SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Myth of “Preach the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words.”

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
DesiJr

Re:

Quote:
Do you know that there are men in China who walk around without saying a word, and people are convicted of their sin and need for a savior just by being in their presence?

This type of theology and logic is a ripe ground for the false doctrine warned against in Scripture.

Imagine if we all governed ourselves by our "feelings" and our "experiences" as chalked them all up to "moves of the Spirit"?

This is one of the biggest reasons for the wretched state of the Church today...Western philosophy being passed off as Christianity that leads to infecting places like Africa and China.

May our lives reflect the Gospel that we profess. And may the words we speak be the Oracles of God and not our own experiential gibberish that leads people to worship the gods of their own fancies.

2010/12/2 23:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
his type of theology and logic is a ripe ground for the false doctrine warned against in Scripture.

From what I've been told, this happened to Charles Spurgeon, people involved with the Azuza street revival, and many other prominent figures through Christan history. Paul Washer even talks about it in passing on his 10 Indictments sermon.

This has nothing to do with feelings. And this is not an excuse to just do nothing. This is the power of the Holy Spirit unrestrained.

It would seem that Satan's rather good at convicting the lost that they're in need of Christ.

Please provide where this is warned about as well, in Scripture.

2010/12/2 23:48
DesiJr

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps you will earn the right to share the Gospel with your co-worker because they know that you love them.

Wow! My dear brother, I pray that you would see that throughout Scriptural History no one ever waited to "earn the right to share the Gospel".

This is the exact reason to guard your heart from so easily receiving council and testimonies of "works of the Spirit" from anyone who claims to be a Christian.

Every true testimony and council will be confirmed by Scripture. We are to preach the Gospel at all times in all ways to all people, whether they want to hear it or not.

Where does it say in scripture to try and win over sinners through kind deeds and then wait for an opening to preach the offensive message of the cross? Human logic teaches this. Christ teaches otherwise.

Brother, you are confusing the mercy that God is showing the unsaved for allowance. God does not wink at sin. Those unconverted co-workers of yours are a stench in the nostrils of God. They are enemies of His purposes and Kingdom. The only chance they have for redemption is God's wonderful Grace expressed in the great and terrible message of the Cross.

2010/12/3 0:01Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Quote:
From what I've been told...

Frankly, I don't care what you've been told. What does the bible say? You just pointed out more experiential testimonies to back up bad doctrine.

Quote:
Please provide where this is warned about as well, in Scripture.

Below are verses that tell us that if we trust in our experiences to govern "truth" we will be led unto false gods and deception:

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Jude 1:8-10
8 It is the same with these people who have entered your group. They are guided by dreams and make themselves filthy with sin. They reject God's authority and speak against the angels.9 Not even the archangel[a] Michael, when he argued with the devil about who would have the body of Moses, dared to judge the devil guilty. Instead, he said, "The Lord punish you."10 But these people speak against things they do not understand. And what they do know, by feeling, as dumb animals know things, are the very things that destroy them.

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Colossians 2:8
8 Be sure that no one leads you away with false and empty teaching that is only human, which comes from the ruling spirits of this world, and not from Christ.

Hebrews 13:9
Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

1 Timothy 4:16
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Ephesians 4:14
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1 Timothy 6:1
Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 2:1
But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Romans 6:17
But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

2010/12/3 0:21Profile
humblescene

New York City

Re:

I believe the quote is and was never meant to be dug so deep into. Of course some people have almost eased their conscience with it.

I believe the quote was just a point a man was trying to make. Kinda like the scripture says. "faith with out works is dead". Are you living what you preach? Are you just talking? Are you just preaching on love, giving, Jesus and not actually being this in the world today. Like Paul said " We are living epistles" we are to be examples. It's often times not affective perhaps to preach the gospel and not live it.

I think we are not to ride on the latter part of that quote. "and if necessary use words" He never said don't use words and he never said that every time every day every moment it wont be necessary to use words.

There is a natural flow. Kinda like if we love God...then comes obedience. Perhaps if we truly live by example, if we faith with works whose to say that words don't flow all the time with that order.

But of course we all know it pleased God to use the foolisheness of preaching. It also pleases Him to find faith on earth when he comes. True faith is backed up with good works. True preaching is backed up with the necessary. Visiting the orphans, widows, the sick, the hungry, the poor, the lost.

These are just some thoughts

2010/12/3 0:37Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Amen and Amen.

2010/12/3 0:43Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I like the quote, and I preach the Gospel with words everyday.

If Christ is not living in you and your life shows it, your talk is nothing but filthy rags anyway.

So, preach the gospel, become all things to all men in order to win some, use words when needed, use actions when needed.

2010/12/3 1:08Profile

Re:

None of those verses spoke against anything that was mentioned whatsoever. You called it bad doctrine (though I don't remember anyone referring to it as doctrine yet) without addressing it specifically. That's not how this works. Again, where in the Bible does it say that the Holy Spirit cannot convict sinful men of their wickedness or start drawing people to Christ without a word ever being said?

The Gospel must be preached for salvation to be obtained, of that there's no question, but sometimes God will draw men into Himself and begin conviction before we ever open our mouths. John 12:32

Ever spent an extended period of time in a foreign country where you don't know the language, DesiJr?

I don't speak the language really at all where I live. When I meet someone who does speak English, I don't have any problem using my words to share Christ with them. But most people don't speak English here (or at least not well enough to understand much of what's being said). And I'm a slow learner of their language. So what can I rely on to preach Christ's Gospel? It most certainly is not words, friend. And I don't have time to waste, waiting until I can speak enough of the language to preach the Gospel either.

I've had situations here where once a lady just saw me at my friends house and said she could sense that there was something different about my heart, that it was a servants heart. That there was something different about me. This is an unsaved person saying this. She said this through another person who was roughly translating for her. I can promise you this, prior to that moment I hadn't said a word to her about the Gospel.

Another unsaved lady in the neighborhood always comes up to talk with me when she see's me (though we only cross paths on very rare occasions). She speaks no English, but I let her talk to my pastors wife on my cell. She told her my appearance sort of "shines" or something like that, (can't remember the exact word she used) and she senses something different about me, based solely on me being around her.

And these are not the only two accounts of something like this happening. Another missionary friend of mine told me once, that he had lived here for a year, and he had never seen anything like what would happen when I would just go out, in regards to the people here kind of being drawn in for no explanation.

And I can assure you of this, it has 100% zero to do with me. Honestly I really don't like talking about this sort of stuff, because it might make me sound puffed up, and that's really not how I want to come across. I asked and continue to ask God to do this through my life, simply because He does better work for conviction unto salvation than I ever could, and because I don't have the ability to speak to them in a verbal language that they can understand yet.

If you've lived through the same situation in a place where you've been completely unable to use your words, I'd love to hear your spin on it.

Quote:
So, preach the gospel, become all things to all men in order to win some, use words when needed, use actions when needed.

I think that words it nicely.

I like what Leonard Ravenhill said, "The world isn't looking for a new definition of Christianity, it's looking for a new demonstration of Christianity."

and also,

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument" (when understood Biblically)

2010/12/3 4:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy