SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration From the Book of Zephaniah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 2:8-11 NASB

Zephaniah 2: 8-11 NASB

8“I have heard the taunting of Moab
And the revilings of the sons of Ammon,
With which they have taunted My people
And become arrogant against their territory.

9“Therefore, as I live,” declares the LORD of hosts,
The God of Israel,
“Surely Moab will be like Sodom
And the sons of Ammon like Gomorrah—
A place possessed by nettles and salt pits,
And a perpetual desolation.
The remnant of My people will plunder them
And the remainder of My nation will inherit them.”

10This they will have in return for their pride, because they have taunted and become arrogant against the people of the LORD of hosts. 11The LORD will be terrifying to them, for He will starve all the gods of the earth; and all the coastlands of the nations will bow down to Him, everyone from his own place.

COMMENT:

Does someone have an insight to share about the taunting of God's people?

(I am having a problem now to concentrate adequately because of the stress of moving...I know what the scripture is teaching me, but to phrase it in the least number of words escapes me at the moment.)

God bless!

2011/3/3 10:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Insightful! Fascinating!

2011/3/3 10:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Zephaniah 2:8-11 NASB

Taunting. Making light of something sacred....or reviling, heaping scorn on those one deems strange.

How many times do we find ourselves doing likewise to those whom we do not see eye to eye with? (Not referring to sin issues but doctrinal ones.)

Or, just plain reviling someone for its own sake? Is it loving? Children do that in their childishness, at times, but what about adults?

The penalty to reviling was severe: "Surely Moab will be like Sodom." Oh. Oh. We know Sodom was given to perversion and was destroyed for it. Now God is saying I will make you like Sodom because you have reviled my people. The end result is the same.

Do we regard this sin as serious as God does?

2011/3/3 21:38Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Zephaniah 2:12-15

12“You also, O Ethiopians, will be slain by My sword.”

13And He will stretch out His hand against the north
And destroy Assyria,
And He will make Nineveh a desolation,
Parched like the wilderness.

14Flocks will lie down in her midst,
All beasts which range in herds;
Both the pelican and the hedgehog
Will lodge in the tops of her pillars;
Birds will sing in the window,
Desolation will be on the threshold;
For He has laid bare the cedar work.

15This is the exultant city
Which dwells securely,
Who says in her heart,
“I am, and there is no one besides me.”
How she has become a desolation,
A resting place for beasts!
Everyone who passes by her will hiss
And wave his hand in contempt.

Thought:
Verses 4-7 were the enemies on the west ~ Gaza, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ekron, the land of the Philistines.

Verses 8-11 were the enemies on the east ~ Moab and the sons of Ammon (present day Jordan).

In this passage 12-15 it is the enemies of the south ~ Ethiopia (Cush - possibly Egypt) ~ and the enemies of the north ~ Assyria whose capital was Nineveh.

Enemies all around. God would/will deal with them all.

Ever feel surrounded? Don't know which way to turn? Our God hears.

2011/3/3 23:46Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Zephaniah 2:15

15This is the exultant city
Which dwells securely,
Who says in her heart,
How she has become a desolation,
A resting place for beasts!
Everyone who passes by her will hiss
And wave his hand in contempt.

This struck me in this verse:
Who says in her heart,

There is only one I AM. And there is none beside Him.

2011/3/3 23:48Profile

Re: Zephaniah 2:15

Seems to me to be the same as the post on Jeremiah 49-51 that Jeremy wrote. That same "city". Even Torrey cross-references Rev 18 to these two books and same verses.
She still appears to think she "sits as a queen".

"That great city"

Rev 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Rev 18:10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
Rev 18:16 And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!
Rev 18:18 And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!
Rev 18:19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.
Rev 18:21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Thankfully, this isn't until the very very end of things.

He's not willing that any should perish, so we have time to keep witnessing - however and wherever He leads.

Blessings!

2011/3/4 1:49
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Zephaniah 2:10-11 NASB

Zephaniah 2:10-11 NASB

10 This they will have in return for their pride, because they have taunted and become arrogant against the people of the LORD of hosts.

11The LORD will be terrifying to them, for He will starve all the gods of the earth; and all the coastlands of the nations will bow down to Him, everyone from his own place.

COMMENT:

Pride. The sin that precedes a fall: Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling. Proverbs 16:18. It is the mindset that declares I know better, MY idea is always right, I am going to do what I want to do and others be hanged! It focus on self - always: what I want. It dismisses the concept of submission, loving the unlovely, looking out for the welfare of others. A selfish person may do all these things on a limited scale, but only if it will benefit them. The concept of assisting another and not allowing it to become known is foreign to this mind.

The god of self wars against the Jehovah God and his people. Godly people become targets of ridicule and derision from those who serve other gods because they are a threat to their self-esteem. The want everyone's approval and if they do not get it from the ones who they respect for their integrity they get angry and will work to destroy by discrediting them.

But God says here that he will starve all the gods of the earth! All the philosophies what warred against God's Word will be discredited because they will no longer work! "I always do things this way!" "I aways..." and it no longer works or is true! God starved these man-made'absolutes'. God will demonstrate that the only absolutes that are true, workable are those that come from Him. This fact will become known and they will be forced to acknowledge it.

Is it not comforting to know we stand on the solid rock, Jesus Christ?! The winds of scorn, derision may be fierce but that storm will cease - God is in control of it.

Yes!

2011/3/5 9:37Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Re:

I agree Jesus-is GOD that is most probably the same city.

What struck me was the arrogance, the pride. The audacity to say, "I am ..." In a sense to claim to be GOD.

Pride. As Ginny says it is woven through these verses and God calls it sin.

Quote:
Is it not comforting to know we stand on the solid rock, Jesus Christ?!

Yes and Amen!! =)

2011/3/5 10:30Profile

Re:

Well, as it's come back to the topic of "the city", I'd like to share a burden. As it's been said, that Jeremiah spoke of this same Babylon, we know that the people of Babylon are proud. National pride is just as dangerous and to think they would say, "I sit as a queen" and "I am..." when captivity comes - how will those who find that they're in Babylon handle it?

When GOD lifts His Hand off of a nation and it's enemies become it's oppressors - what will happen to that pride?

My main concern is for those who will either faint or try to literally 'shoot it out' for freedom.
I only became aware that there are millions in this nation who have determined to do the latter, in 1998 and have since had that burden to try to talk Biblical sense into them, as others have.

Jeremiah told the people to basically, just go with their captivity and not try to fight it.
If you preach this to these 'patriots' of today, they want to shoot you.
But that was Jeremiah's message.
My heart is heavy and burdened for those who's national pride takes precedence over His Word and their allegience to our KING of King's Words - from the Old to New Testament.

I believe we need to be out there now helping folks to see what's coming and how true Christians should react when it does and to win the lost by sharing the reason for our hope.

If each person would just make their own towns or area their burden for when the time comes - they've done well.
And imagine, if each Christian would take on that commission for their own town - we'd have the whole country covered .... that's all it would take.

But, from what I've seen - most minds can barely go beyond their own lives, nonetheless care about even so much as the block they live on.

Well, we have a bit of time left. In the meantime, we can try to reach the non-non-resistance folks and spare them from blowing someone to Hell and risk their own salvation by doing so and take the message of these prophets who were shown the future to the Saints.
GOD give us wisdom from Above.

Bless you both and all.

Edit: I corrected my last post just now, realizing who wrote the post I mentioned from Jeremiah.
Sorry to the poster for my mistake.

2011/3/8 16:16
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
And imagine, if each Christian would take on that commission for their own town - we'd have the whole country covered .... that's all it would take.

Hhhhhmm - interesting challenge. Think I will take you up on it...as the LORD leads.

Any others?

2011/3/10 21:30Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy