Frank

2011/5/23 11:22
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Anyone who thinks God does not direct the elements is mistaken. He made the elements, He controls everything. He can make it rain on one parcel of land and not the one next to it (From the Book of Amos).

Quite awhile back the LORD showed me this personally. I was traveling up Route 666 (before they changed the name of it) in New Mexico and it was snowing on both sides of the road, but not on the road itself. It was a most incredible experience.

Has anyone heard from Travis (twayneb)?

I am continuing to hold him in prayer. Please join me.

2011/5/23 12:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy