SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Report Reveals Salaries of Megachurch Pastors

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
noone

United States

Re:

Thanks ADisciple for your thoughts! I wonder what others thoughts are on this subject. Is there really any "church" that functions this way? I live in such a small rural area with all the normal denom's we have been "out of church" for over a year. We have attended a church a few times that has just started up it has great true preaching and prayer but it is following in the traditions of "normal church" and we are praying about entering the system again.....

2010/9/20 22:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
e starts his day at 3 am, and ends it at about 10 pm. He preaches about 4-5+ times a week, and is ultimately in charge of dozens of ministries within our church.

I know a lot more people who work harder, work two jobs, serving God and family and don't make even close to that.

2010/9/21 7:08
jimp

Re:

hi, a few months ago at our 11 am service 80 people responded to the invitation for salvation... 20 were members who brought the 60...healthy sheep beget sheep.. we are all ministers with a chance to lead a cell group or be a leader(servant) in many other areas we have over 1000 cell groups...we have 7000 youth for we have leaders in all the schools in our city... we have started 20000 churches around the world in the last 10 years...we have many pastors and one senior pastor...we meet in metal buildings and use most of the money for the mission outreach in many other areas.how much is this worth to you?my pastor worked with brother andrew in ussr...was a missionary to africa for years and was a chaplain at oru...this training and wisdom is pricless and lives on his salary and takes no gifts...we supported a r.bunkey meeting in africa when a man gave my pastor a million etc.jimp

2010/9/21 7:31Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I know a lot more people who work harder, work two jobs, serving God and family and don't make even close to that.

No doubt. And I'm such a person myself, working 2 jobs and maybe going on 3 this fall. But I'm still for nicely compensating such ministers if the funds are available, and the Lord permits. Lord knows I would rejoice if I could receive some compensation for my labor in the Lord, and to free up some time so I could be more engaged in open-air evangelism. But instead, I have to work 2-3 jobs just to get by, and look for every opportunity I can at work and between jobs to evangelize.

2010/9/21 8:35Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

I'm not even sure why this story was posted in the first place. If this is a worldly report, aimed at disillusioning the average american...why are we assisting in their efforts? I'm just saying...

Also, if the Pastor is a wise steward of his finances, takes care of his family, Church and is a cheerful giver and supporter of New Testament ministry endeavors, then more power to him. Pastors work hard, and most are miserably underpaid...there is NO scriptural support for such. We expect our pastors to be top notch, but then neglect to provide them with enough money to take proper care of their families...and we wonder why they burn out? I'm not promoting pastor living hollywood lifestyles...but I think we need to relax just a bit. Pastors are hard working individuals...they do more than just preach once a week, folks. If they work hard and the funds are available, I'm all for them receiving decent compensation. I think it's God-honoring. Peace.

Jeff

2010/9/21 11:34Profile

Re:

I'm all for some pastors making a living, but I wonder if it has turned more into a career than a ministry, due to the large compensations they get. I don't think throwing money at pastors are going to save them from burning out. There is NO scriptural support for paying them gobs of money either. Paul never wanted to be a burden to anyone. On the other side its no excuse not to give financial support either. The NT is not clear on office of a pastor anyways. Church history and traditions have made it what we have today.

Just like Jimmy said he is working two jobs, I worked two jobs myself. Its hard, especially when you have a family you are not around because you are working. Jimmy works just as hard, why don't some folks compensate him? Sorry Jimmy just using you as an example. Plenty of people in the church work hard and do the right thing..sure they could use a financial lift at times, but because they are not a "pastor" its different. We are all ambassadors for Christ...we are all ministers. It wasn't just the pastor being compensated...it was the elders. The word pastor is not even in the original text. We made into an office instead of a ministry of shepherds or elders..

Mike

2010/9/21 22:55

Re:

Quote:
..This is a very gigantic truth, and when it is awakened it is going to rise up and shake this whole religious system... and the world.

Amen ADisciple your spot on on your whole post.

2010/9/21 22:59
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

By the way, I have a Paypal account if anybody wishes to make an offering :-)

2010/9/21 23:08Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Reformer said, "Plenty of people in the church work hard and do the right thing..sure they could use a financial lift at times, but because they are not a "pastor" its different. We are all ambassadors for Christ...we are all ministers. It wasn't just the pastor being compensated...it was the elders."

And this is spot on as well, Mike. I often think about this. Why is it always the "lead pastor" who is the paid one? Maybe he should be out working, and helping support someone like, say, Jimmy, whom you used as an example.

Or maybe that disabled one who can't work any more, but faithfully labours in the word and doctrine... I'm sure he'd be glad to not have to struggle to make ends meet. But he isn't even considered eligible for this: the tithes have to go to the "pastor."

...I feel like there has to be, not revival, but a spiritual revolution.

Like in the old William Booth hymn, Send The Fire. "...To bring the light and glory in, the Revolution now begin... God of Elijah send the fire, send the fire, send the fire.

We love to sing the song. But do we really want the fire?There are implications to God sending the Fire. All that is not of Him goes up in smoke!

2010/9/21 23:15Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Sorry guys...but a lot of the posts on this particular thread sound a little bit bitter and cynical. Your average pastor makes nowhere near what these guys are hauling in...please don't develop a whacked out paradigm now concerning individuals serving as "lead pastors". Senior/Lead pastors are some of the hardest working folk I know...they work 9-5 like the rest...but then they also work from 5 onward. Pastoral ministry isn't something you step in and out of...it is a job, no doubt, but it's also your life and heartbeat--it never leaves you and you never leave it. No pastor I know DEMANDS compensation.

2010/9/22 1:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy