SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Tabernacle of David

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Tabernacle of David

Almost two thousand years ago, the Lord Jesus Christ made this great declaration, "I will build My church." Down through the ages He has been building. Unfortunately, man has been building also. And the work of man is always detrimental to the work of God...even when it is done in His name.

In the first century the church was begun among the Jews. It wasn't until Peter preached to Cornelius that there were any Gentile converts. And it wasn't until some Greeks in Antioch believed, that a Gentile church came into being. When Jews from the church in Jerusalem visited Antioch, they began insisting that the Gentile believers in Christ also convert to Judaism in order to be legitimate. Well, the whole complicated issue had to be sorted out with the apostles and elders in Jerusalem, so Paul and Barnabas and others went up for the meeting - perhaps the most important meeting in church history.

At the end of the talk and debate, Peter recounted how the Gentiles were first saved, receiving the Holy Spirit by simply believing the word of the gospel. Their hearts were cleansed by faith without the benefit or the burden of the Mosaic law. Finally, James summed up what the Holy Spirit had been speaking during the meeting -- that the Gentiles who had been saved by faith needed nothing more than what had already been provided by Jesus Christ. When he rendered this judgment, James quoted the following Old Testament scriptures as bearing witness:

And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written, After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." Acts 15:15-18

In these amazing Scriptures, James and the Holy Spirit equate the tabernacle of David with the Gentile church. Why the tabernacle of David? Why not the tabernacle of Moses? Why not Solomon's temple?

Because in the tabernacle of David, God has given us a special foreshadowing of the church.

Why do you think the Holy Spirit equated the tabernacle of David with the Gentile church?

2010/10/5 23:15
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re: The Tabernacle of David

Quote:
Because in the tabernacle of David, God has given us a special foreshadowing of the church.

"As the ark of the LORD came into the city of David"
(2 Samuel 6:16.)

The City of David, which is Zion, is where the ark was placed, in a tent that David pitched for it. First he took Zion by force from the Jebusites."Nevertheless, David took the stronghold of Zion, that is, the city of David." (2 Samuel 5:7) This can be seen as Jesus binding the strongman and making a way to Zion. Paving the way of holiness. The way of the cross. Then David brought the ark to the tent he had prepared for it. And he did it with much joy, while others, like Michal scorned him. This can be seen as Jesus leading his Church to eternal glory in Zion. The joy set before him in the midst of scorn and persecution. For Jesus has prepared a place for us and leads us home. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? (John 14:2). And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.(Isaiah 35:10)

Praise God! Jesus made a way and leads us home! the world may hate us but he has overcome the world! God loves the Gates of Zion! His beloved children enter there with joy unspeakable. He endured the cross for the Joy set before him. How he delights in those who walk in the Way!

2010/10/5 23:30Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

There is a stark contrast between the tabernacle of Moses being the foundation of carnal ordinance under the law and the tabernacle of David built upon an understanding of the true desire of God to have mercy rather than sacrifice. I don't think it has anything to do with the physical buildings of course as they were practically identical in layout and in function although one was a tent and the other a stone building. David had an understanding of what it was the God truly desired. His was a tabernacle of praise as well. The 24/7 worship that went on there must have been fantastic. This was not required by law, but was instituted by David. David had great insight into God's desire to restore man to right relationship through mercy rather than through the sacrificial systems of the law which, by the way, could never restore man to right relationship as they could never make those offering the sacrifices perfect before God. David understood something more than this and had a glimpse of the new covenant.

2010/10/6 8:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

In these amazing Scriptures, James and the Holy Spirit equate the tabernacle of David with the Gentile church

Actually, the tabernacle of David is not equated to the Church in these Scriptures. "The tabernacle of David," in the prophetical writings, of which Acts quoted, was specifically refering to the fallen throne of David. At the time of the deportation of the Jews from their land to Babylon, the "tabernacle of David" fell and ceased to exist. Jesus Christ, the Messiah, has restored the fallen theocratic throne, as the prophets had anticipated.

Naturally (or should I say, supernaturally), as the Church, we have been made partakers of David's house, Jew and Gentile alike. But the phrase, "tabernacle of David," is a label specific to the dynasty of the the kings of Judah, beginning with David.

We must be careful to not spiritualize prophecy. We need to be careful to read it in its historical and grammatical context.

2010/10/6 9:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

And just an additional note: What we have in the restoration of the tabernacle of David, is the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham, that through his seed (Christ) all the nations of the earth would be blessed. The raising up of the Messiah, on the throne of David, of the nation of Israel, is prophetically significant in the releasing of God's universal blessing to all of mankind in the earth.

2010/10/6 9:44Profile

Re:

Amen Pilgrim, amazing Scriptures indeed1

These Scriptures, in the context of Acts, were of course, referring to the Church. How amazing that the tabernacle of David would be raised up in Christ. Just a few short years after this meeting, the system and the Temple would cease to exist.

"Naturally (or should I say, supernaturally), as the Church, we have been made partakers of David's house, Jew and Gentile alike. But the phrase, "tabernacle of David," is a label specific to the dynasty of the the kings of Judah, beginning with David.

We must be careful to not spiritualize prophecy. We need to be careful to read it in its historical and grammatical context."

Spoken like a true textulist, very sad. We must have ears to hear what the Spirit says and not just ears to hear what the professors say...........brother Frank

2010/10/6 9:51
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Spoken like a true textulist, very sad.

I'm sorry you don't believe in being faithful to the literal interpretation of Scripture. The Spirit says what the text says, not imagined allegorizations. Don't get me wrong, there are places for allegorizations. I've used them and will use them, and the Biblical authors used them. But, based on what the text says, this isn't appropriate in this instance.

Scripture has so much rich meaning. Let's draw from "the plain meaning of the text" first, and secondary meanings, when appropriate. In this instance, Peter was being a "textualist" and meaning what the prophet spoke.

2010/10/6 10:21Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

A great sermon, on this very topic by the way:

Art Katz - Restoring the Tabernacle of David.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=12166&commentView=itemComments

A (short) complimentary essay by Art would also be:

On Interpreting the Scripture - https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=23557

2010/10/6 11:25Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Christ is foreshadowed in
the tabernacle. Everything
within the tabernacle points
to the atoning work of the
Savior!!

2010/10/6 11:43Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Quote:

Yes, of the church. But not specifically the churches of the Gentiles.

Quote:
Why do you think the Holy Spirit equated the tabernacle of David with the Gentile church?

The Holy Spirit equated not the Gentile church, but the bringing of the Gentiles INTO the church, with the tabernacle of David. And the reason is because the tabernacle of David had none of the ritual of the Law attending it. It was something new and prophetic that God inspired David to bring into being. There were no sacrifices offered there, nor any of the priestly ritual. And all it had in it was the Ark.

And so when the elders and apostles gathered to examine the controversial question of whether Gentiles who believed in Jesus were required to keep the Law, after much discussion, this is what happened:

--They all spoke their minds about this, and then the whole gathering came to a time of quietness (Acts 15.13).

--Then James spoke up and summed things up, saying that Peter (Simeon) had declared how God had begun to "take out of the Gentiles a people for His Name" (15.14).

--And the prophets agree with this, James said (15.15). James could have quoted any one dozens of passages from the prophets that speak of the bringing in of the Gentiles, but he chose this one from Amos 9.11,12 quoting from the Septuagint:

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David which is fallen down, and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue (or remnant) of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom My name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Known unto God are all His works from the beginning of the world" (15.16-18).

--And so James concluded that since the tabernacle of David was not associated with the ordinances and rituals of the Law, the Gentiles could be brought into this new work of God-- the New Covenant-- without keeping the Law of Moses. James did suggest that the Gentiles observe two or three things just by way of being inoffensive to Jews who were still observing the Law of Moses in their area (15.19-21).

And so, the tabernacle of David, I believe, is prophetic of the New Covenant-- and of the church-- in which "the residue of men," that is, men from both Judah and Israel, AS WELL AS the Gentiles upon whom God's name is called, might come together as one in a very unstructured kind of way-- in just a tent with the Presence of God-- the Ark-- being its one distinguishing characteristic. That's by and large what characterized the early churches. The early churches in their simplicity were the fulfillment of this beautiful order called the "tabernacle of David."

...Something from which church in our day, generally speaking, has sorely departed.

(What I've said above is a short summary of this. For more on it see From Tent to Temple at www.georgewarnock.com.)

2010/10/6 11:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy