SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "A Christian's Freewill & Those Days"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Art, to answer your first post where you asked "how do I know this about Calvin" - it's from Schaff's History of the Church posted on pg 14 of this thread - my last post on that page.
How could anyone justify killing anyone who didn't agree with them? Some people use the excuse of "the times they lived in." Well that's Biblically insane. The first Church lived under severely persecuted times. There were Many who came against their doctrine.
There is No Excuse whatsoever for the slaughter of multiple thousands by the decree of a protestant pope, not only begun by his decree, but followed out for quite some time by his followers.

To your second post Brother, I see only two commandments that cover all of the "commands" in the N.T. and that is to Love The LORD your GOD with all of your heart, mind, soul and Strength and to Love others as yourself.... even your enemies -- as Corrie Ten Boom did.
If you recall her testimony - that one time after speaking at one church, the same guard who was responsible for killing her sister came to her and held out his hand to shake hers and how she wrote that for a moment she could not for the memories of all that this nazi guard had done - but she remembered the Scriptures and made the choice to obey them and forgive this man and extend her hand.

The Spirit of Christ is ALWAYS there to make our obedience good.
As my very first church used to say - you make one step, He makes two (or many more :). He wants our wills. He demands our obedience. He wants our Love but also demands us to "fear Him" and that is His Word.

GOD's Rest!

2011/4/12 14:16
ArtB

New York

Re:

'Amen Art, this is exactly what scripture says;

The fulfillment of the Word of God, not by men, but by the Christ that is in us."

Hang in there Phillip, we got it right. No one can earn their salvation by works of the Mosaic Laws. Nor did Jesus die as an example for us to keep the entire Mosaic Laws. Jesus was the the Paschal Lamb whose blood washes away all the sins (past, present, and future) who accept His Blood atonement on the Cross as washing away all our sins for all time, a true gift from God to all who accept Jesus blood as atoning for all their sins, and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, with whom we now fellowship daily, and whom the indwelling Spirit dwells and works all things to the good from we who believe this gospel of Jesus Christ. GOD WILL ACCOMPLISH IN US THAT WHICH HE PLANNED FOR US PRIOR TO HIS LAYING THE FOUNDATIONS OF BOTH THE COSMOS AND THE KINGDOM.

I will start a New Thread on the Laws of Christ. Since 'JIG' either does not know them or simply wishes to ignore them. Hopefully He will see how easily God made salvation to be. When Jesus died on the cross, God the Father annihilated the Mosaic Covenant. We are under a New Law.

2011/4/12 14:30Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

To: JesusIsLove

I appreciate the Candor of your post. I agree that Christians ought not be Judge and Jury of people who disagree with us. We share our views as food for thought.

We share what we believe, What more can we do? And we listen.

I will share my views more clearly and thoroughly in a New Thread. I will call it: THE LAWS OF JESUS CHRIST.

2011/4/12 14:38Profile

Re: "A Christian's Freewill & Those Days"

Quote:
Now I do not know much about Calvin's actual life and teachings, But they can not be any worse than the deterioration of the Gospel under The Roman Catholic Church.

Hi ArtB,

I think you could take some time to read Calvin's own words. There are faithful copies online. And, to find a proper biography of his life. He left France at the time a king was burning Protestants as torches to light his way to public events, because he could not agree with Rome.

2011/4/12 14:46

Re:

Dear AtG, I'm sure that you didn't mean for your post here to be funny - but I couldn't help but get a short laugh because it's the fact that a man leaves one place that burns what others believe are heretics to go to another place to burn others that they believe are heretics. What's wrong with this picture?

It's not funny nor sensible because one of the "heretics" that he thought needed one type of "punishment" or another, were those who were Against Infant Baptism --- while that was a doctrine of Rome. We wouldn't be alive if living back in those days and having already said that I see those days coming again in His Word.

But the other thing that was sort of funny at first was how Adam Clarke commentaed on Titus 3:10 here - ""'After the first and second admonition, reject' - Labour to convince him of his error; but if he will not receive instruction, if he have shut his heart against conviction, then - burn him alive? No: even if demonstrably a heretic in any one sense of that word, and a disturber of the peace of the Church, God gives no man any other authority over him but to shun him, παραιτου. Do him no harm in body, soul, character, or substance; hold no communion with him; but leave him to God.""

The reason Adam Clarke asked that seemingly funny question (burn him alive?) was because he also believed as Servetus did - who was Calvin's first victim of being burnt at the stake (with green wood to prolong it). Both Servetus and Clarke believed that Jesus became "the Son" at conception. That Jesus was The WORD of GOD from Eternity past - till Eternity future and one of the Three in ONE - but they based what they believed on the verses "THIS DAY have I begotten thee" and "He SHALL be a son onto me and I SHALL be a father unto Him."

So, though Clarke's question seemed funny to me at first as well - I realized what he and Servetus had in common and why he may have included that in his commentary.
I'd be dead on a few accounts if alive back then but never felt I'd (we'd) escape much of the same in the days ahead - lest GOD take us naturally.

BUT - GOD said that HE, 'with' His Saints, will laugh in the End over the destruction of those who hate...

Those who laugh last ~ laugh best. Is that where that came from?

Now that's Holy Laughter, ey? Whatever makes GOD happy makes us happy too.
Remember that OLD song, "I'm not happy till You're happy too"?
That's The Bride singing to The Bridegroom.

GOD Bless!

2011/4/12 16:15

Re: "A Christian's Freewill & Those Days"

Hi JiG,

I see what you mean. :)

Not wishing to defend burning at the stake, my understanding is that many years elapsed between Calvin's escape to Switzerland, and how Servetus ended up at his command. It is very sad.

What Calvin wrote is still worth reading.

Hi ArtB,

I'm not sure if you've noticed my earlier post to you, before about Calvin.

2011/4/12 16:36
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

There is only ONE that is perfect. And He and He alone can make us perfect.

How do we present every man perfect? In Christ; Col 1:28

2011/4/12 16:36Profile

Re:

Quote:
Again, what commandments are you keeping. You already agreed it was not the Mosaic Laws that you follow. So What Laws are you thinking that YOU MUST keep to save yourself?

The law of the Spirit is the only law we should be keeping.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus includes such commands as these that the Holy Spirit wants us to keep.

Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

2011/4/12 17:10

Re:

Philip wrote: "There is only ONE that is perfect. And He and He alone can make us perfect.

How do we present every man perfect? In Christ; Col 1:28"

Brother Philip, no one has yet to deny that it is GOD Who works in us but this entire thread has been concerned with man's will toward GOD's end.

I've given this verse before as it's a perfect illustration of the two working together and becoming one.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

2011/4/12 17:15
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Jesus is God

What does it mean that Christ is in you, You are in Christ?
Is this not Gods end towards His will?

In Christ: Phillip

2011/4/12 17:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy