SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Day of Worship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
kwamenat

Day of Worship

Why come most protestants don't keep the 7th day sabbath? It is part of the 10 commandments and it is clear that it is the 7th day not the 1st day. Is there any biblical proof that the day of worship was changed to the 1st day. Also, it couldn't have been for the Jews only cause in Genesis 2:3 it states that "God blessed the 7th day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done". God's commandments is His Character and it will remain forever! If we are in Christ we will keep his commandments automatically. I just found it odd that most people see no problem with breaking this commandment. Please let me know what you think my dear friends.

2011/1/8 20:29Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Day of Worship

Hi kwamenat...

Welcome to the forums.

Many Christians tend to view that the Sabbath is part of the Law of Moses...which we are clearly not bound to under the New Covenant.

In Acts 15, the Church was faced with questions about which elements of the Law of Moses that Gentile believers would need to fulfill. Some Jewish believers were claiming that Gentile believers would need to be circumcised. However, the Apostles met in Jerusalem and made it very clear that the New Covenant would not make it "difficult" for believers to turn to God by forcing specific requirements in regard to the law (Acts 15:19).

Further, the New Testament talks about just how specific the idea of a "day of rest" came to be. The original Sabbath was meant to be REMEMBERED for God's finished work and kept "holy," in which HE rested (ceased) from the act of Creation. As believers, we have entered into that rest...full time. We are supposed to be holy and remember God's perfect work 24/7 (and not just one day a week). According to Hebrews 4:7, that "rest" is called "today." It isn't called "Saturday" or "Sunday." In fact, the early believers met DAILY in their homes (and elsewhere). Many believers feel that we are not confined to a particular day or some requirement from the Law of Moses (unless, of course, we feel inclined to fulfill the rest of the Law as well).

Anyway, I know that this might not answer your question. However, I hope that you understand that many believers feel that we have been "freed" from the law of "sin and death" and that we can serve the Lord with a clear conscience. We now are bound to the Law of Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1-2).

The Lord bless you!

2011/1/8 23:33Profile
kwamenat

Re:

Thanks for the feedback. The ceremonial law or mosaic law as a system is done away with in a sense but not 10 commandments. We will all agree that we should not kill, murder, steal, worship other things, etc but when it comes to sabbath day worship we throw that out and say it is part of the laws of moses. The 10 commandments is God's character and it will remain forever. It was written with His own fingers. It can be kept if we allow Christ to live in us. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law (Mat 5:18). I will have to look into Hebrews 4:7 because i read it several times but its somewhat difficult to comprehend but i am sure that the 10 commandments are not done away with. It cannot!

2011/1/9 10:31Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi kwamenat...

Actually, the ENTIRE Law of Moses has been fulfilled.

We are no longer bound by that law...but have become recipients of the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus -- which sets us FREE from the law of sin and death. The 10 Commandments were the anchor of the previous law. We are now anchored to two commands: 1. Love the Lord our God with all of our hearts, soul, mind and strength; and, 2. Love our neighbors as our selves.

Jesus expounded upon this during his Sermon on the Mount. He explained how the Law had been fulfilled. In Matthew 5, Jesus mentioned how the Law states that we should not commit adultery. However, Jesus lay the ax at the root -- and said that we should not lust. Jesus mentioned that the Law says that we should not murder...but that HE says that we should not be angry without cause. In other words, Christ's law supersedes the Law of the Old Covenant.

Still, look at the original command for the Sabbath:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:8-11).

Consider the verse, what would be the fulfillment of the Law, as eluded to by Christ Jesus in Matthew chapter 5? We are to remember the original sabbath day -- because God had finished His work. Now, what about the Old Covenant command to not "work" on the Sabbath day? Well, David, the apostles and even Jesus was "guilty" of breaking the letter -- but not the essence -- of the Law. The principle was kept -- to remember and rest in the completed work of God.

Still, I don't think that there is ANY reference in the New Testament that makes one believe that we are bound to any specific practices of the Law of Moses. If we endeavor to fulfill one of those requirements...then we might as well strive to finish all of them.

2011/1/9 15:19Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

This just came to me. I am simple in my relationship with the Lord. The law says to have a day of rest. A certain day. But we are no longer under the law but grace. So, if I work on a Sunday I choose another day of rest.

I rest from interceding of asking etc. and have a day of thanking the Lord for all His goodness and mercy and all the prayers He has heard and is working on. I have gone to nursing homes and ministered on that day as well. I am free.

But it is a heart attitude with me and a most beautiful day of all the week. A day of pure rest of praise, thanksgiving, worship. A day free of worry, anxiety and the things of this world. I have even sat with a family member and watched a football game. Grace! But my heart was flowing with a love relationship unhindered by the cares of this world resting in our love. All glory and praise to You!

2011/1/9 16:16Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Please let me know what you think my dear friends.

here is a link to an excellent article that covers your questions in detail...

http://www.exadventist.com/Home/Sabbath/tabid/53/Default.aspx

In Christ,

Ron

2011/1/9 18:46Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
here is a link to an excellent article that covers your questions in detail... http://www.exadventist.com/Home/Sabbath/tabid/53/Default.aspx

From that article:

"For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials; that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell." (Acts 15:28-29).

NOTICE that the Holy Spirit told them NOT to lay upon the Gentiles any greater burden than THOSE ESSENTIALS. OBVIOUSLY THE HOLY SPIRIT DID NOT THINK SABBATH KEEPING WAS AN ESSENTIAL THING ANYMORE!

----------------------

I thought that was excellent!

God bless,
Lisa

2011/1/10 0:50Profile
kwamenat

Re:

So are you implying that since murdering, stealing, covetousness, etc are not mentioned then we can go ahead and do it anyways. We cannot use 1 scripture to jump to such a conclusion.

I am surprise that many christians are bold to say that the 10 commandments are done away with. These were not ceremonial laws, these were commands written with God's own hands for mankind. It is God's constitution. The Sabbath was made for man (Mark 2:27). God in His infinite wisdom created a day for us to put all things aside including work so that we can spend a day reflecting with Him. This is not even legalistic. It is a privilege to put all things aside and spend a day with our God.

If we claim that the sabbath is done with then Matthew 24:20 will not even make sense.."But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day". This prophesy was about the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D 70. Even if you don't believe that it was something that will happen in the future. If the Sabbath command was to have been nullified by His death, Jesus Statement makes no sense at all.

It is no wonder why we find Paul consistently using the Sabbath for teaching both Jews and Gentiles (Acts 17:2; 18:4). Had the Christians been observing Sunday, they could easily have met the next day after their first Sabbath meeting.

"Here is the patience of the saints, here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." Rev.14:12

"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Rev. 22:14

We keep the commandments of God simply because We love God and we delight to do his will. We are not following rules (that will be legalistic) but Christ abides in us so we automatically keep the law of God).

We dare not say the law of God written with his own fingers is done with! IT WILL REMAIN FOREVER AND FOREVER. IT IS THE CHARACTER OF GOD.

2011/1/10 10:07Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Please consider this concerning this issue.

The Sabbath was a sign of the covenant between God and the sons of Israel. Any Israelite who violated the Sabbath was subject to capital punishment. It was not even considered an offense for a gentile.

The Sabbath was never a commandment to a single Gentile nation around Israel. They were not commanded to keep it then and there is no where in Scripture where they have ever been commanded to keep it.

The only exception to this is the "prosylite" who underwent circumcision to join the people of Israel. Such a person was required to keep the entire Law. This is what Paul is warning the Gentile Galatians about. Circumcision is the doorway to placing yourself under the entire Law and Paul wrote "DO NOT DO THIS!"

Those who try to place the keeping of the Sabbath upon a people whom Yahweh never gave the instructions to are contradicting the very law they are seeking to impose on others. Yahweh Himself did not do what they are seeking to do, therefore they are not speaking for Him now either.

makrothumia

2011/1/10 10:18Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi kwamenat...

Quote:
So are you implying that since murdering, stealing, covetousness, etc are not mentioned then we can go ahead and do it anyways. We cannot use 1 scripture to jump to such a conclusion.

I am surprise that many christians are bold to say that the 10 commandments are done away with.

No one implied this at all.

In fact, I previously mentioned that Jesus superseded the commands "Thou shalt not kill" by telling us that the principle forbids anger without cause. "Thou shalt not commit adultery?" Jesus superseded it by telling us that God forbids lust. If you take care of the anger without cause and the lust...you would fulfill the Law without being restricted by the letter thereof.

As for Paul teaching on the Sabbath, this was because his target audience met together on that day. No where under the New Covenant do we find people "confined" to a Sabbath. Believers met DAILY in their homes. Paul preached DAILY. Hebrews 4 tells us that TODAY is the new Sabbath rest for God's people -- and not some particular calendar day (Saturn Day) that has changed through history.

Besides, I have a question for you:

What do YOU think that we are supposed to do on a "Sabbath" day? Specifically?

As believers, we already remember the finished work of God on that day (and EVERY day). We also are supposed to be holy on that day (and EVERY day). Many Westerners avoid going to weekly work -- not just on Saturday, but on Saturday and Sunday (which goes against the "letter of the law" that we should work SIX days a week and rest on only one [Exodus 20:9-10]). Very few people actually work every day of the week.

You asked the question, "Why come most protestants don't keep the 7th day sabbath?" The answer is that most believers do not feel that we are confined to the Law. We feel that we have been liberated from the specific commands by fulfilling the underlying purposes for which God created the Law.

Consider Romans chapter 7:
Quote:

1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6 BUT NOW WE ARE DELIVERED FROM THE LAW, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 7:1-6

Romans chapters 7 and 8 speak extensively about the Law and how we have been set "free" from it (Romans 8:1-2). As I mentioned previously, the Apostles (in Acts 15) did NOT implore the new Gentile believers to follow the Ten Commandments. Why? Because the Spirit-guiding principles of the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus would cause us to fulfill those things. We don't have to be told that we should not commit adultery -- because we are not supposed to lust. We don't have to be told not to murder -- because we are not supposed to harbor anger or bitterness. IF we consider others before ourselves, we will not steal or covet those things that belong to others.

The Sabbath day, according to Jesus, was made FOR man (Mark 2:27). Why? It was a day that would be set aside by which man was to remember the finished work of God. God had completed His work. It was finished. However, our finished work took place at the cross. Jesus died and declared, "IT IS FINISHED!" (John 19:30). We now have a "rest" from God's completed, finished work. Hebrews 4 declares that rest to be "today." This isn't confined to a Saturday or Sunday. This is TODAY.

I am not trying to convince you of anything (and, I suppose, the same is true with you). However, I hope that this helps you understand where many of us are coming from in lieu of your original question.

2011/1/10 12:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy