SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Some of you are going get very angry and mad.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

It is the following paragraph that is confusing, that which appears in the original post:

"God will fully forgive and accept those who have been none of these things. He will embrace the undependable, the irresponsible, the unfaithful, the disobedient and the immoral. God will give these people His robe of righteousness without their repentance."

The first part - "God will fully forgive and accept those who have been none of these things. He will embrace the undependable, the irresponsible, the unfaithful, the disobedient and the immoral." This is true, BUT there must be repentance. ALWAYS. You can never separate repentance from salvation.

Consider Zacchaeus in Luke 19:1-10. When he declared his guilt before Jesus and his intentions to right wrongs, Jesus declared that salvation has come into his house.

There has been a separation of salvation apart from repentance and that is the sin of lasciviousness, Jude 4. This mindset is very common in our parts of the USA. People will tell you they have been saved and persist in sinning because Jesus has forgiven all their sins - past, present and future and lifestyle means little. One outspoken advocate of this mentality in our town ended up being convicted of embezzling and subsequently served time in prison. How impressive!

As I understand Scriptures there will be in heaven those that have been guilty of all manner of sins: immorality in all its forms, murder, robbery, thieves, liars, etc, but these are people who have repented, who have recognized their sin and asked for forgiveness and have walked in repentance until their dying day.

The elder brother who resented his brothers' restoration had a problem. Jesus never did say what happened to him. When I read the content in which the parable is given it is in the context of leaving sin and returning to the father or repentance. It is the people who know they have sinned that will experience forgiveness if they repent.

As far as the question "of how long can a person live in sin without losing ones salvation" is one that only God can answer. It is a very dangerous place to reside. If one persists you will soon sear your conscience and eventually become an apostate.

My understanding...

ginnyrose

2010/6/12 20:13Profile

Re:

After dealing with me, God told me to come back here to clarify this issue of repentance further. Though my intentions were not to decieve, it has been brought to my attention that what was written previously might just cause that.

Yes, the word does mean exactly "to change your mind."

In context of it's Biblical meaning though, it is not what most consider it to be.

Based on the whole counsel of Scripture, to repent is to change your mind; but, in what way?

It is not in resolutions to change from doing what you think is bad to doing what you think is good, or anything related to this at all.

Biblical repentance is changing your mind in that you recognize that there is nothing you do that can ever satisfy God's holy standard, and in this comes the decision--i.e., repentance-- to rely on Him in obedience to His way of righteousness. This is all fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

ciao!

2010/6/12 21:38

Re: Gregg Helmer

that is a most excellent personal revelation, the Kingdom of Heaven is near you, always cause for rejoicing.

and no i won't say "ciao", i'll say that i love you instead, hows that?, neil

2010/6/12 21:42

Re:

Quote:
It is not in resolutions to change from doing what you think is bad to doing what you think is good, or anything related to this at all. Biblical repentance is changing your mind in that you recognize that there is nothing you do that can ever satisfy God's holy standard, and in this comes the decision--i.e., repentance-- to rely on Him in obedience to His way of righteousness. This is all fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

Well Said!

2010/6/12 22:16
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Biblical repentance is changing your mind in that you recognize that there is nothing you do that can ever satisfy God's holy standard, and in this comes the decision--i.e., repentance-- to rely on Him in obedience to His way of righteousness. This is all fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

This I would understand to be Biblical.

But why not keep it simple and simply say that when God/Jesus/Holy Spirit speaks I will choose to obey! And this means leaving a sinful lifestyle and follow Him, allowing him through the work of the Holy Spirit to clean you up!

I did tell my students this week they are powerless to quit sinning. They need to be empowered by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. One may resolve to quit but to carry this to fruition requires the grace of God enabling, strengthening you. And sometimes we do not want to quit but know we should. When this happens one needs to plead with the LORD Jesus to help you want to pursue holiness/obedience and give you the power to follow through

And I wanted to keep this short...SIGH

Do we agree, Gregg?

ginnyrose

2010/6/12 22:23Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

We must also remember that a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meanining. We may not be able to squeeze every detail into heavenly truth. But with prayer and study God with make it more plain to see the truth that He is trying to convey. The wayward son repented and came back to Father's house. What a truth that presents wonderful hope to the wayward and to those who are praying for those who have gone astray! When one repents, they turn to God, their only hope and help to live pleasing to Him.

2010/6/12 23:38Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Paris Reidhead once put it "Repentance is going from my will to THY Will!"

2010/6/12 23:52Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Re: Some of you are going get very angry and mad.

I believe Jesus is always calling sinners to repentance whether they be “sinners" as the Pharisees muttered about in this parable or the self-righteous Pharisees as Jesus portrayed them to be through the elder brother . The Pharisees believed they knew God. Jesus is taking them to task to destroy this illusion. Can you imagine the Pharisees indignation as Jesus portrayed to them the most extreme, disrespectful,rebellious, ultimate sinner being given the unmerited favor of his father?
It is tough to reach legalists. As far as we know only one repented, Nicodemus.
The father showed compassion on the older son as well. This is a story about the grace of the father. It does not say what happened to the elder brother.

2010/6/13 9:08Profile

Re:

A small interjection:

I just want to thank God for the "Cancel Post". There have been so many times that I have used that button, and today, I am glad to have used it again.

Reason 1: What's the point!
Reason 2: Who do you think you(me) are?

2010/6/13 12:52
nj15

Re: Some of you are going get very angry and mad.

Amen Brother,
But I would add, that those of us who have been all the things you just mentioned are in no way to be compared to the elder brother. because he did not repent, as well as the fact that we know that we are what we are by GOds grace and are desire is for Him to be glorified, and what better way than for Him saving vile rouges and wretched people. THat, if we truly love God is our desire; to know Him and for even the worst TO know Him.
Noah J.

2010/6/13 13:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy