SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Rob Bell Stirs Wrath With His Views on Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Rob Bell Stirs Wrath With His Views on Scripture

A new book by one of the country’s most influential evangelical pastors, challenging traditional Christian views of heaven, hell and eternal damnation, has created an uproar among evangelical leaders, with the most ancient of questions being argued in a biblical hailstorm of Twitter messages and blog posts.

In a book to be published this month, the pastor, Rob Bell, known for his provocative views and appeal among the young, describes as “misguided and toxic” the dogma that “a select few Christians will spend forever in a peaceful, joyous place called heaven, while the rest of humanity spends forever in torment and punishment in hell with no chance for anything better.”

Much of the book is a sometimes obscure discussion of the meaning of heaven and hell that tears away at the standard ideas. In his version, heaven is something that begins here on earth, in a life of goodness, and hell seems ...

2011/3/6 2:56Profile

Re: Rob Bell Stirs Wrath With His Views on Scripture

Rob Bell is an Idolator and a false lying teacher through and through.

He is an idolator because he has created a false God to fit his own mind.

Lying teacher because he teaches opposite of what God, Christ, and the Apostles taught about Heaven, Hell, Judgement etc.

This man is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

As I was reading Gregs post Good Morning America was doing a report on this. Some female Pastor was on there agreeing that God would not create a Hell.

2011/3/6 8:25
Lysa

East TN for now!

Has anyone on SI actually read this book? Do we not realize that most likely the WHOLE blogosphere that is up in arms over this book has not read it either?????? I haven’t read it (yet) and I’m not going to jump to conclusions and crucify the guy (with the rest of the blogosphere) over a book that I’ve not read. That’s ONLY common sense, folks.

Now, what I have done is to research the book from someone who has actually read it!! Tom Batterson...

Quote:

I HAVE READ THE BOOK!

As a book seller I received an advanced pre-pub review copy. The author does go in the direction that this well known preacher claims. But, he once again does it to cause us to ask serious questions, to dig deep and wrestle with our beliefs.

First he articulates what ALMOST seems to be a universalist point of view:

Quote:
"Could God say to someone truly humbled broken and desperate 'sorry too late?' Many have refused to accept the scenario in which somebody is pounding on the door apologizing, repenting, and asking God to be let in only to hear God say through the key hole 'Doors locked, sorry If only you had been here earlier, I could have done something but now it’s too late."

But he then goes on to give a brief over view of Revelation and focuses on the last few chapters. He lands with this:

Quote:
"... In speaking of the expansive, extraordinary, infinite love of God there is always the danger of neglecting the very real consequences of God's love. Namely God's desire and intention to see things become everything they were intended to be. For this to unfold, God must say about a number of acts and to those who would continue to do them 'Not here you won't.'

Love demands freedom. We are free to resist, reject, and rebel against God's ways for us. We can have all the hell we want."

I certainly hope all those who saw fit to re-tweet this garbage tweet an apology after they calm down and get a chance to actually read the book.

http://being-the-body.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-wins.html

When I say he lands on solid orthodox ground I don't mean this has been some sort of bait and switch and he ends up just agreeing with the neo-Calvinists (As Julie Clawson points out there is a sometimes huge difference in evangelical orthodoxy and Christian orthodoxy). What I mean is he always uses The Bible as his reference point, He does not end up saying Jesus was a space alien or some other ridiculous thing. To put it more simply I can not find anything in this book that contradicts the Nicene Creed (though again I'm sure there are scores of folks who will disagree).

...He (Rob Bell) avoids buying into the traditional narrow views on both sides and delves into scripture, inviting the reader to question, explore, and make their own judgments.”

http://being-the-body.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-wins-redux.html

God bless,
Lisa

(edit: I realize I might be wrong about the book, but my hearts desire is that I do not contribute to ignorantly tar and feathering the man. It seems like there is a gang-mentality out there in internetland to jump onto anyone who disagrees with our view of the gospel.)

2011/3/6 9:26Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Lysa. I have read RB's book "Velvet Elvis". If his new book is like his old, then the blogosphere is correct.

There have been two books that I have ever wanted to throw away after I was finished reading them. And I have read a WIDE range of books. The first was "The Shack", the second was "Velvet Elvis". Both promote heresy.

Maybe RB will suprise us. If so, I will be the first to appologize in public. Until then, RB is to be marked as what he is... a wolf.

2011/3/6 9:47Profile
JoanM

Re: I like God's view of Scripture, of His Word, of His Son

Compromise? Double-speak? How long does it take to forget Paul Washers message, Ten Indictments (I say this to those on SI that found meat in that message)?

Maybe you can hear it in Isaiah 36, where an Assyrian field commander gives eight arguments for Jerusalem to surrender. This idolater speaks in the language that all the people of God understand. He even says what Isaiah said previously (Yahweh sent him).

Or maybe you can here it in the slow reasoning in this video: http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-tube/video.php?videoid=4429 PLEASE set aside the WHO that is being talked about in this video and listen to the HOW this is being done.

These speakers and writers do not get it that the God they speak of is the Lord God Almighty.

And it is like the readers of these people have forgotten what sophistry is like, have forgotten who invites men and women to question and make their own decision. The book to read and examine yourself with is the Bible, the Word of God.

Who here is proud of themselves over how Todd Bently was discussed, or The Shack. How long does it take to discern whether this view of the gospel fits the Bible view of the Gospel?

It seems I am a bit grumpie today.

2011/3/6 11:06Profile

Re:

lysa, just a reminder this is not about a book that we have not read yet. My post is based on his previous sermons and works.
The previous works and sermons etc. point to the logical result, compromise and denial of basic teachings of our Lord and His Apostles.

2011/3/6 14:26

oh for want of a stout oak stake drove securely into the ground, and a coil of thick rope, a pile of dry oak brush, and some bitumen, tar and divers flammable liquids, thus, we could burn this heretick at the stake!

thus we could spake, "we are DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH".

2011/3/6 15:01
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Have we become so soft and PC that we cannot call a wolf a wolf these days?

We wonder why the Church is in the condition it is today, and it is in that condition because there are not enough men who will stand up and speak truth when it needs to be spoken.

If you follow Rob Bell's teachings, you may very well be on a path to destruction. How could I be silent about that?

2011/3/6 15:43Profile
learjet

Re:

I have to agree with the others here, Rob Bell is a heretic, period.

I don't need to read Anton Lavey's new book (he's dead, yes I know that) to understand that it would be rooted in satanism. The book would be what I would expect from him.

I'm glad that folks have stepped up to the plate in this instance and called a spade a spade.

Peace,
Earl J

2011/3/6 16:23Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

When asked by Christianity Today how he would present the gospel on Twitter Rob Bell said that the Gospel is too big to present on Twitter's limited character space. But Bell then offers this definition of the Gospel:

"I would say that history is headed somewhere. The thousands of little ways in which you are tempted to believe that hope might actually be a legitimate response to the insanity of the world actually can be trusted. And the Christian story is that a tomb is empty, and a movement has actually begun that has been present in a sense all along in creation. And all those times when your cynicism was at odds with an impulse within you that said that this little thing might be about something bigger—those tiny little slivers may in fact be connected to something really, really big.
Well, you can't really tweet the gospel. I'm convinced that I am not doing anything new. I am hoping that I'm in a long tradition."

This is very telling about Rob Bell's convoluted theology.
We need to be theologically discerning with matters of first importance.

2011/3/6 16:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy