SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
1over

Re:

Alreadymind, I think we agree in large part as to the order of events or the lack thereof. The doctrines of discipleship and salvation are critical to our faith, and yet the experience is as unique to the individual as are God's dealings with each of us. Christ's call was to "follow me". That is to be a continual "following". We all fail and falter, slip and stumble. But for God's elect there is no "Plan B" It's always "Plan A", which is follow Jesus, even if it means falling down over and over again. God's true children have learned to ask for His forgiveness when we fall, then get back to following Jesus.

2010/7/22 12:28Profile
Silo

Re:

Quote:
Praise Jesus that there is not a chapter on the sequence of the Christian walk

That's a great realization.

I have to remember the way I got saved is not the only way people have there born-again experience.

2010/7/23 10:38Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

As a follower of Christ I am learning everyday what it means to be a disciple that cost something. I think that it takes time to truly comprehend what ALL means and then to give all is yet another matter all together I have to learn how to give up a little bit of me everyday. SO in my opinion its both, if you are lead to the Lord properly you know that it will cost you everything to be a follower of Christ yet it may and will take a lifetime to really understand what that means and do.

2010/7/23 11:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The so-called "ordo salutis" (order of salvation) is mostly an academic exercise that the Scriptures never really engage in. Salvation, discipleship, faith, repentance, obedience, counting the costs, etc., are part of one big package. Certainly, each element is important in itself, as well as how each element interacts with the others.

But, of late, I've been fond of a less technical view of salvation. I like the illustration Jesus offered when He lamented over the Jews and their rejection of Him: "...How often I would gather you as a hen does her chicks..."

I like to think of salvation as being where Jesus "takes hold" of you. He lamented that the Jews of his day "were not willing," and therefore their house would be left to them desolate. That's salvation and damnation in a nutshell. Salvation is where Jesus takes hold of you. Damnation is where He leaves you desolate.

2010/7/23 11:51Profile
osandoval

Re:

In recent times there has been a deceptive teaching which says you can accept Jesus as Savior before you surrender to Him as Lord. This teaching tries to seperate the passages which speak of being a disciple from the passages which speak of salvation. There are multitudes deceived right now through this teaching, and on their way to hell. I think it comes down to what it means to repent, because it is clear that without repentance there is no salvation. Biblical repentance and faith include a full surrender to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. One may not fully be aware that they are doing that when they are saved but they are. All they know is that they need Jesus and want to give their lives over to Him as best they know how. Afterward they learn more of what it is to be a disciple.

2010/7/23 13:07Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

Jesus makes a few statements using the words "Unless [condition], you cannot be my disciple." If you did not hate your father and mother and family and friends and self, you were never a disciple. You just thought you were. If you did not take up your cross daily and deny yourself and "give up all your own possessions" you were never a disciple of Jesus. You just thought you were.

2010/7/23 17:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

When I saw this title, my mind went to a song that ministers to me. It is Titled "Have You Counted the Cost". I know this is looking at the issue from the opposite spectrum from what you were saying...Following Jesus is costly; following the devil is costlier still.

Here are the lyrics:

Have you Counted the Cost by A.J. Hodge

1 There's a line that is drawn by rejecting our Lord
Where the call of His Spirit is lost
And you hurry along with the pleasure-mad throng
Have you counted, have you counted the cost?

2 You may barter your hope of eternity's morn
For a moment of joy at the most
For the glitter of sin and the things it will win

3 While the door of His mercy is open to you
Ere the depth of His love you exhaust
Won't you come and be healed, won't you whisper, I yield
I have counted, I have counted the cost

Chorus:
Have you counted the cost if your soul should be lost
Tho' you gain the whole world for your own?
Even now it may be that the line you have crossed

2010/7/23 17:40Profile

Re:

I doubt the majority of people who are saved ever heard someone preach from Luke 14 or Matthew 10 before their conversion.

2010/7/23 18:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy