SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration From the Book of Zephaniah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Zephaniah 3:5-7 NASB

5The LORD is righteous within her;
He will do no injustice.
Every morning He brings His justice to light;
He does not fail.
But the unjust knows no shame.

6“I have cut off nations;
Their corner towers are in ruins.
I have made their streets desolate,
With no one passing by;
Their cities are laid waste,
Without a man, without an inhabitant.

7“I said, ‘Surely you will revere Me,
Accept instruction.’
So her dwelling will not be cut off
According to all that I have appointed concerning her.
But they were eager to corrupt all their deeds.

Thoughts:
I have been ruminating on this today. Verses 5 & 7 speak of GOD's incredibly great love and desire for us even when we refuse to pay attention.

v5. He is faithful ~ "Every morning He brings His justice to light; He does not fail." Every morning He shows us. He does not fail.

v.7“I said, ‘Surely you will revere Me, accept instruction.’ So her dwelling will not be cut off..." There seems a longing in His voice. A love that reaches out calling us to heed Him and follow to safety.

Yet "the unjust knows no shame" and "they were eager to corrupt all their deeds." Not only without shame, they were "eager" to corrupt their deeds! Even with the examples given in v6.

I am taken back to the attitude in chapter 1 verse 12 again. My loose paraphrase: "So what. What's God gonna do about it? Nothing. He's not going to do anything."

They will not believe what He says, "'Therefore wait for Me,' declares the Lord ....'for all the earth will be devoured by the fire of my zeal.'" (v.8) The day of reckoning will come.

Remember in the cartoons where the little bully rolls up his sleeves intent on pounding someone. Then he stalks around the corner and runs into something. He looks up, and up, and up at this really, really big guy. He swallows hard and mumbles, "uh-o" and the next thing you see after the dust clears is what is left of the bully.

Our GOD is ginormous. Those without shame thumbing their nose at Him will come around the corner soon. Then it will be too late.

His desire, and my prayer, is that they would hear his call and turn and repent.

2011/3/21 2:46Profile
PassinThru

Re: Zephaniah 1: 7, 14 NASB

Zephaniah - Pollution of God's House.

This is the rejoicing city that dwelt carelessly, that said in her heart, I am, and there is none beside me: how is she become a desolation, a place for beasts to lie down in! every one that passeth by her shall hiss, and wag his hand. Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city! She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God. ... Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.
Zephaniah 2:15

Thy prophets have seen vain and foolish things for thee: and they have not discovered thine iniquity, to turn away thy captivity; but have seen for thee false burdens and causes of banishment. Lamentations 2:14

They have wandered as blind men in the streets, they have polluted themselves with blood, so that men could not touch their garments. Lamentations 4:14

Zephaniah was the prophet in the time of Josiah's reign and reformation. The quote above in Zephaniah is the condemnation of the apostate priests who were destroyed by Josiah.

The priests polluted the sanctuary!!

Compare these two:

2Ch 36:14 Moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen; and polluted the house of the LORD which he had hallowed in Jerusalem.

Zep 3:4 Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.

Lamentations 2:14: The prophets have been vain and foolish.
Zephaniah 3:4: The prophets are light and treacherous persons.

Lamentations 4:14: ...they have polluted themselves with blood.(leading others astray and to destruction).

Zephaniah 3:4: Her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law (perverted the Word).

Nothing new under heaven. This sounds like today.

2011/3/21 11:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

More comments on Zeph. 3: 8-11.

How many times do we get impatient with evil around us? We want to take drastic measures to remove its presence from our community. But we can never accomplish it. God is saying "Wait on me. I am going to do it and it will be thorough. Just be patient and faithful."

Anyones patience in this area been tested lately?

2011/3/21 11:02Profile
PassinThru

Re:

We need to be impatient with evil in our own hearts and take drastic measures to remove it quickly.

You can't really do this in society (other people), except by preaching the Gospel and even then it is the Spirit of God which draws men and cleanses hearts.

2011/3/21 18:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
We need to be impatient with evil in our own hearts and take drastic measures to remove it quickly

So true. Glad you mentioned it.

2011/3/21 20:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 3:8-13 NASB

Zephaniah 3:8-13 NASB

8 Therefore wait for Me,” declares the LORD,
“For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.

9 “For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD,
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder.

10 “From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia
My worshipers, My dispersed ones,
Will bring My offerings.

11 “In that day you will feel no shame
Because of all your deeds
By which you have rebelled against Me;
For then I will remove from your midst
Your proud, exulting ones,
And you will never again be haughty
On My holy mountain.

A Remnant of Israel

12 “But I will leave among you
A humble and lowly people,
And they will take refuge in the name of the LORD.

13 “The remnant of Israel will do no wrong
And tell no lies,
Nor will a deceitful tongue
Be found in their mouths;
For they will feed and lie down
With no one to make them tremble.”

COMMENT:

As I get into this chapter I sense a change in God's mood: as one who is about to reveal a delightful secret. He is revealing the reasons for judgements, calamities: to rid the earth of evil people. (He gave them plenty of chances to repent and their refusal will earn for them rejection by God.)

God goes on to say how nice life will be after he rids the earth of the proud and haughty (v.11). Consider these characteristics:

1. The people will have purified lips.
2. That all may call upon the LORD. (Notice: one cannot call on the LORD without purified lips. Think about that!)
3. There will be unity among God's people - they will stand shoulder to shoulder. This unity will cross national boundaries.
4. They will bring offerings to Him.
5. God will remove the shame they feel for their past sins. (How many today feel shame for their sinful past?)
6. You will not again have to deal with proud and ahaughty people. YES!!!!
7. People around you will be humble and lowly. (Got to begin now but it only happens when the Holy SPirit is in charge.)
8.The remnant of Israel will do no wrong. (Love this Neil? I do.)
9. They will tell no lies.
10. Will not have a deceitful tongue.
1. They will feel safe and nothing will frighten them.

WOW!

I have not known this to be a reality on this earth, so it must be futuristic. Seems to be if we allow this promise to permeate our spirit, our soul, it should strengthen our resolve to faithfulness. It does me. This is a delight to meditate upon.

2011/3/22 11:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Zephaniah 3:14,17 NASB

Zephaniah 3:14,17 NASB

14Shout for joy, O daughter of Zion!
Shout in triumph, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!

17“The LORD your God is in your midst,
A victorious warrior.
He will exult over you with joy,
He will be quiet in His love,
He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

COMMENT:

Joy. Rejoice.

I love to meditate on this emotion.

The world wants joy but it eludes them. So to compensate they will resort to comedy, music, drugs, perversion, the acquision of things, entertainment because of the rush it gives them only to find themselves in a pursuit of more. For many this pursuit becomes addictive. And there is no lasting peace at all. It is momentarily, at best.

But God's joy! Aaahhh...Joy comes when you have surrendered yourself to His will and allows Him to be the god in your life: one that allows Him to do his will with no resentment from you..AAAhhhh, yes, joy follows! It is such a delight when one does not fight God's will.

My mind often goes to the incident where I felt such intense joy, pleasure, the like I never before nor since have experienced. And even today it fills me with so much delight. It still thrills! And there are no hangovers, either.

In January 1996 our 25 YO daughter, Regina - a wife and mother to two children - had just died from a glioblastoma, a brain cancer. She had fought it for over a year, had been anointed with oil three times. The last six weeks of her life she was paralyzed from the waist down, her body was bloated because of steriods, this once very pretty girl now looked ugly. Two weeks before her passing, the Holy Spirit gave me the verse: "Stand back and see the salvation of the LORD" spoken by Moses when he and the Israelites came to the Red Sea with water in front and Egyptians behind. Anyhow, I expected the LORD to heal Gina. And he did but not like I expected.

After she died that Sunday afternoon, I went to bed to sleep. Then the LORD gave me a wonderful gift: I relived her life froom infancy to adulthood. It was like a movie of her life that I was seeing. In viewing this I was filled with incredible joy. It was so intense, the like I never experienced before nor since. I was so thankful that God had loaned her to us for 25 years. She was a gift, a loan from God who could recall her at his will. And I was content with that. I felt really blessed to have been the recipient of that gift. Now it was time to relinquish it, and I did. It was no problem. Ahhh, the joy of the LORD. No one can anywhere begin to duplicate it.

In v. 17 it says God will rejoice over you with shouts of joy! Is this not wonderful??!! Sometimes when I read this in my mind it is almost as though God's response is like a child who is filled so so much anticipation of something that delights - and she jumps up and down...

Yes, the world nor anything in it can never produce the joy that comes from God. And He says here that we should shout for joy because He is going to deliver his people from the presence of sin!

Does this evoke a sense of joy in our hearts?

2011/3/23 10:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 3: 15-17 NASB

Zephaniah 3: 15-17 NASB

Shout for joy, O daughter of Zion!
Shout in triumph, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!

15The LORD has taken away His judgments against you,
He has cleared away your enemies.
The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst;
You will fear disaster no more.

16In that day it will be said to Jerusalem:
“Do not be afraid, O Zion;
Do not let your hands fall limp.

17“The LORD your God is in your midst,
A victorious warrior.
He will exult over you with joy,
He will be quiet in His love,
He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

COMMENT:

Shout for joy! and for what reason?

1. God has removed our enemies! YES!!!!
2.God will be in our midst!
a. God will not tolerate the presence of His enemies! Hallelujah!
3. And God will rejoice over us! He will rejoice with shouts of joy! WOW!!
a. Can you imagine God rejoicing over you??? That God delights in you? Ah, what love...this should make us fall down on our knees in reverence and holy fear...
b. I get this mental picture of God being on the sidelines cheering us on as we race towards the goal!

Can you imagine this being or becoming a reality?

2011/3/24 11:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 3: 14-20

God, using Zephaniah as his spokesman to the Jews and Moabites, had three major complaints against them:
1.Stagnant in spirit - who say in their hearts the LORD will not do good nor evil. 1:12
2.To the Moabites - who taunted God's people and their territory. 2:8,10
3. Accepted no instruction. 3:2

And as a result brought on these actions:
4. Did not trust in the LORD.3:2
5. Their priests were reckless.3:4
6. Their prophets profaned the sanctuary. 3:4
7. Done violence to the Law.3:4
8. The unjust knows no shame.3:5
9. Are eager to corrupt all their deeds. 3:7

Nine complaints.

To live with this mindset in people who are in authority is very intimidating. But God says I will clear away your enemies. (3:15)

It is so comforting to know that when God pronounces judgement against sin, he does not forget the faithful. He comes along as in Zeph. 3:14-20 and speaks wonderful words of promise that comfort. (I understand that this also is speaking also of a future restoration of the nation of Israel, but the principle still remains.)

Can we see the spirit of love that is God's in this book?

2011/3/31 10:15Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy