SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : John Piper to Feature Rick Warren at 2010 Desiring God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
So far, there has been a lot of talk about what Warren supposedly teaches and doesn't teach without any substance to back it up.

I have heard Warren preach about repentance and faith in Christ, so that ruins that argument.

Your right brother. Just listen to this sound gospel message he's preaching to a group of lost people. Just reminds you of the Apostle Paul and his sermon in Acts 17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyyEIEDqrQ&feature=player_embedded

Rick Warren Openly lying:

Supporting Prop 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4QqGbQmU0&feature=related

Rick Warren denying his support
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73la_jFdMMc&feature=related

Another "strong" Gospel presentation by Rick Warren (seriously..can you find this anywhere in scriptuer?):

"But going back to this thing about heaven and getting into a perfect place. Let’s say we got a scale of 1 to 100. Let’s put Hitler at zero and Mother Teresa at 100 OK. And Steve you’re at 85 and Larry’s at 65 and I’m at 45. The truth is, some people are better than others, there’s no doubt about it. Some people are more moral than others, they’re nicer, they’re less selfish, less self-centered, things like that. But the truth is, nobody makes [it] to perfection… And so somebody’s got to make up that difference. And that’s the gift I believe Jesus came to – to make up the difference between my zero and my 100 or my 45 and 100 -- somebody’s got to make up that difference. "

http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2008/12/Rick-Warren-Transcript.aspx?p=3

Here Rick Warren blurs the lines of truth and works together with false relgions in the name of eliminating poverty. Where do we find the command to unite with false religions in the name of ending poverty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fn3QyzMmEQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.alittleleaven.com/2008/12/one-sabbath.html

The problem with guys like Rick Warren is that "social issues" or "social justice" trumps over abosolute gospel truth. So in the name of supposedly "acting like Jesus" we can ignore what Jesus has actually said. Thus leavening the church with compromise.

2010/4/1 15:21
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone or anything said. Personally, I am not a big Warren fan, but that being said, I'm also almost completely ignorant as to what he teaches.

As I read the bulk of these posts though...I find a common theme: If a preacher preaches about sin and repentance constantly, he is almost immediately received as orthodox. This is a very dangerous deception. I understand the temptation to err on the safe side--what I mean is that as long as he is preaching against sin, etc... we are at least safe from believing that grace is a license for sin. However, I have heard MANY preachers who emphasize asceticism, repentance, death to the flesh, the crucified life, etc... who also teach a string of strange, unbiblical, hocus-pocusy doctrines that should be anything but a part of our spiritual diet. DO NOT assume that because a man preaches repentance he is orthodox...also, do not assume that because YOU'VE NEVER HEARD a preacher preach repentance that he is automatically UN-ORTHODOX!

Peace,
Jeff

2010/4/1 15:31Profile

Re:

Quote:
Flame away, say all the derogatory things you wish, call me deluded and falling for the Babylonian religion

not me. in fact i think this thread is just tragic, because its a vivid display of "religionism".

you know, i do a lot of "open source" reading...i wanted to ascertain our nations adversaries theology, ie jihadi's, and i've lurked on "islamic" discussion forums, and guess what? They do the same thing, arguing fussing backbiting about this "sura" and that "sura". The sunni/shia divide actually mimics the Catholic/Protestant divide, except those boys, when they get to fussing, they actually kill each other over it.

religionism has a rotting stench over it, but Messiah is Sweet Fragrance indeed.

poor Rick Warren, he got it from the secularists when he prayed at the President inuagural, and he got it from the religionists at the same time, now THATS persecution.

oh well, time just moves forward, and nothing is new under the sun, until the Son comes back, then watch out goats.

2010/4/1 15:32

Re:

I'm bowing out of this converstaion from here. There's clearly enough information available, and easily accesable, to anyone who really want's to know if Rick Warren should be promoted and allow to speak to a body of believers.

I think John Piper would better serve the gospel and the truth in speaking to Rick Warren in private about gospel truths. Simply becaues Rick Warren is reading someone Piper agrees with (Jonathan Edwards) is no reason to let someone have the pulpit who's influence could very well leaven the believers attending.

God Bless...

2010/4/1 15:34
wind_blows

Re:

Neil you wrote:

Quote:
oh well, time just moves forward, and nothing is new under the sun, until the Son comes back, then watch out goats.

Can I ask you who are you speaking to with comments like that? Are you calling those who have posted to this thread goats or is it some other group you are referring to? Just trying to know who you are addressing when you sign off with things like that?

in Him

2010/4/1 15:38Profile

ps

i'm gonna go out on a limb and make a prediction; this thread gets locked.

2010/4/1 15:38

wind blows

Quote:
Can I ask you who are you speaking to with comments like that?

religionists.

Those who appear (and sound) Godly, but inside that white washed exterior?

just rotten bones.

why do you ask? Matthew 25 has always been one of my favorite Chapters....oh my, in it, Jesus speaks of what?

Feeding the poor,giving drink to the thirsty, sheltering the sojourner, clothing the poor,healing the sick, visiting prisoners.

seems to me, if Jesus posted something like that on this forum, he'd have a flurry of posters rebuking Him for preaching the "social gospel".

can you imagine that...a saved sinner rebuking Jesus?

thats why its my firm conviction the Pharisees never really died out, they just morphed into "Evangelical's".

and dont misunderstand me, we are TASKED with discharging the Great Commission, but how that walks Itself out, now there's the rub.

2010/4/1 15:53
wind_blows

Re: wind blows

Quote:
why do you ask? Matthew 25 has always been one of my favorite Chapters....oh my, in it, Jesus speaks of what?

Hi Neil thanks for responding so fast:) I asked because the way you signed off on the other post felt kind of like you were directing the goat comment towards people who had posted to this thread in particular. I think I understand your heart in what you wrote now though.

To everyone else:
I just humbly want to share this then I will bow out of this thread too, just because some do not agree with the teaching of Rick Warren does not mean that we don't still love and pray for him. I do pray for both of these two men, Rick Warren and John Piper. I have my opinions on Mr. Warrens teaching but they are just my opinions and I am not forcing them on anyone else. I am not into debating, so I will close my involvement with this particular thread by wishing you all well:)

in Him
ellie

2010/4/1 16:05Profile

Re: wind blows

Quote:

Neil,

If you'll take just a moment and read Matt 25:40 you'll understand just who Jesus says they gave their drink, food, and clothing too.

Here's a good explination by John Gill:

[b]Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my
brethren, ye have done it unto me:[/b]

which is to be understood, not in so limited a sense, as to regard only the apostles, and the least of them, for these were not the only brethren of Christ; nor in so large a sense, as to include all in human nature; but the saints only, the children of God, and household of faith: for though acts of charity and humanity are to be done to all men, yet especially to these; and indeed, these only can be considered as the brethren of Christ, who are born of God, and do the will of Christ; for such he accounts his mother, brethren, and sisters; and who are not only of the same human nature, but in the same covenant with him, and the sons of God, not by nature, as he is the Son of God, but by adoption, and so are heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ: now he that does any of the above acts of kindness to these "brethren" of Christ, and because they stand in such a relation to him, even the "least" of them: though he is not an apostle, or a martyr, or a preacher of the Gospel, or has any considerable gifts and abilities for usefulness, but is a weak believer in spiritual things, as well as poor in temporal things; and though it is but to "one" of these opportunity and circumstances not allowing it to be done to more; yet as such is the humility and condescension of this great king, as to account such mean persons his brethren; such also is his grace and goodness, as to reckon every instance of kindness and respect shown to them, as done to himself in person; and will take notice of it, accept and reward it, as if it had been so done.

2010/4/1 16:08
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Quote:
I have mercy and acceptance to all the preachers of false gospels that want to change their ways!

We really have to be careful here. Is that really the case? Just because someone ticks many of the right boxes does not mean very much. Just because someone shares a lot of common ground doctrinally does not make him an acquaintance.
Does the reading of Jonathan Edward's books make me a true disciple?

I see that deception can work in very cunning ways and will become increasingly sophisticated. I must say that I feel very uneasy about this whole thing. Let me tell you why:

1 JOHN 4: 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
The world hears him. Does he preach the gospel or use rather use Christian principles to improve the world, promote peace and eradicate poverty?
We are preaching a kingdom to come and it is already among us. We do not strive to improve the world, leave that to worldly governments. We are salt and light for the world and herald the coming King.

Matthew 15:
13But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

Matthew 7: 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Is this a work of God or of Man?
Right at the beginning Cain offered a self-initiated sacrifice, showing off his religious vigor and displaying what he could achieve by the sweat of his brow. Abel gave the best of his best. There was blood in the offering, the flesh was put to death, the skins of the sheep offered could provide covering for mans nakedness.

Nowadays there are a lot religious activities going on in the world. Eloquent, talented man excelling in intelligence, wit and charisma lead big ministries, run enormous budgets, steer massive movements, draw large crowds, and not a few some perform sign and wonders.
At the same time there is a famine of the true word of God. Strangely as religious activity intensifies the famine becomes more intense.

The true gospel is preached by weak men who depend on divine strength given in a time of crisis. God uses man who have little to offer in the natural. If they are strong, he first has to break and afflict them. Preaching the true word is ALWAYS a crisis! A preacher will relive the brutal cross while speaking. He must be divinely resurrected by the Spirit of God who gives unction. Death must work in him so that life can come to the hearers.

2 Corinthians 4: 11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. 12So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

Read the account of Saul and David. These two kings are archetypical for man centered religion versus true religion. Can't we learn from it?

True preaching makes true disciples who display Christ's features. The true gospel will be rejected by those who are accepted and accepted by those who are rejected. History proves it.

Why do we always look for heroes?

Dear children, a lot is at stake, do not judge things just by their appearance. Deception is allowed by God to sweep all those away who do not love HIM and keep his commandments. I would like to urge everyone to prayerfully draw their own conclusions.

Dear Lord, bless John Piper as he retreats from his ministry to seek reality with You and his family. Reward his honesty to publicly confess shortcomings. May your spirit work mightily in him. May he find peace and intimacy with you. Restore the joy of his salvation in him. Shield him with your love.

Amen.

2010/4/1 17:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy