SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : does loving someone requiring liking them

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Blayne

Re: does loving someone requiring liking them

Hi! MaryJane

Having the same thought myself, I had to find a comfortable way of expressing just the opposite viewpoint for the strangers visiting the TLJ Site.

" Ummmm, not really love you ... but LIKE you! "

You can view the humorous solution I created at below Link:

SOUND ON

http://www.tolovejesus.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=186

:) :) :)

2012/6/29 22:54Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

by Blayne on 2012/6/29 19:54:32 wrote:

"Hi! MaryJane

Having the same thought myself, I had to find a comfortable way of expressing just the opposite viewpoint for the strangers visiting the TLJ Site.

" Ummmm, not really love you ... but LIKE you! "

You can view the humorous solution I created at below Link:

SOUND ON

http://www.tolovejesus.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=186

:) :) :)"

LOL

I like you too!

2012/6/30 8:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:

:) :) :)

So funny.

But.

I have been thinking a lot about this question,one that has dogged me for many years.

Does Jesus have something to say about it? Remember when he asked Peter after his resurrection - John 20 - whether he loved him? Peter would reply that he liked him - I was told that is what is implied in the original. But Peter's answer did not satisfy Jesus - he was persistent, asking him three times and on the third time he said he loved Him. Is there a lesson in this for us?

Does loving not go far beyond mere liking? Liking implies approval; loving looks beyond mere approval to the condition of the soul in light of eternity. So then this person will interpret your love as not love because you do not like his deeds. There is nothing an apostate likes better then to get the approval of godly people - he will think he is OK. But we cannot do that lest we become victims as well. Romans 1:32.

2012/6/30 9:44Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Love is an act of the will. Like is an emotion. I guess we could say that liking a person is having pleasant emotions toward the person, while loving them is acting toward them as Christ would act toward them, or rather allowing Christ to use us to demonstrate His love for them.

I once had a relative who was going through a hard time in his life. He became angry with me and actually hit me in the face with his fist. At the moment I did not like him for his actions, but the love of God in my heart compelled me to pray for him rather than to retaliate. How I feel is irrelevant. What I do is vital.

2012/6/30 9:50Profile
4gvn-or-4gtn

Re:

@ Jesus-is-God,

Her family does not have any relationship with God. Due to situations , she is in solitude. Literally. She rarely goes outside. In a 30 day period, she may go outside 5 times. She has only one person ( thousand miles away ) who stays in communication with her. That is maybe once a week.Her husband is the only one that prayed for her, now he has stopped. This hurts her, because she needs to be prayed for.If she knew someone was praying for her, perhaps it may help. If I am not out of line, and if the Lord permits , will you please pray for her?--- Actually please pray for ME? Please.

2012/6/30 15:52Profile

Re:

I think this is such a great question, because I have always thought the idea of "I love you, but don't like you" could only be said if we really did not understand love. The idea of liking someone, I think, is more of a self centered focused activity: you make me comfortable, happy, at ease, whatever. Therefor, I like you.
I think that God calling us away from self focus, and the love He supplies and displays in us " pays no never mind" to like. It is sort of a non issue. If you have ever dealt with criminals, or truly evil people, you can literally hate the darkness that has engulfs them, for their sakes and for the sake of those they have harmed. Yet you can sincerely desire that God save them, heal them, change them, and that they experience His tender mercies. that desire produces, sometimes to your own surprise, an affection for them.
In common daily situations where you may have met up with a personality that just does not click, here is an opportunity to build empathy, and sometimes, if that person finds it difficult to stay out of conflict, some distance is good. But to distance yourself doesnot require disliking them.

2012/6/30 16:26

Re:

Dear 4gvn - I was going to write to you again here. I've been offline and grieving heavily in the Spirit for this person that you've described - and here I find your post. Praise The LORD of Glory!
Dear Sister, maybe ginnyrose wouldn't mind if you send her an email and she could give you my # that begins with an 8.
I'm normally home after 9 EST. I don't know if that's alright with you and if not - 'please' don't be concerned about it ... because maybe you don't have long distance calling on your phone. In either case - I haven't been able to get your last post off of my mind and have been interceding with all my heart. The post touched me deeply.
Please know that there are also other prayer warriors here that will join with us in lifting this up to He Who loves us more than words could tell.

In the meantime - if you could do a search for a commentary on the Song of Solomon - but by an author with a familiar name ... such as Hudson Taylor, Watchman Nee or Richard Wurmbrand or any others with well known names like theirs.

Sincere blessings to you
with His Strength
and In His Love.

Sis Ann

2012/6/30 20:40
4gvn-or-4gtn

Re:

@Jesus-is-God,

PLEASE PLEASE FORGIVE ME for causing you grief, I had NO INTENTION of being a burden for you too.

I just am thankful that you were nice to me. Thank you again.

Please don't be mad at me.

Thank you

I just sent ginnyrose an email a few moments ago. I felt really awkward asking her for your number, so I enclosed a copy of your last post , a brief message for her and for you which also has my phone number. I am home all the time. You may call at any hour, any day.

Thank you

2012/6/30 23:24Profile
4gvn-or-4gtn

Re:

2012/6/30 23:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

4gvn,

I sent you Ann's phone number. I tried calling Ann last night after reading your post, hoping to get permission from her to come on here and offer you this contact info...

Hope you will find the guidance you so desperately need.

God bless.

ginnyrose

2012/7/1 0:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy