SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Still Small Voice???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Good thoughts. Lately, I have listened to several people who talk about listening to the still small voice of the Spirit, and these folks aren't exactly evangelical Christians. At Church one of the pastors is teaching from a Bill Hybles book about the "whisper" of God's voice. As a result of all of this, I started reflecting upon the Scriptures as well as my own experience as a Christian, and after thinking about it, I must say I can't say I really agree that such a description is an accurate Biblical description of God's voice, and hearing it.

Jesus said His sheep would know His voice, and the testimony of Scripture seems to be that His sheep have always recognized His voice. Far from being some almost indiscernable muffle, whenever a person hears from God in the Scriptures it is always a clear and crisp message. And this makes sense, for sheep have an amazing ability to hear. So much so they can tell the bleeting of their offspring apart from other sheep, even in the midst of a large herd.

I don't hear from the Lord too often. But when I do, it's a very powerful experience that captures my attention. And far from being a fuzzy message that I'm unsure on some points as to what He is saying, I've always found His speaking to be very clear and crisp. The "thought" I hear is so loud to me, that I might as well be hearing an audible voice. Indeed, perhaps one could even go so far as to say it is audible, even if nobody else hears it but me.

To me, this seems to be consistent with the testimony of Scripture. As a result, I don't feel fear that I might "miss God" in His speaking should He want to tell me something, or speak through me to another.

Thanks for the feedback. More is welcomed. :-)

2010/10/1 6:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Jimmy, you wanted scripture to substantial ones position. I have an insight ....

The Scriptures talk much about how the word of the LORD came to this person or another and said....These people had a close walk with the LORD in order to have this kind of communication. How did this happen? Did the individual have anything to do with this closeness? I suspect the hearts' desire of the individual had everything to do with it: "Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you." If these Biblical characters could have such a close walk with God, then this possibility exists for us moderns, including me.

Knowing this to be the reality I now turn to the LORD and ask Him to teach me to recognize his voice when he speaks. When this is a heart felt cry He will answer and we will not be quibbling about what it sounds like nor what form it will take. It is simply a communication of His spirit with mine.

This is where I am presently at in communicating with the LORD. It requires total concentration and willingness to surrender my own logical reasons of the moment. And I am still learning - mostly to submit.

2010/10/2 9:18Profile

Re:

Ginnyrose writes........

""Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you." If these Biblical characters could have such a close walk with God, then this possibility exists for us moderns, including me.

Knowing this to be the reality I now turn to the LORD and ask Him to teach me to recognize his voice when he speaks. When this is a heart felt cry He will answer and we will not be quibbling about what it sounds like nor what form it will take. It is simply a communication of His spirit with mine."

Amen sister, a debate over the volume of God speaking seems quite strange:) I think you hit the nail on the head with the Scripture " Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you." This is certainly about a man or womans walk. This should be a daily walk, walking in the Spirit. If we do not draw close to the Lord we should not expect to hear from, loudly or quietly.........brother Frank

2010/10/2 10:12

Re:

Thanks for posting that Ginnyrose. It spoke a good deal to me.

2010/10/2 10:30
Jeremy221

Re: Volume and volume

Great points Ginny and Frank,

I think the other essential belief you need to walk in daily is the expectation that God speaks regularly to His children and has wisdom and guidance for all areas of their lives, even things that may seem inconsequential or contrary to our expectations. This listening is a perpetual condition of waiting with an expectation to hear, it's the natural walking out of the rest of God.

2010/10/2 10:50Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I agree Ginny. By drawing near to the Lord and knowing Him we shall in turn know His voice. Thus "My sheep shall KNOW My voice." The emphasis here is on knowing your God, and indeed not on the "volume" as Frank said.

I only bring up the issue of "volume," out of concern that the exhortation of some to search for a still small voice might be misleading, and in my opinion has new age-ish overtones. Indeed, it could take people away from the true knowledge of God, and cause them to think every inward impression or voice is the Lord. For we live in a world where many voices are trying to speak to us.

Which is why we need to be grounded in our knowledge of Him, so we can know His voice.

2010/10/2 11:24Profile

Re:

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

The voice of the Lord, the great Shepherd is unmistakable to His sheep. The security of " knowing," Jesus is priceless.........brother Frank

2010/10/2 11:42

Re:

All excellent points!

This will be added as a final note from these quarters.

There is a specific process i have gone through
--(though this was not realized until now, that Hearing His voice clearer is part of the results)--
that have helped here more than all else to recognize His voice, and it has been a process towards this one thing, in that His voice is heard more and more clearly as time passes.

<> <> <>

Sidenote:
(It probably will seem strange that me nearing 50, would be so fond of riding bicycle. Yesterday morning, i thought i would take my 'chrome horse' (jk) to work bringing my dog with.
--(He's a Chow/German Shepherd, form looking like a 2/3rds sized Shepherd with traces of Chow(Irish Setter red, his back half with traces of this red brendled. God gave me a beautiful dog. Thank you Lord!)--
Anyway, b4 i went out to the garage, God told me the rear tire was flat but walk it anyway. i looked and it didn't seem flat . . . and i thought to myself, the Lord has never ever decieved me before; but starting out, being low, it went flat in less than one block . . . so i continued then, as instructed.
(Normally, habit is repair it on the spot. Hardly was it known this would lead to opportunity in witnessing about God in my life to the one who would shortly give assistance to this 'poor soul who walked a bicycle with a flat'. )

God cares for us so much, He will tell us what needs be done in every situation. The question is how well will we listen and follow through. ( If not humbly listening for His voice and advising, what we hear seems goes against what is normal for us to do in this world; and we can tend to discount what is told us as the imaginaries).

<> <> <>

Anyway, as previously stated in the first post frm here on this thread, i hear His voice regularily, but it has not always been like this.

Ginny Rose's post is what made me consider the things that brought me to this point.

Here they are in a nutshell and though they are the ways in which God is ever drawn nearer towards, these are Biblically specific things that have helped make this come about:

(this is not going to be neatly written as it is all considered one thing by me)

Exercising the senses to discern good from evil
through dropping ALL preconceptions with any other concerns
and on bended knees in prayer,
looking to the scriptures
as our beginning point
towards the very Source and Finality
of our lives in the living.

(Between flooding conscious memory with scripture and comparing everything happening around us to what God has testified in His word, his voice becomes clearer.)

If it were to be innumerated, this is how i might detail it:

1. Fearing God
2. Humble seeking and acknowledging Him in all things thought, said and done
3. Recognizing all scripture as our absolute standard
4. Ever in prayer, worshipping and agreeing with God that He is always right we bind ourselves to Him. (It's called abiding)
5. Applying these 4 things to our outward happenstances,
discernment grows and with it, hearing His voice more clearly more and more all the time.

May the fullest grace and peace be yours
in Jesus Christ,
listening to follow His counsel alone,
gregg

p.s. this being persisted in, even when things might seem to be getting totally out of control, so that we may be ready to throw in the towel and up our hands, He, from the inside outward, comes along side and shows us the way.
Prov. 3.1-12

2010/10/2 18:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy