SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Obama says Palestine must be based in 1967 borders

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Obama says Palestine must be based in 1967 borders

http://tinyurl.com/israel-obama

Obama says Palestine must be based in 1967 borders
Associated Press
19 May 2011

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is endorsing the Palestinians' demand for their future state to be based on the borders that existed before the 1967 Middle East war, in a move that will likely infuriate Israel. Israel says the borders of a Palestinian state have to be determined through negotiations.

In a speech outlining U.S. policy in the Middle East and North Africa, Obama on Thursday sided with the Palestinians' opening position a day ahead of a visit to Washington by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu is vehemently opposed to referring to the 1967 borders.

Until Thursday, the U.S. position had been that the Palestinian goal of a state based on the 1967 borders, with agreed land swaps, should be reconciled with Israel's desire for a secure Jewish state through negotiations.

http://tinyurl.com/israel-obama

2011/5/19 13:21Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re: Obama says Palestine must be based in 1967 borders

This is very sad to see US turn our backs on our brothers.

2011/5/19 13:40Profile
HeartSong

Oh my . . . this is not good.

2011/5/19 14:14Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Acts of God: America's Warning Not to Divide Israel

http://www.cbn.com/CBNNews/News/030626a.asp

By Jennifer James
CBN News Producer

CBN.com - Since its modern establishment, the state of Israel has been a hotbed of controversy. Jews and Palestinians have long battled over who should rightfully inhabit the land of Israel, a land promised to the Jews 4,000 years ago. In the Bible, the book of Genesis details the covenant God made with the descendants of Abraham.

"On that day, the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, 'to your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river of Euphrates.'" - Genesis 15:18.

For more than a decade, America has led attempts to settle that dispute, each time encouraging Israel to bring its covenant lands to the bargaining table, this time with the "Road Map" peace plan. Bible scholars say that may be a costly decision for the U.S. as America again stands at odds with God's covenant promise.

U.S. Consul General Jeffrey Feltman said, "What we need to do now is implement and focus on how we get the two sides back to a political process and towards the vision of a two-state solution: Israel and Palestine living side by side."

On April 30, 2003, America was positioned as the catalyst to jump-start the so-called "solution" to the Middle East crisis. As U.S.-backed Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas was sworn in, the "Road Map" peace plan was set in motion.

The very next day began the worst month of tornadoes in American history, more than 500 in a single month. Normally, 1,000 tornadoes hit the United States each year, but this year, in just eight days in May, 375 twisters ripped across the heartland of America.

While in Israel, Assistant Secretary of State William Burns told a group of left-wing activists that "common sense" would override the conservative and Christian viewpoints concerning the road map.

May 9, 2003, President Bush addressed students at the University of South Carolina. Bush called on the Palestinians to embrace the road to peace, and see the flag of Palestine raised over a free nation.

Hours later, tornadoes returned and Oklahoma City again became the bulls-eye for deadly twisters, reducing what was left of businesses and homes to splinters and bricks. The tornadoes of May devastated the Midwest with the third worst property damage in American history. Since then, the Road Map has endured a rocky road to June, coinciding with what may be America's most rain-drenched spring in history.

On the East Coast there have been less than 10 rainless weekends the entire year. And in the West, certain crop-eating pests are having their best year in six decades amid dry conditions.

In the early stages of the Road Map peace process, weather catastrophe and recent violence in Israel have competed for the headlines. That violence coupled with America's own battles at home are leading some to question the Road Map. Is there a connection between dividing the Holy Land and utter disruption? Some Bible scholars think so.

In the book of Joel, God warns against dividing the land of Israel. Joel 3:1-2 says, "...I will enter into judgment with them there on behalf of my people and my inheritance, Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations; and they have divided up my land."

Bill Koenig, author of Israel: The Blessing or the Curse, said, "We know for a fact that God gave this land, through the Abrahamic covenant, He gave the land of Israel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants, and this land is God's land."

Koenig said the U.S. should not consider such chaos a coincidence. "These are warning signals, these are warning judgements to America that this is My covenant land and it's not to be traded for promises of peace and security. This land is not to be parceled," he said.

In the last 12 years, the U.S. has stepped up its efforts to pressure Israel to give up her covenant lands, several times sharing the spotlight with major storms.

On October 30, 1991, in a meeting scheduled by the first President Bush, Israelis and Palestinians discussed ways to achieve peace in the Middle East. Opening talks focused on trading the lands of Israel for a peace agreement.

That same day, thousands of miles away, a powerful storm was brewing off the coast of Nova Scotia. On October 31st, what would be called "The Perfect Storm" smashed into New England, pummeling the President's Kennebunkport, Maine home with waves 30 feet high. It was a storm so rare that the weather patterns required to create it only happen once every 100 years.

August 23, 1992, Middle East peace talks resumed in Washington, D.C. The issue remained surrendering the biblical lands of Judea and Samaria in exchange for peace. Hundreds of miles south, Florida was the target of the worst natural disaster in American history. Hurricane Andrew tore through with an eye more than 30 miles wide and winds up to 178 miles per hour leaving a $32 billion disaster.

Koenig said, "The world leaders have attempted to parcel the covenant land, so as Israel's property and land is at risk, so is the property of the nation that's promoting the peace process. And I might add that the greater the pressure on Israel to give up this property, the greater the repercussions and the greater the following events that take place afterwards."

In the Bible, the prophet Zechariah warned the nations that would come against Jerusalem. "On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves," says Zechariah 12:3.

Koenig said, "We have the nations of the world right now siding with the Arabs and the Muslims that are focused on the covenant land, but we know God is standing with the nation of Israel."

Is America playing a dangerous game? As the Road Map peace process encounters resistance, the Bush administration's determination to see it through has escalated.

Secretary of State Colin Powell said, "We have a plan, we have the commitment of leaders and now we have to execute that plan, keep moving forward and not allow ourselves to be distracted or thrown off point, from the promise that's out there with the Road Map, by this surge of violence. We've got to punch our way through it."

But, up against biblical prophecies, Koenig said America is standing against the very Word of God and should expect major obstacles.

"I believe the Lord will allow these events to happen that disrupt the peace process," he said. "As long as you are going to have a terrorist infrastructure that's allowed to co-exist in the nation Israel, we're going to have a problem."

And with those same terrorist groups opposed to America's brand of peace, the future of the Road Map is dim. Israelis maintain they will be relentless to protect their country while all plans to split up the tiny nation may be curbed.

Koenig said, "God loves the nation of Israel. He still, to this day, loves this nation. He is in hot pursuit of the people of Israel. Through these events, we look at the tragedies and we look at the trials, but God's trying to wake up the world."

2011/5/19 14:21Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

No surprise from a muslim president.

Ruf

2011/5/19 14:22Profile

This is simply the full agenda of the current Palestinian , [Hamas driven] Authority...[ government.]

Couched in it, you will find the current agenda also of
Radical Islam. The thrust of radical Islam, is to annihilate Israel, as per it's chief spokesman, Ahmadminejad of Iran...[ The Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Quiada, etc.]

Obama has again defied the will of the American people, who have ordained Israel as their spiritual and political ally since 1948...[ and spiritually for hundreds of years more because of our Christian populace..]

The valley of Armageddon cries out for action.

The next step after this, is to confiscate Jerusalem...all, as Obama puts it, for Peace. This is an anti-Christ agenda....from a like President, I'm afraid. It seems everything he does is against Christ and our Jewish gospel roots.

Pray for Obama, that God would restrain him for the good of the church, and for the natural seed of Abraham, also.
If Satan can destroy all of Israel, he proves God a liar, and can legally rule the Earth again...he thinks.

My concern is that all who have attempted to destroy Israel, put themselves under the wrath of God, as He does protect her. We , as a nation, or now joining this troop, of those who hate Israel. This is not good for us.

Ominous times.

2011/5/19 14:53
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi rufnrust,

Easy there, brother. We shouldn't bear false witness against the man -- even if we disagree with his policies, views or legislative goals -- and label him a "Muslim."

Here is another article about it...

Quote:

Obama lays out U.S. vision for supporting Arab democracy, resolving Israeli-Palestinian conflict
By Laura Rozen
Yahoo! News
19 May 2011

In a widely anticipated speech at the State Department today, President Barack Obama laid out a sweeping vision for U.S. policy in the Middle East and North Africa. Obama stressed a renewed U.S. focus on support for democracy and human rights, and drew heavily on the "Arab spring" popular rebellions of the past six month, which have challenged and in some cases upended, seemingly stable authoritarian regimes in the Arab world. At the same time, Obama defied expectations that he would refrain from using the speech to wander into the stalemated Israeli-Palestinian peace process by laying out a more detailed U.S. vision for resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, with agreed land swaps based on borders that existed before Israel's occupation of the West Bank after the 1967 war.

The president bookended speech's two principal themes at the beginning and end of his remarks. "It will be the policy of the United States to support democracy and civil society in the region," Obama said in recognition of the Arab spring's legacy. And toward the end of the hour-long address, he cautioned that "the dream of a Jewish and democratic state cannot be fulfilled with permanent occupation."

In Obama's view, the United States needs to join forces with global community to work through a two-state framework for an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement. "What America and the international community can do is state frankly what everyone knows: a lasting peace will involve two states for two peoples," he continued. "Israel as a Jewish state and the homeland for the Jewish people, and the state of Palestine as the homeland for the Palestinian people; each state enjoying self-determination, mutual recognition, and peace.

"The United States believes that negotiations should result in two states, with permanent Palestinian borders with Israel, Jordan, and Egypt, and permanent Israeli borders with Palestine," Obama said, laying out the U.S. position. "We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states. The Palestinian people must have the right to govern themselves, and reach their potential, in a sovereign and contiguous state."

Mideast experts called it a "moment of truth" and expressed relief that Obama chose to outline a U.S. vision for resolving the conflict at this time.

"I think the president intuitively understood that if he did not offer a legitimate way forward towards resolving the Israeli Palestinian conflict, that this broader vision for how America would engage with the citizens of the Middle East and North Africa would seem hollow," said former Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fl.), now president of the S. Daniel Abraham Center for Middle East Peace and a close Obama administration ally on the peace process.

"By stating for the first time as an American president the American position that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be resolved based on '67 lines with agreed upon territorial swaps, Israeli prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian president Abbas now have decisions to make," Wexler continued. "And the decisions that they must make are not to be juxtaposed with the other sides ' position, but with America's position. And this is a moment of truth."
"For the Israelis and Palestinian publics . . . . President Obama has offered the way forward," Wexler continued.

Obama's laying out the U.S. vision that Israel and Palestine should negotiate borders on the '67 borders with agreed swaps is "a huge advance," said Stephen P. Cohen, a former Middle East consultant to the National Intelligence Council.

Obama's speech also emphasized U.S. political and economic support for democratic change and human rights in the region, and a broader compass for America's ties to the people of the Arab world beyond narrowly defined U.S. interests of fighting terrorism, security energy supplies and ensuring stability.

"Our support for these peoples is not of secondary interest: it is a top priority that must be translated into concrete actions," Obama said. The White House announced a billion dollars in debt relief for Egypt among other measures to try to lend economic support to fledgling democracies in the region.

Obama's speech heralded "the first opportunity for a serious American Middle East policy that we have had since the end of World War II," Cohen continued. "Now I must tell you, it is going to be not easy to implement. But he has spoken clearly about some of the steps can take now to implement which include not only verbal support of these groups but also to work hard on economic development of Egypt."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theenvoy/20110519/ts_yblog_theenvoy/obama-lays-out-u-s-vision-for-supporting-arab-democracy-resolving-israeli-palestinian-conflict

In this particular instance, I am very disappointed with the president's support for the Palestinian cause. I don't like the media's immediate choice of Obama's view as the "U.S. plan for the Middle East." This is the Obama Administration's plan...and nothing more.

I believe that it was tactical in the sense that it comes on the heel of the execution of Osama Bin Laden. Perhaps this announcement for the support of Palestinian control of that land (including part of the city of Jerusalem -- the area that holds the Temple Mount) is an attempt to appease Muslims in wake of this recent military operation.

"Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee." - Psalm 122:6

2011/5/19 14:55Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

It reminds me of the old saying:

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel."

2011/5/19 14:57Profile
mama27

Re:

Quote:
Oh my . . . this is not good.

!!!!!!! I don't pretend to understand the mercies of God, but can His mercies tolerate this ???!!

2011/5/19 15:25Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

Re:

In defense of Ruf. Jesus said you'll know a tree by its fruit. Obama was trained as a child in Muslim schools. He bowed (which no President has ever done) to the king of Sadi Arabia. He can say hes a christian all he wants but that doesn't make it so. I can call my self a Big Mac and it aint gonna happen. Thats the difference between the prophets of old, John the Baptist and even Jesus. They called em like they saw em. We (the church) need to quit trying to sugar coat everything. The man is a snake and a viper. Tell me Iam acting un christlike. Better read your Bible and see what Jesus and John Baptist had to say about the leaders of their day (Herod included.

2011/5/19 18:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy