SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : Rick Warren

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: Rick Warren-itis

Q. "Hello! Is Rick Warren a recommendable source?"

A. No! No! No!

I'd repeat EverestoSama's posts on this thread if I thought it'd help,but I'll rather trust that the Holy Spirit will convict His people and lead them to the truth in this matter.

I'll but add the following:

Rick Warren Teams Up with New Ager Leonard Sweet

Rick Warren has invited New Age proponent Leonard
Sweet to speak at the 2008 Saddleback Small Groups
Conference called Wired.

1 The theme of the conference is "Prepare your church for spiritual growth and connectivity."

Unfortunately, spiritual growth and connectivity ala Leonard Sweet could be a panentheistic, mystical dose of the New Age - and it isn't the first time Warren has found comradeship with Sweet.

Purpose Driven Resisters - Must Leave or Die

Those who oppose the "program" are called leaders from hell.

One of the tools Rick Warren uses to help churches
become Purpose Driven is a book called,

Transitioning: Leading Your Church Through Change.

The book is sold on Rick Warren's website and is written by Dan Southerland. According to pastors.com (Rick Warren's
website to pastors), Southerland is the director of
"Church Transitions Inc., an organization that trains
pastors and church leaders to effectively manage major
transitions. Southerland ... is the leading expert on
implementing the Purpose Driven paradigm in existing
churches."

Chapter six of Transitioning is called "Dealing with
Opposition" and is just one of many ways Rick Warren
tries to convey the fact that those who oppose him are
less than desirable. Southerland states:

We have experienced two major sources of criticism
during our transitions. The first is Christians from
more traditional backgrounds.... Not all of our
traditional backgrounded Christians have been critical
- just the ornery ones. Our second source of criticism
is traditional church pastors. Again, not all
traditional church pastors - just the meaner ones (p.
116).

Southerland tells readers that "some folks are going
to get very angry." He goes so far as to liken
opposers of Purpose Driven to "leader[s] from hell."

He says:

If you have read Nehemiah recently, you will remember
that Sanballat is Nehemiah's greatest critic and
number one enemy. Let me put it plainer than that.
Sanballat is a leader from hell. We all have some
Sanballats in our churches. This is the guy who
opposes whatever you propose.... You cannot call this
guy a leader from hell to his face - but you could
call him Sanballat (p. 115).

I ask! Has Warren repented of just this one of many evils he has instigated against our God!

God's judgement is upon this false prophet and those who follow. Whether the name be Glenn Beck,Barrack Obama,Benny Hinn,or the present Pope (you may add many others to the list),it is but the judgement of God upon those who receive not the love of the Truth as it is in Jesus and His Gospel.

Bless God.

2010/10/5 15:40Profile
nearthecross

Re: To Greg

Quote:
I just added a message Rick Warren preached at the desiring God conference (John Piper's) to sermonindex.net I used to have a very bad view of Rick Warren but after spending some time following what he is saying and hearing his heart I realize I mis-judged him. He is not perfect but neither am I. I can learn much from Rick Warren.

Greg,

This is one of the many reasons why I can no longer recommend or endorse Sermonindex to anyone. It is extremely grieving to see the error your lack of discernment is leading you to. Not just with Warren but with other heretics that openly embrace perfectionism, Pelagianism, Moral Government theology, and Open Theism.

I've been a faithful follower of Sermonindex for many years, and have been blessed and edified by many a sermon on this site. However, other messages and preachers that you endorse have been a huge stumbling block for me, bringing me nothing but demonic clouds of confusion and condemnation. It's taken about a year and a half of the Lord working on my heart and filtering some of the garbage--and unlearning the faulty doctrine--I received from this site...but now by God's grace I've reached the point in my walk with Him where I can say that I'm no longer like "children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes" (Ephesians 4:4). The Lord has brought a measure of stability in my life, and I pray it continues that way. But this only came after taking a break from this site, delving into the Word, letting go of my own traditions, and after God allowed me to feast on the meat of sound, exegetical, and profound theological preaching.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm nothing without the grace of God, and by no means have I "arrived" anywhere. I've still a long, long way to go; I still "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

But I would only like you to prayerfully consider that in the name of "revival" and "unity" you are glancing over much dangerous leaven and error, and promoting false teachers...and you WILL have to give an account before the Lord for this grave error.

You don't know me, and I don't really know you. I have always assumed and hoped in love that you were a genuine brother in the Lord. And for the sake of Christ I will continue to hope and believe this, and say that I love you as a brother. But bearing in mind what our Lord told us about "causing one of these little ones to stumble", I would not want to be in your shoes.

I plead with you in love to not harden your heart, seek the Lord and ask Him to search your heart and reveal to you if you truly are in sin with respect to all of this. Prayerfully search the Scriptures and examine some of these preachers in the light of the Word (some of the particularly problematic ones have already been discussed and debated on these forums, but if you want I can give you a list of those that have personally been a stumblingblock for me). Please don't allow this leaven to spread any longer, or else the confusion and error WILL become worse... and I fear for what may happen to you, Sermonindex and the Revival Conferences.

May God bless you and restore you to repentance.
Aaron

2010/10/5 16:27Profile

Re:

I like Rick Warren.

Every time I have heard him speak, he's quite radical in the fundamentals of God's word. I haven't read the Purpose Driven Life, I have only heard the pro's and con's from others, so I really don't know whats in the book. I had absolutely no leading to read it.

He's featured on TED.com if your interested in hearing his take on the Purpose Driven Life.

I personally don't think he is an anti Christ, or is trying to deceive anyone. Some have said that his message is watered down, so far from what I have heard he is no different than the average pastor. Mind you if he came to my corner of the world, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see him.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rick_warren_on_a_life_of_purpose.html

2010/10/5 16:37
TruthNLove

California

Re:

2010/10/5 17:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
This is one of the many reasons why I can no longer recommend or endorse Sermonindex to anyone. It is extremely grieving to see the error your lack of discernment is leading you to. Not just with Warren but with other heretics that openly embrace perfectionism, Pelagianism, Moral Government theology, and Open Theism.

It is equally extremely grieving to hear you put down other people. By the way, what other heretics are there that are on this site, maybe it would be of great interest to all who these speakers are?

If your going to put down Brother Greg for his lack of discernment in displaying these sermons by people that you consider heretics, you may as well go further and list them.

Lets have em!!

2010/10/5 17:57

Re:

not a Rick Warren fan anyways, never have been, never will be. I think we esteem these men way to much in the first place. There are probably many preachers that are archived on SI, that we would not agree with. We can glean from somethings these men teach, but I think we waste to much time, listening to sermons and not making are own! I was one he would stay up late and listen to sermon after sermon. Instead of spending that time with myself and God.

Mike

2010/10/5 20:08
knitefall

Re:

Eh? this is just another post where those who know the truth share but it is not received by those who think they know the truth.

no harm, just saying this will go no where, as the object has shifted to a war on who is right/wrong. Warren knows what he is doing, he has studied people and deception for years to be able to do what he does.

Please do not argue over the man, it grieves God. Just endure in the Covenant Love He has set for us already.

Your Bro, Shawn.

2010/10/5 22:29Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi knitefall...

Quote:

Warren knows what he is doing, he has studied people and deception for years to be able to do what he does.

Is this an opinion, or do you have some sort of inside information and firsthand testimony that this man (Warren) has "studied people and deception for year?"

I am not a big fan of some of the things that I have heard that Rick Warren teaches/believes. Yet I am also struck by the immense amount of "discernment" websites that are quick to form opinions on the man. It is NOT discernment to form an opinion entirely on reading things in websites and books that are critical of what the man supposedly teaches. Rather, true discernment is not swayed by the opinions or views of others. It sifts through the "spin" and looks for the truth of a matter.

I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert into all things Rick Warren. I have NEVER read a single one of his books. I have NEVER even listened to a sermon by the guy! However, I have seen quite a few fingers pointed at him. Some have even pronounced eternal sentence upon him!

We need to be careful not to bear false witness upon the guy. To do this, we need to search for truth about the matter ourselves rather than rely on some other person who supposes themselves to be a qualified expert in this matter. After all, there have even been people here on SermonIndex who claimed that Rick Warren wants to create a "one world religion" -- which is based upon nothing more than silly speculation coupled with finger pointing from many "discernment" websites.

Again, I am not a fan of Rick Warren. I don't listen to him. I am certainly not an expert in this man's teachings, beliefs, books or, of course, his heart. However, I also don't like to be lied to about specific allegations regarding "bad preachers" either. I have seen this happen in several "ministry" websites. If we want to entertain such specific allegations about a person, we might as well get it right.

Quote:

Please do not argue over the man, it grieves God.

Is it possible that you have "argued" over the man by making such a bold declaration about whether he "studied people and deception" for years in order to do what he does?

If people want to discuss Rick Warren and scrutinize his specific beliefs, it would help if they could acknowledge the depth of their knowledge on the subject and whether or not they gained such knowledge from firsthand inspection or secondhand resources. I think that it is always good to be slow in casting an opinion of someone based upon the research of ANY person...because that person is fallible.

Anyway, I doubt that I will look into Rick Warren anytime soon. I just don't have time to go about disproving every preacher that I disagree with. In addition, I don't want to be the person who places a scarlet letter on their reputation. It is far more helpful, I think, to teach people "truth" rather than try to go around pointing out every supposed "lie." If we teach people spiritual truth, then they are more than able to discern what lines up with the Word of God.

If I happen to download a Rick Warren sermon here at SermonIndex, I will do my best to separate the wheat with the chaff -- as we should do with EVERY teacher.

I Thessalonians 5:21

2010/10/5 23:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I've been a faithful follower of Sermonindex for many years, and have been blessed and edified by many a sermon on this site. However, other messages and preachers that you endorse have been a huge stumbling block for me, bringing me nothing but demonic clouds of confusion and condemnation.

Brother,

I trust that God will lead you to the greatest revelation of Christ in us: Love. The first speaker I had on the site was Leonard Ravenhill, the second A.W. Tozer and the third: T. Austin Sparks. These men were not reformed but men who "knew" God. If you claim men like this who were so used of God are ministers of condemnation then I am very sad for you.

I love God and truth. Jesus Christ is life to me and salvation is in His Cross and Blood. May we not polorize to one facet of truth but look at the whole and see God "real" in our daily lifes a life free from guilt and a life victorious over sin.

All because of Christ.

2010/10/6 0:18Profile

Re: Rick Warren

Emergent church doctrine in general, plays to man's flesh through a measurable amount of legalism, which is burdensome to those who do know the Lord, who have His Spirit, and who feel the Holy Spirit wince when untruth is proclaimed, or, because of the unsoundness of the whole construct. However, many of the issues arising are extremely subtle.

Brother nearthecross brings out an important point:

Quote:
The Lord has brought a measure of stability in my life, and I pray it continues that way. But this only came after taking a break from this site, delving into the Word, letting go of my own traditions, and after God allowed me to feast on the meat of sound, exegetical, and profound theological preaching.

'delving into the Word, letting go of my own traditions,'

Much of what goes unnoticed by the congregation in an emergent church setting, is what they themselves bring by way of doctrinal culture (if they have one), or, their impressions of who God the Father and Jesus the Son are, gained from media outside the church, and the doctrine inside the church.

In the end, the sheep will bear some responsibility for whether they followed the voice of the true Shepherd, or, they comforted themselves with the thought that tens of thousands of people cannot all be wrong, spending more time being 'supported' in their 'faith', than making sure they followed Jesus' imperative 'must' - to be born again. To be sure, only by reading the BIBLE, are many mysterious truths brought to within our ken.

It is amazing to me, and something I ponder regularly, how pure the written word of God is; what an aggitant it is against sin; what a power it has to reveal truth to a believer's spirit, which, if brought to bear in renewing the believer's mind, with transform him or her, permanently.

2010/10/6 1:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy