SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need advice, don't know what to do

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Need advice, don't know what to do

If you have the time, read the following, this should help you decide.

Taken from “Answers to Prayer” by George Müller

HOW TO ASCERTAIN THE WILL OF GOD

I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.

2. Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

3. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5. Ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.

6. Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.

God bless you brother!

2010/2/8 16:24Profile

Re:

Hi S

Seems to me like you are a very honest man who is seeking to do what is right before the Lord. I have no doubt that is exactly what you will do. No one on here can tell you what to do brother unless there was a clear violation of Scripture. Seeems to me this is an issue of the heart. It has been my experience, that in matters such as these, brothers and sisters already know what to do because of the Spirit of the Lord that dwells in them. God bless you and praise God for your deliverence.......Frank

ps, more often than not, the right thing to do is the hard thing to do, its a narrow path.

2010/2/8 16:40

Shamefaced said

Quote:
I truly feel that I've been delivered, this issue of disability money has come up in my spirit several times before, and I've always prayed that God would make it abundantly clear, as I didn't have the courage or faith, perhaps, to do somthing about it unless I really knew that it was God. I suppose I'm waiting to trust Him until it's safe to do so, which is silly.

Thank you for this wonderful testimony, and clarification of your situation. :-)

As appolus said, only you can know what God wants you to do. And after your description of how you felt only a few years ago, I suppose the one thing that comes to mind is, that you really [i]must[/i] keep in step with God in every decision you make, beginning with whether to be reassessed.

It occurs to me that you could look for other ways to make the necessary money, (like you take a second job?) and if you are managing not to use the disability money, pay it back retrospectively.

I'm interested in the username you chose for yourself here, as I can't think of a good reason for a Christian to present that 'face' to the world. Perhaps you feel guilty, or expected to be condemned, but I don't think God is thinking bad things about you. He hates war and violence, and is very tender-hearted towards your needs, after being in such a situation.

Once, I too had something on my mind. It was to contact someone I had not spoken to for ages. It took months to get to the point of ringing them, and they said if I'd called a day sooner, it would have been too soon, but on [i]that[/i] day, they were truly blest. This taught me something about the way God works. He knew [u]when[/u] I was going to make that call, and how it would relate to the other person when I did, and He began the work of prompting me long enough beforehand, for me to be ready to make the call on the 'right' day.

I shared that to show you that obeying God is not a risky business. But, with regard to your condition being medically reassessed, you do need to think long and carefully about any residual effects which you have thought comparatively trivial, but which are, nevertheless, a result of your service.

With these in mind, how would respond if daily life became more pressuring? I wonder too, if your wife - after what you described - is ready to go to work, or, she is still jangled by how distressed you were, and feels she has good reason to worry about how honestly she could commit herself to employment with three young children at home. Or, perhaps both of you could do some part-time work, if you have help with the children from reliable family members.

Is God asking you to trust Him for the money, or, you are willing to move to a less expensive house, or, you do simply see it as a matter of earning whatever money is needed, if your disability is reduced, or removed.

Often we think we know what God is thinking with regard to the solution to a problem, and often there is more than one natural way to solve it, but those are not necessarily what God has in [i]His[/i] mind. As you proceed, do [i]love your wife[/i]. She needs to know that you have not merely moved your sense of duty from one organisation (the Marines), to the Church, while 'home' is falling through the cracks.

This could be a concern of hers - that you might not give up any of your activities, even if she [i]did[/i] go out to work full time. It makes a lot of difference to the woman, to be supported at home, and I think she has valid questions about how 'home' is going to survive without her.

2010/2/8 17:58
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks for the thoughts, and the insight... I don't know what to do, I see alot of things in black and white, and in this instance, it just seems like I need to do the right thing, regardless of the consequences. That is where the delimma lies, the conviction to do what seems right, coupled with concern for my wife and family.
-S

2010/2/8 20:33Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Quote:
That is where the delimma lies, the conviction to do what seems right, coupled with concern for my wife and family.

I can certainly understand that. You'll be in my prayers. I've been torn myself. It seems an easy decision until you're looking your wife in the eye and then, uh, never mind. We want to make them happy, God happy. There should be no choice, but it's easier said than done. Again, I'll be praying for your situation. A corpsman's ('99-'04) work is never done. Semper Fi now to Christ.

2010/2/8 22:35Profile
Veronica226

Montana

S,
I can't really "advise" you about what to do, seeing that I don't have a family of my own. (I am single and still living at home.) However, we (my parents and sisters and I) have been going through something similar. My parents owned their own business for a long time. Last spring we shut down the business and a few months later my dad got a job at Sam's Club. But it's part time so it in no way pays our bills. It can't even cover our house payment let alone utilities, groceries, orthodontist for little sister, etc. But God has been incredibly faithful. We start getting low on food, people bring us food, without us asking! He has put the desire into several of our relatives to give us money and food. My dad occasionally mentions that we will have to move (he is not a Christian), but God has always come through and provided!
I cannot tell you whether or not to keep taking the money. But as one who has been through something similar (many times actually, the business almost tanked more than a few times!) I would encourage you to trust God with your whole heart! He WILL provide for you and your family! Remember Matthew 6:33 says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." The "things" He is talking about are food and clothes. So know that God will provide! Even if you do have to move to a smaller house. Just trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding! (Proverbs 3:5-6)
I pray that God will make His will known to you in this situation! And I pray that you will have the faith and trust to obey!
In Christ,
Veronica

2010/2/8 22:47Profile
HeedWatchmen

Southeastern PA

Re:

Shamefaced

I pray that God will help you to do the right thing about these disability checks.

God has been speaking to my husband and I a lot through Matthew 5:24-34 in the past few years. He has been teaching us a lot about trusting in Him to take care of all of our need (Philippians 4:19).

I would strongly encourage you to take a step of faith and see what God will do in taking care of you and your family. Peter had to take a step of faith in getting out of the boat before he was able to walk on water. One of the great things we see in Peter's life is that he allowed the Spirit to move him before his mind caught up and told him that it was not possible. Later he started to doubt, but Jesus took care of him.

When we are trusting in God, it does not mean that life is easy. He teaches us a lot about stewardship and what things are important, as well as what things we should not be using our resources for. My husband and I have been challenged in many ways. God has shown us that some things that we would have thought absolutely necessary in the past are not so necessary after all.

I am not attempting tell you what you need to do, but I am trying to encourage your faith.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

2010/2/9 8:45Profile

Brother Marine,
first off, let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service, God bless you beloved. I too served, Navy, Korea, a Korling, from 77-81. I have a good idea where you were, and what you saw, and there are no accidents in God. It was no accident you were there, no accident that you survived, no accident that your spirit was broken, PTSD is a breaking of the spirit, it can happen in war, it can happen in childhood, and its no accident that you are provided for by the VA, via the 50% dis. Many a brave Marine cam back from Tarawa, or from Iwo, or from Korea, bearing that hidden wound, that in those days was not realized, nor such clinical assessments available, and they suffered alone, or they suffered in poverty, because folks who havent lived thru the hell and the smell and the horror of war didnt realize how something as a car backfiring, or a door slaming, or the smell of bad meat, or a tire burning, can just bring it all back...in an instant.

Dont mistake my words, Jesus heals. Praise His Name! But just take it before God, and the Holy Ghost, and He will speak Truth into your heart, and i say this dear dear brother, the VA is the hand of a grateful nation, and i know you did not serve "for the money", but for love of country and love of the Corps, but in my humble opinion, this 50% dis monthly lump is THE LEAST we can do for you and your family, you hear me brother? the LEAST.

your brothers who laid down their lifes at Falluja, Anbar prov, they would want you to have it....but God pricks your heart...maybe He's saying to you, I gave you this, so you can serve Me........maybe, i dont know...maybe He's saying you served the corps, now you serve Jesus....i dont know, but if it was up to me, to decide for you, this grateful American would make sure YOU KNOW, not only do we love our boys and girls in uniform, but we are thankful and grateful that there are still some squared away men to man the ramparts. They deserve EVERY good thing.

so, unless God the Holy Ghost REALLY rings your bell, my humble advice is to keep your VA benefits, AND to serve the Lord, where and when He calls you. The Call is whats important. You KNOW what its like to be broken, lost...there is a whole country, a whole world full of lost hurt broken people OUT THERE who need Jesus, desperately.....and now you understand the love of Jesus, an impossible Love, ardent.

once upon a time you were a killer,(as you needed to be , as a Marine should) now Jesus has made you into a lover ...of the lost. Just consider that dear brother.

I pray my words were not of the flesh, much love in Christ Jesus, neil (USN, ret)

2010/2/9 10:05
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks for the prayers,
I really feel that God is leading me to trust Him with our finances, I've recently felt a hunger for deeper spiritual communion with Him, and have been in the process of restitution for over a year now, returning or reimbursing items I've stolen.
I've had the desire to serve God full time for the last three years, and am considering enrolling with Moody Bible institute this next fall, but so much has gone on in the last two weeks, a totaled car, surgery for my wife, finances bad. I suppose it can only be God who would move me to risk my disability income at a time like this.

Perhaps I should give my wife more credit, I'm dreading telling her that I want to be re-evaluated, I don't want trouble with my wife. Neil, thanks for your words, but the VA isn't paying me for my time in service, they're paying me for a specific disability that I incurred due to my service in Iraq.

Thanks all for the scriptures, they mean more than you know
-S

2010/2/9 12:24Profile

Hello again, S,

Quote:
Thanks all for the scriptures, they mean more than you know

There is something on my mind, to do with you and your wife being 'one flesh'. If you read Lev 18 far enough into the chapter, you will see there are many repetitions of this truth.
Quote:
Perhaps I should give my wife more credit, I'm dreading telling her that I want to be re-evaluated, I don't want trouble with my wife.

It is really important that you receive from the Lord more than enough confidence to reassure your wife that you are taking into account, her 'helpmeet' spiritual, psychological and intellectual contribution to your role as her head, and that you bring her on board with your leading from God, so that she is completely included, and looking to God just as much as you are, for all your needs.

In the leading post in this thread, you seemed to see the solution to possibly losing your disability payments, entirely in terms of your wife finding full time employment. Veronica's post was extremely encouraging, but you yourself need to be sure it is God who is calling you into faith for provision, or, to undergo another assessment which may find you too fit to receive anything more.

There would be nothing wrong with your wife going to work instead, if God is leading her this way, but I think you owe it to her to listen very carefully to her objections, and to pray about them together, until you see that God has taken away her fears. An hour is a long time in eternity! Much can change. One thing I'm trying to say is, that if your wife now needs healing because of the strain of bearing with you in your distress, then it is very much okay with God, for you to see her pain as your pain, and delay applying for a reassessment - even if you are totally sure you have to do that soon. Please, please, take time to bring your wife with you on your spiritual journey. She may well be 'wrong' in seeming to hold you back right now, but you owe it to [u]yourself[/u], to win her over as much as possible, before you act.

I have a question about Sundays, when you're teaching the kids: who is helping your wife with your children right then?

2010/2/9 12:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy