SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Praising Jesus for that 39 page KJV thread

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Anonymous777

If you read Whitestones post you can see that she indicated "Ye" meant "all saints" in Rev 2:10.

What I have said is that she has not put the "Ye" into context. In context it means "the Smyrna church" not "the worldwide church throughout history".

Are you able to see the distinction now anonymous?

2011/4/2 7:20

Re: Praising Jesus for that 39 page KJV thread

To make any sense of Jesus Christ's instruction to John to 'write' to these churches, it has to be understood that 'angel' means MESSENGER. In this case, the letter would be most likely addressed to a recognised elder, so he would be included in the 'ye' of the text.

This is, I believe, important to understand. The elder would not have been exempt from the exhortations to repent and return to a former condition of heart. Where the correction of individuals was required, he and the other elders would be the ones to try to bring it about if possible.

The only other explanation of 'messenger', is the possibility that the person who delivered the letter would also read it to the assembly. (We know that John was in exile at the time, so he could not have delivered them personally.) In this way also, the elders would be included as equally eligible to be corrected by the message.

I have no idea if this [Edit] second thought [end edit] is likely, but I also wonder whether John would have dictated the words to a scribe, whom we could sure (therefore) would also be able to read.

2011/4/2 7:31

Quote:
it means "the Smyrna church" not "the worldwide church throughout history".

Hi andie,

However, parts of all the letters to the seven churches could become relevant to different individual churches down through church history. For instance, the message to the church at Laodicea is most relevant in respect of materialism today.

2011/4/2 7:35

Re:

Alive to God,

It is a separate issue. I an simply saying that "Ye" is used to address more than than one person. Nothing more and nothing less.

2011/4/2 8:22
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello anonymous777 & Andie,

777, yes & no. Seeing that the Church at Smyrna is in the body of Christ, I take the 'letter' to pertain to myself, also.

It is odd to have something be so clear in my heart and not be able to convey it to others. I feel that I am being attacked and then, since I started the thread I should have been prepared for that. Perhaps, some may say, I see what I want to see?

Yes, Andie, your take on the passage is correct. Thank you for your post.

white stone

2011/4/2 9:47Profile

Hi andie,

I'm guessing that your post to me was in respect of my first post in the thread. There I was addressing your post from p1, where you distinguished the singular from the plural.

Quote:
Remember Ye is just a plural form of address, you must also read it in context. The message was given to the Smyrna church. The "Ye" of Do not fear what Ye are about to suffer Rev 2:10 makes clear that although the message was addressed to "the angel of the church in Smyrna" Rev 2:8 (a singular person), the message applies to the (the plural persons) of the Smyrna church.

I sought to elucidate that the singular - in the case of elders - is also included in the MEANING of 'to the angel of the church'.

My second post addressed the relevance of the letters to the church worldwide. Indeed there is an historical, factual truth about what Jesus asked John to communicate, but, the eternal Spirit - the I AM - is always in the present tense, and this is what White_Stone has experienced in the present tense. Amen.

2011/4/2 10:23

Re:

Exactly, AtG.

The Spirit (God), speaks to all men for all ages.

It's not a "history" book.

P.S. I don't think anyone is attacking, just trying to understand and AtG assisted very nicely. God's Words are eternal words for all men in all ages, therefore the Holy Spirit personalized His Word to us.

Another example how a small change can take the Living Word and turn it into a history book.

2011/4/2 11:01
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
anonymous777 : Another example how a small change can take the Living Word and turn it into a history book.

Now, even I, have clearer understanding of what I posted/felt.

Is this a tiny example of what it is to speak in tongues and have someone translate it? Without Alive-to-God's explanation I can see my original post was not as crystal clear to others as it was to me. Thank God for posts such as yours. (not to slight any other contributors on this thread, by any means)

WS

2011/4/2 11:20Profile

Re:

I also believe Gods word speaks to all people in all ages.

quote anonymous777...another example of how a small change can take the Living Word and turn it into a history book.

Anonymous777 the word Ye and thou refer to either a plural or singular address respectfully. Can you please explain to me how the modern versions have altered the meaning of the passage Whitestone quoted at the start of this thread and turned the living word into a history book as you have quoted.

It would help if you stick to the above mentioned passage and were specific.

2011/4/2 12:46

Hi White_Stone,

Quote:
I can see my original post was not as crystal clear to others as it was to me.

Same goes for my following part sentence: '... the singular - in the case of elders - is also included in the MEANING of 'to the angel of the church'.'

What I meant is (as it wasn't as clear as I thought at the time I wrote it), is: 'to the angel', includes 'the angel' as one also hearing the message, being a member of the assembly to whom it was addressed.

I hope that's clearer. I fully accept the basic thee/thou - you/ye singular - plural.

2011/4/2 13:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy