SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : On Predestination by John Wesley

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread

Re: Young Grasshopper

Young Grasshopper,

Philosophers love sophistication, but it is better to always think of the simplest thing first:

1. Please read the post directly above yours.

2. Apply Occam's Razor.

2010/3/3 0:02
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: On Predestination by John Wesley

Benjoseph, I am actually an ardent supporter of a Biblical doctrine of free-will. Especially when considering myself to be a self-titled Wesleyan-Arminian. Perhaps it was I who was not clear enough in my cautioning. I am persuaded that a self-originating will (ie. free-will) is not in contradiction to Predestination. However, I am definitely not in agreement with Edwards redefining of "free" in his Treatise on the Will.

The point being, I just want to encourage you to embrace and search out the doctrine of free-will in its context of Predestination. I would recommend a personally favorite book for studying this complex topic: John Forbes, Predestination and Free Will and the Westminster Confession of Faith. (This book may be read free online, Google Books.) Even if you only read the first chapter, it will be extremely beneficial to you.

2010/3/3 1:44Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
boG wrote:
The point being, I just want to encourage you to embrace and search out the doctrine of free-will in its context of Predestination.

Did Jesus expressly teach this?

Me personally, I think a lot us are going to stand before Christ with piles of ashes around us... when we could have had gold.

God bless you,

2010/3/3 4:22Profile

Re:

Hi boG,

I don't know what you mean by a "Biblical doctrine of free-will". We don't need the Bible in order to understand free will properly.

Predestination of free choices is an oxymoron. There is no such context of predestination in regards to free choices.

Also, infallible foreknowledge of future free choices is self-contradictory. There is no such context of foreknowledge in regards to free choices.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you.

2010/3/3 8:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy