SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Amazon Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Amazon Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks

A similar pattern has continued during January 2011 with 115 ebooks being sold for every 100 paperbacks.

The figure only relates to the US market and the number of ebooks sold on Amazon’s own e-reader device, the Kindle, which now accounts for 41.5 per cent of the e-reader market. Amazon is expected to sell more than eight million Kindles this year, up from 2.4 million last year, according to Bloomberg.

read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/amazon/8288204/Amazon-Kindle-ebooks-outsell-paperbacks.html

2011/2/1 18:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Amazon Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks

I love my Kindle. It's great for taking notes in books, and actually being able to find quotes you've highlighted before. If I wanted to do that with an old style book, I had to 1) remember which book the quote was from and 2) browse every page until I find it. Not to mention, this saves a ton of phyiscal storage space.

The only draw back is now if somebody interviewed you, it wouldn't be very impressive looking for you to sit in front of a kindle vs. a wall of books.

The only thing I DON'T like about the Kindle is that you can't resell your books. You are permitted to loan a book to somebody who has a Kindle though.

2011/2/1 19:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I have a Barnes & Noble Nook.

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical about it. I used to have a Franklin Electronic Bible...and it just wasn't something that I could get used to. However, I received this as a gift and decided to give it a try.

I am surprised at how versatile the Nook is. I already have several dozens of books -- including two different Bible versions, WHY REVIVAL TARRIES by Leonard Ravenhill and NO COMPROMISE (by Melody Green).

One of the advantages is that you can download pretty much ANY classic books for free. I can also go to one of our public or university libraries and "borrow" books at no cost.

My brother-in-law has an iPad with an app (either Kindle or Nook). He enjoys it quite a bit! However, one of the advantages of the Nook or Kindle is that there isn't a glare. The trade off is that there isn't a back light either.

Greg or Jimmy: Do you know a website where I can find some classic Christian ebooks for my Nook? Thanks!

2011/2/1 19:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Nook :-)

2011/2/1 19:16Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jimmy,

I do have Adobe Digital Editions and can use it to upload books into my Nook too. From what I understand, the same can be done for the Amazon Kindle too.

2011/2/1 19:19Profile
Compton

Re:

Besides publishing books on the Kindle. people can publish pamphlet sized writings as "Kindle Singles."--- piecess of writing between size of a newspaper feature and a few chapters of a book.

Sermon transcriptions would be good Kindle Singles.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101012006202/en

Also, blogs can be published to Kindle.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/05/13/kindle-publishing-now-open-to-all-blogs/

2011/2/1 22:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

An interesting note: Today I was reading Richard Foster's classic, "A Celebration of Discipline." The chapter was on "Simplicity." And I was reading about simplicity on my Kindle.

Rather ironic, no?

2011/2/2 0:26Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

The kindle is great! Im reading Roy Hession's "The Calvary Road", and it was free on amazon!

2011/2/2 9:11Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Amazon Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks

I really enjoy my Kindle. 95% of the books I have on it are old and therefore... free!!! They are pdf's I downloaded from books.google.com or archive.org.

Now granted, since they are pdf's, I can't do what Jimmy does with highlighting and such; but that is ok, I take notes in my notebook.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/2/2 10:31Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

I don't have a Kindle or Nook, but I do have an ereader,(Aluratek Libre) and it usually goes with me most places. The advent of the ebook is probably one of the best things to happen in Christian literature as it makes almost all older classic writings availible for free on certain sites. (www.ntslibrary.com) (www.ccel.org) While it is less impressive then a massive bookcase, it's pretty useful.(and economic!) I have a feeling that the trend of ebooks outselling printed books will continue as ereaders become more common and ebooks get cheaper. It's an investment to buy a 100-something ereader to save 100s of dollars on books. Most people probably see that.

-Mike W.

2011/2/2 11:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy