SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Texas megachurch giving over $1 Million in door prizes this Sunday...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

Re:

We need to pray for these who are leading the flock in the wrong direction. Just think if - when these people get saved and filled with the Holy Spirit what a day that would - will be. To think of them selling everything and buying those Bibles for China or for feeding the poor and bringing them the Gospel of Salvation. Now they would have joy unspeakable and full of glory!!! Their whole focus would change. They would lose friends, family, members of their Church but they would take with them all who sought for Truth and eagerly lay down their lives with great joy. Hmmmmm best be praying more for them. Glory to God!

2010/5/4 16:02Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i have a friend that went to a church to rob a couple of purses when the altar call came;but when it came he was at the altar.i would never use this tactic but i would never critisize extreme generousity to get people to hear the gospel.He said be all things to all people that you win some...jimp

2010/5/4 17:31Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Well...I'm gonna swim upstream here and say that this could be a good thing. That being said, I have NO idea about the church or the message they preach, so I can't condone THAT part. However, if they are a missions giving, poor feeding/clothing, widow and orphan loving church...why not? Perhaps those cars will go to a needy family! How many of us have ever had to drive cars that we felt unsafe having our families in? What a blessing it would be for some low-income family to be blessed with a safe and decent car! That's not carnal...that's a necessity in this day and age and would show the awesome love of Jesus to that family.

I don't know all of the details and so I can't go too far here. Overall though, my thoughts are that as long as the church is doing their part in supporting the church and the broken in other financial ways...what is the problem? Owning, receiving and giving good gifts is not carnal if it's done in love and an attitude of servant-hood.

We can say spiritual sounding things like, "This money could have been used to do this, that, or the other..." -- but how much of our income, compared to that which this MEGA church brings in, do we send to missions? I don't believe God judges our financial dealings by the amount we give in dollars, but rather by what we give in proportion to our overall income. The widow's mite was of greater value than the larger gifts of others because it was given out of need. Therefore, for a mega-church that probably regularly brings in upwards of 50-100,000 (probably more) dollars a week...something like this might not even be that much money. When you compare our incomes, it may be more carnal and financially irresponsible for us to spend $20 dollars a week on fast food or coffee than for this church to do what it is doing.

Just my random and rambling thoughts,
Jeff

2010/5/5 0:40Profile
CrossCarrier

Re:

Well praise God that they were able to be a blessing to needy families. I'm sure they did help alot of people out and praise the Lord for that, but what I'm trying to say is that the jehovah's witnesses can give cars and stuff away. The Mormons can too and so can scientologist movie stars but what sets us apart from them? Jesus said these are the signs that will follow my disciples, that they would lay hands on the sick, that they would cast out devils, and that they would raise the dead. This is the Jesus way of demonstrating the kingdom. I just wish the church would stop finding alternatives to moving in faith. God gets the glory because this is the type of ministry that only He can do. We can't do that unless God be with us.

2010/5/7 9:38Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Cross Carrier,

I agree with your line of thought wholeheartedly. We shouldn't be known for our gimmicks or for the flashy lures we disguise our hooks with. Certainly, we must be a people marked by the miraculous and the supernatural. We MUST be a people who demonstrate the Kingdom of God with power and authority. Be it through prophetic preaching or demonstrations of the Spirit's power, these must needs be the distinguishing marks of our lives and ministries.

However, John 13:35 states that men will know that we are disciples of Jesus Christ by the love that we have one for another. The fruit of the Spirit is love! Love is just as supernatural as healing the sick, raising the dead or preaching with power. Loving the broken and the needy is not in conflict with power ministry or moving in faith--it is what God considers "pure and undefiled religion". (JAS 1:27) We cannot separate the power of God from the character of God--God is love! If we're healing the sick, moving in power and preaching the Gospel, let us also feed their bellies, clothe their bodies and provide them with the means to live effective and productive lives. In this way, the power being displayed points to the true heart of a Father who loves, and is incredibly interested in the details of His childrens lives. Love and Faith are not enemies! They only really work correctly in conjunction with one another.

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."
(GAL 5:6)

2010/5/7 10:53Profile
CrossCarrier

Re:

Amen. Love never fails. The true miracle is to be able to love in a world that does not know it. You're absolutely right. The thing about love is that there is a cost involved. To truly minister requires the laying down of one's life. No greater love is there than this. That a man lay his life down for his friends.

2010/5/7 19:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy