SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Is This Explained?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spitfire

How Is This Explained?

I was reading the thread on knowing the will of God and something came to mind. To be honest with you, it comes to mind regularly for me. It is often said that the way we know God's will is to compare what we think we are hearing God say with the Word. We hear it said that God never contradicts his Word. How do we explain God telling Abraham to take Isaac up on a mountaintop and kill him? If a Christian started up some mountain with their kid today with stuff to build a fire to tie him to, the church would have a fit! How do we explain Moses mother putting him into a basket in a river? If a mother did that today, she would be arrested. How do we explain God telling Moses to go to Egypt to do what he had told him to do and then he meets him on the road to kill him? How do we explain Mary letting Martha do all the work? In churches today, that would be considered selfish. I have settled the answers to these things in my own heart, but I think many people do not understand what is meant by people saying God never contradicts his word. His word is full of dichotomy that reveals his Divine Nature. It reveals how God is concerned about the secrets of our heart. It's the heart God is after.

This is probably going to blow some folks minds, but yesterday morning, I realized I hadn't even asked God who he wanted me to vote for. I realized that I was planning to go down to the polls and vote based on my own assumption of what Jesus would do. When I stopped to actually pray, God arrested me. Now, did God have me vote for John Kerry because he wants John Kerry to win, or did God want me to vote for John Kerry because he was testing my obedience? I stood in that little tent and cried as I pushed the button. I released what little control I thought I had concerning the election into the hands of God. You know we feel so powerful in there pushing that little button. We think we are affecting the outcome of something in the direction we want it to go. God's ways are not our ways. We cannot afford to be fleshly in our interpretation of God's commands. We must ascend beyond our own understanding. I came home later, after I had voted and confessed to my family what I had done. I thought my husband was going to divorce me! They were appalled that I would do such a thing. To be honest, I was appalled that God had issued that challenge to me. But, I do believe it was God. In fact, I couldn't have done anything else. I tried to just not vote. I told God, "well, how about I just don't vote?" No! It isn't about being inactive, it's about obedience. We cannot figure God out. We just must trust in his character. He knows so much more than we do about what his is doing in the hearts of people. Maybe my voting for Kerry was nothing more than God testing my heart. I pray I never think I have God all figured out. I pray he can tell me to do anything, and even though I don't understand it, I will obey.

2004/11/3 5:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: How Is This Explained?

Quote:
it's about obedience. We cannot figure God out. We just must trust in his character. He knows so much more than we do about what his is doing in the hearts of people. Maybe my voting for Kerry was nothing more than God testing my heart. I pray I never think I have God all figured out. I pray he can tell me to do anything, and even though I don't understand it, I will obey.

Ah, Praise God!

This is THE issue. Thank you sister. If anything the Lord has been impressing on me is that it is in the seemingly 'small' things or at least that's the way my (our?) mind tends to process things. And I think you hit it square on the head, "Whatever HE tells [b]you[/b] to do, do it." Mary said. That's been stuck in my head now for the last couple of weeks.

Ah it's hard to share these things sometimes, thinking that you will give off the wrong impression but...Yesterday went to fetch some materials at the Home Depot. Came out and a guy about my age carrying a plastic anti-freeze bottle or maybe it was orange juice? approached me and asked if I had any change to spare. Being under the weather lately and a bit miserable I said "sorry brother, your timings bad". He put his head down and went on to another person in the lot. The guy didn't seem to be on drugs or any other thing, just hurting like so many of us.

I got in my truck and said out loud, "You stinking liar!" God forgive me!" Started reaching for some change as I watched him approach someone else who handed him a dollar it looked like...
Started doing the stupid rationalization thing, "Oh well somebody took care of him, besides I need to get back to work and besides he is already across the lot, blah, blah, blah"
I drove on away from him back towards work, asking God for forgiveness and repenting of my dis-obedience.

"If any asks of you....do not turn away"

"Yes Lord" "I know, I'm sorry"

"It's not to late, you could turn left here and..."

"But I should get back to work"

"Do you love ME Michael?"

"Gulp..."

I go a couple more streets, thinking about it, almost back to the house I am working on. Still dwelling on my stupidity in why I lied in the first place.

"Lord, I know I can't earn anything, You know my heart, I love to give...I'm sick Lord...(more ways than than one)..."

"Small things, the 'little' things..."

"It's too late now, I would never find him..."

"It's never too late Michael"

I took a left turn back toward's what would be the far side of Home Depot a couple of streets over, with the intention of stopping at the gas station to get some water and break the ten bucks I had and then go search for the man. I pulled into the gas station and...

There he was! Praise God, got some water, came out and he was heading up the street out by the traffic light, pulled up, rolled down my window and handed it all to him. He laughed, and smiled and was so appreciative. "Thank you brother, God bless you!" I said "No, God bless YOU brother", thinking if he only knew!

Drove on, thanking the Lord that He gave me another chance to right my wrong, to undo my dis-obedience...

"..unto the least of these...you have done unto Me.."

And I just cried. "It's all unto You Jesus"

2004/11/3 10:17Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

I can honestly say, that for the last few months, the one thing that God keeps impressing upon me is: Obedience.

Jesus even said, "not my will, but thine"

2004/11/3 10:38Profile
moreofHim

Re: obedience

Mike,

I am so 'humble' of you :-) (my daughter and I say humble instead of proud :-P ) I love to hear this!!! It gives me encouragement to see God stretching someone and them allowing and going with it. May the Lord bless you in an awsome way!

Obedience. To obey is better than sacrifice.

"The secret to true obedience is having access to His abiding fellowship. It is God's holy presence, consciously abiding with us, that keeps us from disobeying Him." A. Murray (Cool thought!)

Obedience: learning to TRUST His time, His place, His will :-)

Blessings everyone!!!

In His love, Chanin

1 Sam 15:22 "What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Obedience is far better than sacrifice. Listening to him is much better than offering the fat of rams.

2004/11/3 13:08Profile
moreofHim

Mark, (sorry didn't see your reply at first)

the Lord has also been speakng to me about obedience too. I actually dreamed about a magazine that had a big 'O' on it and it stood for Obedience. I am really seeing that He is speaking to me about obedience in my family life- this is the hardest for me. To give up my own dreams, wants, rights, control, etc.. in this area- down to the last detail. :-o

I can't tell you how many times I have caught myself (the one who always shouts 'surrender') with this thought running through my mind "but that's not fair, how come "I" have to be the one..." (me:"surrender that thought, surrender that thought")

I see I am still a beginner. "We do not want to be beginners. But let us be convinced of the fact that we wil never be anything else but beginners, all our life." T. Merton

In Him, Chanin

2004/11/3 13:25Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: How Is This Explained?

Yes, obedience is the best for, [i]"Rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as bad as worshiping idols." (NLT - 1 Samuel 15:23)[/i]

Concerning the will of God... on Monday I started reading through Genesis and "in the beginning" it was made [i][b]very[/b][/i] clear to me what the will of God was and is; [i]"Then God said, 'Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves... So God created people in His own image; God patterned them after Himself; male and female He created them... Then God looked over all He had made, and He saw that it was excellent in every way." (NLT - Genesis 1:26a, 27, 31a)[/i] This was the [i][b]whole[/b][/i] reason people were created, to reflect God's image and like Noah, [i]"... consistently followed God's will and enjoyed a close relationship with Him." (NLT - Genesis 6:9b)[/i] That's it! And it's [i][b]that[/b][/i] simple!

So... maybe that will relieve the stress off those of you who may be desperately trying to figure out what the will of God is for your life. Reflect His image through consistently following God's will and enjoying a close relationship with Him. [i]"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (NKJV - Matthew 6:33)[/i]

2004/11/3 13:45Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
I see I am still a beginner. "We do not want to be beginners. But let us be convinced of the fact that we wil never be anything else but beginners, all our life." T. Merton

Oh Chanin, this is good! I always used to be using my so called Christianity trying to attain some measure of recognition in life. I've had to give that up, as well. I'm beginning to be more content to be a nobody among nobodies. I love walking with you grasshoppa! Dian.

2004/11/3 16:46Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Not too long ago...I went to my car, that was parked in a public parking lot.
As I opened the door to get in, a crumpled coke can fell to the ground. (No, my floor board is not trashed ;-) )At any rate, my first thought was to leave it on the ground and drive off. However, as clear as a bell, I felt strongly impressed to pick the can up. I had already begun to drive away, but went back and picked it up. Upon doing so, I felt a strong peace come upon me, and I almost began to cry! This really wasn't about littering...and this may sound silly. But I knew at that instant, and know now...that God was simply asking me to be obedient. Even with "little things".
I'm learning to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
I almost didn't write this, because it might sound silly, but I knew at that moment it was God.
And it really wasn't about littering, or allowing a can to drop to the ground un-noticed, but about my obedience to Him....to His voice.
His still small voice.

2004/11/3 17:10Profile
Am_Lovin_HIM

Phoenix, Arizona

Re:

I too find myself being impressed, it is about the small things. He wants us to have integrity even down to a penny's worth. But you add the penny's up and what happens? You have a dollar and so on. We are to press on toward the high calling He has given us.

God wants our faithfulness in all we are and all we do.
If HE can trust us with the smaller things of life then He will entrust us with the eternal things of life.
Keep on being obedient. We must endure to the end to be saved.
Blessings to you,
Am_Lovin_HIM

2004/11/3 17:10Profile
moreofHim

hello fellow grasshoppas :-) ,

Dian, I know what you mean. Luckily the Lord is good at reminding me that, though I am fearfully and wonderfully made, I am also just a speck in His big universe. Whenever I think I have
"arrived", He shows me that I have not arrived anywhere except on my face :-o I can truly say I am grateful for this. I want so much to be humble for Him. I don't want to disgrace His name.

Mark,

I know exactly what you mean as well. I have times like that too. This verse always comes to mind when I am tempted to not follow through with full obedience "...in whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

So you glorified God in picking up that can. halleluiah! :-)

It is indeed that little things that He tests us with.

In Him, Chanin

2004/11/3 17:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy