SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration From the Book of Zephaniah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 2: 12-13

Zephaniah 2: 12-13 NASB

12You also, O Ethiopians, will be slain by My sword.”

13And He will stretch out His hand against the north
And destroy Assyria,
And He will make Nineveh a desolation,
Parched like the wilderness.

COMMENT:

I am always thrilled when I read in the OT God's words of warnings to non-Jewish peoples. For some reason one has the idea that before Jesus came, God was the God of the Jews only. Not so. The prophets' writings indicate otherwise - there is just little details given in the WORD concerning God's dealings with surrounding nations. The fact that he issued warnings for them in addition to Israel proves how much he loves all.

Years ago "Biblical Archaeology Review" printed an article dealing with this issue,declaring there is very little archaeological evidence that knowledge of God existed beyond the Jewish communities. Yet, a casual reading of the prophets would indicate otherwise. Aren't you glad?

2011/3/10 21:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 2:10; 3:11 NASB

Zephaniah 2:10; 3:11 NASB

10 This they will have in return for their pride, because they have taunted and become arrogant against the people of the LORD of hosts.

11 b For then I will remove from your midst Your proud, exulting ones, And you will never again be haughty

COMMENT:

Haughtiness. Arrogance: I am better then you. This mentality intimidates, strikes fear in the heart of the lesser putting a stumbling block in his way, working to gain the approval of this bully. But this bully is working is cahoots with the devil. And God says he will remove these proud people from their midst.

How God will remove the proud ones is his call, yet I suspect that from reading the prophets he does it by destroying their securities, all these things that empowered them to lord themselves over others. Yet when these devastations occur, the innocent will suffer as well, but the innocent will have a sustaining hand to assist them through this trial whereas the proud will be left to his own - now depleted - devices.

Yes, God is very much aware of the forces that work aggressively to destroy his people and there is a payday a-coming.

2011/3/12 10:07Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Re: Ruminations from Zephaniah 1 NASB

The events in Japan this week have had me ruminating on the first chapter of Zephaniah again. Please note I understand the historical context of the passage and also possible future events connected with it. It is simply that the events in Japan help me to just begin to comprehend what it means in the real world.

"'I will completely remove all things from the face of the earth,' declares the Lord." v.2 I could not help but think of this as I saw the before and after pictures of the tsunami in Sendai. It was there and now it is nearly totally gone.

"... all who weight out silver will be cut off..." v.11 Commerce is gone. Even if the shops were still there the roads are blocked or gone or cracked. And the people are mostly gone too. The only things wanted/needed by the people now are water and food both of which are lacking.

"...and they will plant vineyards and not drink their wine..." v.13 I watched the wall of water roll over farms and greenhouses. Gone.

"Near is the great day of the Lord, near and coming very quickly. Listen, the day of the Lord." v.14 The people got up Friday morning and began their day as usual, getting ready for work, waking the kids, ... It was so normal, so mundane. Then the earth began to shake. And it went on and on and on. Then the tsunami. I read it traveled across the ocean at 500 miles an hour! "As it was in the days of Noah, people were eating and drinking and giving in marriage and knew not....."

Parenthetical comment:

I don't know if anyone else watched the live feed of the water rushing inland or not but I as I watched I could see tiny cars rushing on the road trying to get away. But I could see they were headed into the worst part of it. I kept speaking to the computer screen, "NO! NO! Go the other way!" but they rushed headlong. I wonder if, since "we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses", there are times my actions cause them to exclaim the same?

Verse 15 ~ "...A day of trouble and distress, a day of destruction and desolation.." That so describes what happened.

"Neither their silver not their gold will be able to deliver them..." v.18 Their wealth ~ or lack of it ~ made absolutely no difference. And it really still doesn't.

"..for He will make a complete end, indeed a terrifying one, of the inhabitants of the earth." v.18 More than a thousand missing and presumed dead. The number could rise even higher. Swept into eternity. ....

How then ought we to live ....

2011/3/13 19:40Profile

Re:

Amen, and Amen.

2011/3/13 22:22
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I thought the same, SHMILY.

Is it not interesting that while we are reading Zephaniah that we are seeing some of these things happening now? Oh, I know that this prophecy may not be referring to the event in Japan, but in watching this one can see how these calamities can be a reality, not just a hypothetical situation.

Did you see the video a man took of the earthquake? (It was on iReport, I think.) He said the shaking was so bad he could hardly stand up?

Still shaking my head...

2011/3/13 22:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 2:15; 3:2 NASB

Zephaniah 2:15; 3:2 NASB

15 Who says in her heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me

22 She heeded no voice, She accepted no instruction. She did not trust in the LORD, She did not draw near to her God

COMMENT:

Pride, its characteristics:

1. There is no one besides me.
2. She listens to no one because she thinks she knows it all.
3. She is not teachable.
4. She does not trust in the LORD.
5. Does not draw near to Him.

A proud heart feels self-sufficient and think she knows it all and will not take any instruction from anyone, thinking they know more then anyone else.

Many wise students of human nature have declared affluence promotes this self-satisfied mentality. Coupled with this is the all pervasive teaching of self-esteem: I am a wonderful person! and I deserve whatever I want! (Someone has said that inmates in prison are afflicted with much self-esteem!)
Self-satisfaction, the ability to have all your personal wants met impedes God's ability to work in the life of an individual. God is regarded as a kill joy who will work to deprive one of pleasures so much enjoyed and who wants to submit to a god like that?

There is payday a-coming. God will demonstrate this in ways that will force the individual to face the fact that he is not in control of life, God is. And we do well to allow God to search our heart to kmow whether we are teachable, whether we listen and allow Him to lead.

Pride is the fundamental issue one has to deal with every day...it is not just them - although it is - but it us also, as well.

2011/3/15 10:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 3:1-5 NASB

Zephaniah 3:1-5 NASB

1 Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled,
The tyrannical city!
2 She heeded no voice,
She accepted no instruction.
She did not trust in the LORD,
She did not draw near to her God.

3 Her princes within her are roaring lions,
Her judges are wolves at evening;
They leave nothing for the morning.

4 Her prophets are reckless, treacherous men;
Her priests have profaned the sanctuary.
They have done violence to the law.

5 The LORD is righteous within her;
He will do no injustice.
Every morning He brings His justice to light;
He does not fail.
But the unjust knows no shame.

COMMENT:

I noticed where God's presence is in the midst of this city but the people live in defiance of this better knowledge. They work hard to do the opposite of what they know they should do.

Have you ever noticed that when people apostasize the same thing happens? They are so defiant, will do anything contrary to prove they are not responsible to submit to anybody but their own desires. The cruelty these people engage in defies common sense.

In my many years of counseling at a CPC I was amazed how my ungodly clients knew they were living in sin and what they were doing is wrong and will send them to hell. They knew - I did not have to tell them. Amazing.

And it says they know no shame. Sounds like this was written just last week.

2011/3/16 10:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 3:6 NASB

Zephaniah 3:6 NASB

“I have cut off nations;
Their corner towers are in ruins.
I have made their streets desolate,
With no one passing by;
Their cities are laid waste,
Without a man, without an inhabitant.

COMMENT:

Whenever I read something like this, I am left with a sense of wonderment, amazement at how futile it is for men to expend so much resources to protect ones country when its security is all in God's hands. God can in a moment lay its defenses in ruins. All that work, all that tax money gone to waste...all to give one a sense of security which is no better then to build a sand castle on the beach, subject to high tides every 24 hours.

On the personal level I am reminded how much time is wasted when I work without spending time FIRST with the LORD at the beginning of a day. Spending time with Him in the WORD results in me making fewer errors; my day goes a whole lot better; I accomplish much more. There is protection with divine assistance working quietly, discretely but always there.

Where is my security? I can build whatever defenses to protect myself but God can and will in his time destroy it and then what do I have left?

2011/3/18 8:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Zephaniah3:8-11 NASB

Zephaniah3:8-11 NASB

8 "Therefore wait for Me,” declares the LORD,
“For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.

9“For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD,
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder.

10“From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia
My worshipers, My dispersed ones,
Will bring My offerings.

11“In that day you will feel no shame
Because of all your deeds
By which you have rebelled against Me;
For then I will remove from your midst
Your proud, exulting ones,
And you will never again be haughty
On My holy mountain.

COMMENT:

Many comments, insights can be gleaned from this portion but will limit it to one per post.

(At the onset, I want to reaffirm what another poster shared - and that is prophesy will have multiple applications, meanings, not limited to one ere of time.)

God says in v. 8 "wait for me.." How many times do we get impatient and run ahead of God to accomplish what we think should be done?

Wait for me. This gets to be a trial for those who want all things done yesterday. Like me.

"Wait." And then "I will", so says God.

2011/3/19 10:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
prophesy [does] have multiple applications, meanings, not limited to one ere of time.

The LORD has laid on my heart as strongly as ever before, as of yesterday, the parable of the 10 virgins.

We know that when He Returns, the "Brigtness" of His appearing will "destroy those who are destroying the earth" ... so why would these virgins need lamps, oil and even vessels to carry extra oil? ... is it not for the 'darkness' that preceeds His Return?

Yes, that is certainly the logical conclusion of the matter and we're even now entering the days when the foolish will be asking the wise for some of their oil ('understanding' [the word Daniel uses] or 'light' from the Spirit of Truth) to make it through the very dark days preceeding His coming - when He Lights Up the sky at His Return, just in time to save what flesh is left on earth, "lest no flesh would survive."

Survive what? - I have to ask some people who's vision is so dimmed (by 'choice') regarding these verses in Scripture regarding these prophesies that describe the 'events' before He returns.

Here's the answer to them -

Mat 25:8,9 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

Those who choose to re-translate the very words of Christ about "those days" will be left out in the dark when this world begins to crumble further, as it is written [we didn't write it], and the Saints will not be able to help them at all at some point.

Matthew 25:1-13 - Rev 22:18,19.

2011/3/19 15:23

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy