SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : lying(talked with my professor)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: lying

Hi wind_blows...

Have you considered writing about a person who felt justified for lying...and was congratulated by others for lying due to some "greater good"...YET still felt an inner conviction that what he/she did was still wrong? Such a story could highlight the moral and spiritual dilemma of the soul for even the most "innocent" of lies.

I don't know what your instructor means by "lying," but you could talk about individuals who did something similar to Corrie ten Boom during the Nazi occupation of Holland. Ten Boom and her family hid Jews in a "hiding place" -- and participated in a type of "underground railroad" in order to protect them from the Nazis. As such, they obtained more ration cards than they were alloted. While this was not an outright "lie," it could be argued (by some) that this was a form of "deception" against the then-current (albeit evil) authority.

When I was a freshman in college, I was given an assignment by a professor to defend the concept of "homosexual marriage." I met with the professor and explained that this assignment went completely against the spiritual convictions of my faith. This professor didn't want to give me a different assignment. So, I politely let the professor know that if I was not assigned a different paper, then I would drop the class and explain to the administration of the university why I was doing so. The professor sat quietly for a few minutes...and then finally agreed to give me a different assignment. I was extremely grateful for this (and voiced it as such)...and it went a long way to opening a door to share Christ with this particular professor.

Anyway, I will be praying for you. Please let us know how it turns out!

2010/3/14 22:26Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hi Chris

I think you have giving a great idea to but its not just this assignment that has me questioning. This professor also gave an assignment that we are to go out find a trash dumpster, dig through peoples garbage and choose and item to then write a creative writing piece about. I did that assignment with a friends help but it just seems that these assignments are getting to be more "out there" to me. Just not seeing how any of this helps to further His Kingdom. I spent hours on the other assignment and in the end it just left me feeling empty and I know that the piece I wrote did nothing to point anyone to the Lord.(sigh)

I am going to meet with my professor tomorrow morning to talk with her.

thanks
in Him
Ellie

2010/3/14 22:43Profile
PassingThru

Re:

Although the challenge is difficult, it may also be a good opportunity. The professor has given you the topic but can't force you to promote her view point on it.

You could for example, narrate a story of man who 'lies for the greater good', but in reality he is living in mental delusion. In his fantasies he is 'saving the world' while in reality he is causing others damage and grief. (I happened to see a portion of "A Brilliant Mind" while visiting family yesterday).

I think this would also be good stab at 'relative' thinking portraying it as a wishful fantasy in a madman's mind ignoring the absolute truth of reality.

PassingThru

2010/3/15 7:54Profile
Charles_R

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
its not just this assignment that has me questioning. This professor also gave an assignment that we are to go out find a trash dumpster, dig through peoples garbage and choose and item to then write a creative writing piece about. I did that assignment with a friends help but it just seems that these assignments are getting to be more "out there" to me. Just not seeing how any of this helps to further His Kingdom. I spent hours on the other assignment and in the end it just left me feeling empty and I know that the piece I wrote did nothing to point anyone to the Lord.

I think I know what you mean. In high school, I participated in speech and debate. In speech classes, we had to do things like take a random object and give an improptu speech telling "what" the item was, but we had to make up something imaginary. There were other such assignments as well. The result was that I learned to stifle the voice of conscience telling me that I would give account for every idle word (Matthew 12:36-37). What I did not learn was how to fulfill the command of Philippians 4:8
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

My pride certainly fed off of the competition. It was a little eye-opening, though, when I competed in "impromptu apologetics." (That meant that you were given a Scriptural/theological topic and had five minutes to create a speech about it.) For example, I remember distinctly an instance where I watched a competitor give a speech which strongly twisted a certain Scripture. I recognized in that speech a tactic that I had been taught--to get your judges' interest by coming at the question from the most unconventional point of view. I knew that the goal of gaining the judge's approval was beginning to take precedence over truth at times in me also. Debate was more rigorous. We had to be able to argue for and against the same issue on very short notice. An unfair advantage could often be gained by clever use of logical fallacies. It was usually difficult to debate with teams which did this, because it generally took more time to expose a fallacy than to create one. I also found myself looking back at some debates and realizing that I had definitely crossed the line. I'm not saying that all the debaters were dishonest; only that the temptation was there.

I learned some good things through speech and debate. I learned to be more willing to speak in public when needed, and to be more discerning, perhaps, of information thrown at me. On the other hand, I learned to act (so that I often was unable to tell whether I were being honest with the Lord or just acting, even in prayer); to speak without thinking of whether my words would be acceptable to God; to argue a position because I "can" instead of first determining what is true; to seek the approval of men; to trust my own strength; and, sometimes, to argue my point even if I were wrong.

I know that its not exactly the same thing, but the writer and the speaker face many of the same dilemmas. Both things can be done for the Lord or to gain the praise of men. Like speaking, writing has to take into account that ideas have consequences. Whatever you decide the Lord wants you to do, continue to "seek ye first the kindom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33; also see Proverbs 3:5,6). Ask the Lord if this is something He wants you to do for His kingdom, or whether it is one of the "fond ambitions" that must "perish."

----------------------------------------------------------
Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow Thee,
Destitute, despised, forsaken,
Thou from hence my all shalt be:
Perish every fond ambition,
All I've sought, and hoped and known;
Yet how rich is my condition,
God and heaven are still my own!

--words by Henry F. Lyte

2010/3/15 14:11Profile
wind_blows

Spoke to professer

Hey everyone

Thank you Charles for sharing your experience with me. I do see a lot of similarities in what you shared.

I spoke with my writing professor, she wants me to take a day or two to think over my decision of dropping this class and giving up writing, but I don't really need to. After explaining some of my struggles with these assignments she told me that if I ever want to be a truly great writer then I have to be committed to what I am writing about. I have to be willing to detach myself for a time and be willing to write each character in such a way as to make them believable. I must think the way each one feels and thinks or my characters will be void of any real depth. She said when I write the story must take on a life of its own or I will never be able to draw my readers into the world I am trying to create. She told me, after all if your writing about a justifiable lie then I must do so in a way that makes people think that there are times when it is actually better to lie for the good of others. She said she understand my struggle but there are times in life that we have to step outside of our personal beliefs and come to terms with the fact that life is not black and white, that there are areas in between...

I can not say that my discussion with my professor made me think I should adopt a different attitude about my writing in order to accomplish the goal of being a great author. I just am not the same person I once was I guess. Knowing the Lord is so much more important to me then if I ever write the next great romance novel. Honestly I already have read the greatest love story ever written and I am in it. Jesus and His Bride what could be more captivating or demonstrate true, unselfish love more deeply then Jesus on the cross...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and support but I think I am going to drop this class and take up cooking:)

in Him
ellie

2010/3/15 15:03Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Spoke to professer

I am glad you came up with a decision, personally I love writting myself never been much into romance novels or anything but just writing journals and stuff like that. I have heard of and read a lot of good books that have touched manys lives through a fictional story they protrayed the Story of Christ or some other part of Christianity and they are quite encouraging and edifying. If you haven't pick up a copy of Pilgrim's Progress written by John Bunyan. It's written in Old English and there are two parts to it so its important to get both parts, my dad bought a Modern English version that has both parts, its a gripping story that lays out a foundation of Christianity and yet still tells a beautiful story of a man and this Journey to the Celestial City, and then His Wife and her journey. There are certian styles of writing that can Glorify the Lord and still be done in a way that the modern reader is intrigue by the story. I am currently reading a Story by Wendy Alec and its awesome keeps making me read late hours because I want to know what happens next (Chronicle of Brothers Series The First Judgement). I encourage you to keep writing but maybe not pursue it as a profession but for fun and for Christ's Glory.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/15 17:08Profile

Re: Spoke to professer

Ellie, Thank you for sharing your decision. I was very encouraged by it. It made me think of a verse that helped me in a similar situation:

"be not conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind"

2010/3/15 17:49
wind_blows

another lesson learned from all of this :(

Hey everyone

This decision has taken on another aspect that I had not even considered. I just got off the phone with my husband Jase. Since we were unable to see each other this last weekend(could not leave mom home alone) I did not really make the time to talk this decision over with him. When I did call him and tell him about what I decided, he was surprised(and I think maybe hurt) that I did not consult with him on this matter. It hadn't occurred to me to even do so. Since we have been apart I have just gotten so use to making my own decisions about day to day living. I forgot that as a wife I should be seeking his thoughts as well! I told him how sorry I was, he was not angry but he did ask me to be more willing to call him, talk with him and to let us make these kinds of choices together. He said he would have liked to pray for me and shared with me his thoughts instead of just hearing about it after things have already happened. I felt really bad about not talking this over with him, I need to start thinking about things differently again and remember this isn't just about me anymore. Jase is the most important person in my life and I don't want to exclude him.

I asked him if he wants me to just keep the class instead of dropping it, he said no he supports my decision and understand what I am feeling but he still wants me to talk with him more about these kinds of things. I told him I just didn't think of it as a big deal, he told me that if it involves me then it involves him and he wants to know about it. For someone like me who does not do well with change I feel like a lot is coming at me. I don't want to start second guessing myself not feeling as good about all this as I was a few hours ago:(

in Him
ellie

2010/3/15 17:59Profile
HeedWatchmen

Southeastern PA

Re: another lesson learned from all of this :(

Ellie,

I'm glad to hear that you had a good discussion with your husband. I'm glad that he supported your decision to drop this class. It does show that God is speaking to both of you the same way.

We do always need to remember that our husbands are over us and need to be involved in our decisions.

Praise God this can be a growing experience between the two of you, as well as in taking a stand for Christ.

2010/3/15 20:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: another lesson learned from all of this :(

Quote:
he was surprised(and I think maybe hurt) that I did not consult with him on this matter.

Perhaps you could remind Jase gently that for over a year he did not care about any decisions, situations you were forced to deal with and so you got used to doing it on your own. Now that he is interested in you it will take some time for you to make this mental adjustment.

Just my thoughts...but I am glad he is showing concern for you - now.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/3/15 20:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy