SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : America denounces 'Obamacare' threat

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Rethinking Medical care

The American dream has been that all are entitled to the best medical care possible when an illness occurs. Great advances have been made during the most recent centery in the treatment of diseases. Some ailments meant certain death, like appendicitis, difficult childbirths, e.g., but advances in medical knowledge has made this a thing of the past.

Today many persons today are very quick to run to the doctor or chiropractor for any little ailment. The idea that the body could heal itself if given time is foreign to them.

Many people act like they are afraid to die, hence this infatuation with drugs and medical treatments.

Back in 1994/5 when our daughter was diagnosed with glioblastoma I saw close up the limitations of medical treatment. If I recall over $220,000 was spent on her treatment but she died anyways. The treatment prolonged her life 9 months. This time put a great strain on her loved ones. I loved our daughter, do not get me wrong, but this experience left me asking some very unpleasant questions: why? what for? who gains?

If we would be priced out of professional medical care, would we learn to trust God - again - for our physical health? Do we wait until something huge occurs like cancer, or do we make our health or the lack of it a matter of prayer,trusting God to bring healing as he wills?

Tough questions, I know. But it may be time for us to consider how we have made professional medical care an idol, one that has displaced God as our caregiver.

My thoughts, thoughts that have been troubling me for years. And to be forced to buy insurance when these questions persists...

ginnyrose

2010/3/23 23:12Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Sister Ginny...

Quote:
I will plead guilty to being real dense here, but why is this mandate necessary? Anyone can get medical care if they want it, at least here in Missippi you can.

The mandate is NOT necessary. The supporters of this legislation have stated that it is because the economic success of this law is contingent on everyone using and paying for it. If people were allowed to "opt out" of it, the cost of this would skyrocket.

As is, the cost will certainly be much higher than the architects of this legislation have claimed. The president is using massive cuts to Medicare and Medicaid as the largest way to "pay" for this legislation (over $500 Billion in cuts). Does anyone really believe that a proposed "cut" in spending -- even if it were actually carried out -- would total a half Trillion dollars? In addition, the cost of this legislation is contingent upon 1.) People not taking advantage of a system that is far more accessible; and, 2.) The population of the poor -- who will use the system itself without contributing to it -- not growing at a fast rate (via a bad economy, a high birth rate amongst the poor, etc...). I attended a workshop this week at Stanford University where most of the economists (including those who support this legislation) scoffed at the notion that this will cost what the CBO is claiming.

Now, I do believe that there was some type of reform needed. Why? Some legitimately needy people did NOT have access to adequate health care. In addition, there are people with insurance who are denied or dropped from coverage because of either preexisting health conditions OR subsequently discovered health conditions. Immense profits from lawsuits were driving doctors out of business while also increasing the cost of health insurance (most trial lawyers earn between 40-60% of the verdicts from medical lawsuits and settlements). And, most importantly, there are many people (such as illegal immigrants and the poor) who were using emergency medical services who cannot or will not contribute to the system as it exists now.

Like I said before, I am totally against the legal mandate from this legislation that requires all Americans to purchase insurance. This is the first time that this has EVER happened in US history! The IRS has not only been empowered -- but it has been enlarged (with the now-imminent hiring of another 10,000 collection and intelligence agents) in order to find, fine and collect from those who cannot or do not buy insurance. The funniest thing is that the architects of these bills have spent the last year talking about the evil nature of "big insurance" -- but the legislation forces everyone to buy insurance from them! The major insurance companies are profiting from this more than anyone else (except for trial lawyers) -- so much so that their stocks increased quite a bit today!

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. The Obama Administration shrewdly chose to make the IRS responsible for overseeing the legal mandate and penalties for health care. I couldn't understand it...but it now appears that this was a calculated move meant to be used as a legal defense if this case went before the Supreme Court. The IRS has the power to oversee taxation and penalties like this...so the Administration probably thought this could be a logical defense. However, the IRS has never been used on a manner or as a tool like this.

Like I said before, we simply need to maintain our faith in Christ. There is nothing to fear. I have a strong suspicion that this legislation might collapse upon itself either legally -- or by the outcry of Americans who are fined because they couldn't afford to purchase insurance. After all, the election will be held in November. The people will likely voice those concerns at the ballot box.

2010/3/24 0:53Profile
DBen

Western NY, USA

Re:

Quote:
If we would be priced out of professional medical care, would we learn to trust God - again - for our physical health? Do we wait until something huge occurs like cancer, or do we make our health or the lack of it a matter of prayer,trusting God to bring healing as he wills?

Tough questions, I know. But it may be time for us to consider how we have made professional medical care an idol, one that has displaced God as our caregiver.

Those are great questions sister and something we should all consider seriously. Thank you for pointing that out.

2010/3/24 8:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
But it may be time for us to consider how we have made professional medical care an idol, one that has displaced God as our caregiver.

BILLIONS of children without clean drinking water, or even basic medical care, and a deluded woman living in the world's richest most violent empire makes a foolish statement like that, how far we've fallen.

i also pray the originator of this thread sees his error.

2010/3/24 9:08
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings ginnyrose

Quote:
many persons today are very quick to run to the doctor or chiropractor for any little ailment. The idea that the body could heal itself if given time is foreign to them.

I use to be this way when my children were little. I use to think that every little sniffle required the doctor. Now when I or they are sick I pray about it and wait. If I feel the Lord leading me after time to go to the doctors I will go but so many times He has been faithful and everyone gets well with out needing medicine or the doctor.

Quote:

I have often thought this to. I told my husband awhile ago when they wanted to do all these really expensive tests on me that I just felt that the Lord would have me wait and trust in Him. there was temptation to run to the doctor because of fear but through prayer, God took care of me. I think there is a time and use of doctors but only when the Lord has guided me and told me to go. Its no longer my reaction to run to the doctor now I run to the Lord and seek Him first.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

God Bless
maryjane

2010/3/24 10:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
Well we are one step closer to the Lord's return

Your joking I hope?

This is just politics.

When Hitler rose in power, do you not think that Christians thought the same thing back in that day that Jesus was coming back soon. Sure they were.

Passing this Obamacare hardly is a indication that the Lord is returning soon. We can think of better indications then this, like those massive destructive earthquakes in Haiti and Chili.

2010/3/24 11:19
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
BILLIONS of children without clean drinking water, or even basic medical care, and a deluded woman living in the world's richest most violent empire makes a foolish statement like that, how far we've fallen.

Neil, I was not talking about clean water. Would you know there are godly Christians in these impoverished areas who drill wells for these people? There is one well-drilling outfit in Kalona, IA who regularly goes to Haiti to drill wells. And our church alliance has an orphanage that also owns a well-drilling rig in Mexico but are restricted by gov regulations to use it (long story short).... (The reason I mentioned these two outfits is because I personally know thee people.)

The issue is how man has idolized professional health care, has displaced God as the healer. People run to the doc for any little thing. Why not ask God for healing? And see where he will lead you...this is my point, Neil. And if my memory serves me right, those people who live in these impoverished areas are seeing more of God's healing hand then us rich folks in the USA because they are forced to look to God and not the medical profession because they have no access to it. (And we rarely go to doctors.)

BTW, our church overseer is a physician. He says for many medical physicians it is a business, one where money is to be made. But for him it is a means to help people. I like that, don't you?

Take care, Neil, and God bless,
ginnyrose

2010/3/24 11:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
there was temptation to run to the doctor because of fear but through prayer, God took care of me. I think there is a time and use of doctors but only when the Lord has guided me and told me to go. Its no longer my reaction to run to the doctor now I run to the Lord and seek Him first.

MaryJane, you said it better then I did. Thanks!

ginnyrose

2010/3/24 11:24Profile

Re: Determined Faith

Quote:
there was temptation to run to the doctor because of fear but through prayer, God took care of me. I think there is a time and use of doctors but only when the Lord has guided me and told me to go. Its no longer my reaction to run to the doctor now I run to the Lord and seek Him first.

Be it according to your faith.

The woman with the issue of blood, spent all she had on American Medical Insurance plans and she got worse. Through desperation and determination she reached out to Jesus even casting herself to the ground in touching the hem of His garment.

There is something to be said about desperation, determination and faith.

Thanks Mary Jane for that comforting testimony.

2010/3/24 11:37
wind_blows

Re:

Quote:
Quote: BILLIONS of children without clean drinking water, or even basic medical care, and a deluded woman living in the world's richest most violent empire makes a foolish statement like that, how far we've fallen.

Ginnyrose just wanted to say that if your reminding others to seek Jesus first in all things including the medical situations makes you deluded then I guess I must be deluded too! I think that we are in good company though sis because as long as we are seeking Christ first and His Kingdom nothings can harm us:)

Neil: I am praying for you, I am not sure why this topic has upset you so much but I love you brother and am praying for you. Be well and be blessed

In Him
ellie

2010/3/24 11:52Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy