SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Wicca High Place at Air Force Academy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Giggles

Wicca High Place at Air Force Academy

This story really grieved me. It looks exactly like the altars to other gods Israel built in their high places. Brothers and sisters, please pray for our nation...

Cross found at Air Force Academy's Wicca center

The opening of the worship area at the Colorado Springs academy had been hailed as a step for religious tolerance.

By DeeDee Correll

February 3, 2010

Reporting from Denver - The Air Force Academy, stung several years ago by accusations of Christian bias, has built a new outdoor worship area for pagans and other practitioners of Earth-based religions.

But its opening, heralded as a sign of a more tolerant religious climate at the academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., was marred by the discovery two weeks ago of a large wooden cross placed there.

"We've been making great progress at the Air Force Academy. This is clearly a setback," said Mikey Weinstein, a 1977 graduate of the academy. He is founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and has often tangled with the academy over such issues.

Although he credits the academy's superintendent, Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael Gould, with an improved climate of religious tolerance, Weinstein criticized other academy officials as trivializing the incident, which he said was not revealed to cadets.

Rhetorically addressing academy officials, Weinstein said Tuesday, "It's been two weeks -- were you going to get around to telling them about this horrible thing that happened, and why haven't you?"

Academy spokesman John Van Winkle said officials reported the situation to those on base and issued a message reiterating the school's policy of religious tolerance and respect.

In a statement, Gould said, "We absolutely will not stand for this type of destructive behavior. I consider this no different than someone writing graffiti on the Cadet Chapel."

In 2004, an academy survey found that many cadets felt that evangelical Christians were imposing their views and harassing non-Christians at the school.

The following year, an Air Force task force determined that there was no overt discrimination but the academy had failed to accommodate the religious needs of some cadets. Since then, the academy has worked to change that, Van Winkle said.

"It boils down to the key issue of respect -- respect for everyone's right to practice their faith as they choose," he said.

Specific steps include the creation of a Cadet Interfaith Council that identifies upcoming religious holidays and helps adjust cadets' schedules to observe them.

The academy -- which also has worship areas for Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Buddhist and Jewish faiths -- already had a designated area for Wiccans, pagans and followers of similar traditions, but it was located on the north end of the 19,000-acre campus and was not easy for cadets to visit, Van Winkle said.

The new site, a collection of stones set in a circle unveiled late last year, is closer to where cadets live and train.

Modern Wicca is a reconstruction of ancient European pagan religions and is based on respect for Earth, nature and the seasons.

On the weekend of Jan. 17, Weinstein said a client of his organization who is based at the academy spotted a cross, constructed of railroad ties, propped against a rock at the center. The client reported it, and the Office of Special Investigations began an inquiry.

The dean of faculty, Brig. Gen. Dana Born, discussed the incident at a Jan. 27 staff meeting, Weinstein said.

Weinstein did not attend the meeting but said that faculty members who did described the official reaction as tepid.

One faculty member, who attended and asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter, supported Weinstein's characterization of the meeting.

The reaction would have been stronger, Weinstein said, if another worship center had been involved. Had a swastika been placed in the Jewish center, "heads would be rolling," he said.

Van Winkle said he saw video of Born's address: "She downplayed nothing. She addressed the expectations, the issue and moved on."

Correll writes for The Times.
Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times

[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-wicca3-2010feb03,0,3367750.story]Source[/url]

2010/2/4 9:55Profile

Re: Wicca High Place at Air Force Academy

"In 2004, an academy survey found that many cadets felt that evangelical Christians were imposing their views and harassing non-Christians at the school." article

I remember reading about this around then. Some Christian cadets were asking other Jewish cadets 'why they killed Christ' or implied them as 'Christ killers'. So they (the Jewish cadet(s)) went and complained to the chaplin and the brass about it. When confronted about this by the brass a congressman became involved and actually came to their (Christian cadet's)defense citing 'freedom of speech'. So this is the result of that.... 'freedom of speech'. Be careful what you wish for. When the church ministers Christ in this fashion then it will be judged, as it starts with us. So then the far reaching damage is to the nation... May God have mercy!!

2010/2/4 10:40
Goldminer

Alabama

The resposiblity of these things in our country fall right on the shoulders of christians. If we had been fasting and weeping and crying out to God, rather than entertaining ourselves, all the time our country would be in a different shape. It is our responsibility and our watch. I include myself with sleeping on my watch as well. I repent.

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

We just don't take the conditions around seriously enough until it's too late and it hits close to home. We need to understand we have an injunction from God to impact the world around us and to be salt and light. We need to take back ground folks, now!!!!!!!! We don't take it back by putting crosses in wiccan place, (not to fault the person who tried to make a difference) but by humbling ourselves, repenting and seeking God to change our hearts and then He will remove the high places in their hearts.

When the world sees the true kingdom of God manifest in His people it will be so much better than anything they have ever seen before and they will prefer it to the death they have. Right now our position should be to seek God to make the sermon on the mount a reality in our lives. They all think we are hypocrites because we have been. It is time to get real. How many of us love to the point of sacrifice. Do we love even if they spit or slap us in the face? Do we see a brother in need and turn away even though we have enough to supply that need. But then it might make us a little short. Ouch.

For 33 years my husband, even though saved, won't go to church with me because he was hurt by some he expected to be loved by. But lately one preacher, Terry by name, is impressing him with his love and laid down life. This body of believers fixes roofs of old people for free because they love them, take food to folks to bless them and give till it hurts. This isn't a one time thing but ongoing. My husband hasn't gone to church yet, but he is sitting up and taking notice. Love looks like something. Love impacts and changes lives around us. This generation has seen selfishness that would boggle the mind, but they have never seen unconditional love. It's time they do. Huh? Let us be the ones to call upon God to flow His love through us to a dying people.

When God's kingdom is manifest in the sons and daughters of God those wiccan altars will be tore down and burned.

2010/2/4 10:57Profile

Re:

"It is our responsibility and our watch. I include myself with sleeping on my watch as well. I repent." goldminer

I agree. I need to repent too. And I also pray that your husband is blessed by those close to you who are in Christ and comes through the past hurt.

2010/2/4 11:12
Wordizlife

Re:

Quote:
For 33 years my husband, even though saved, won't go to church with me because he was hurt by some he expected to be loved by. But lately one preacher, Terry by name, is impressing him with his love and laid down life. This body of believers fixes roofs of old people for free because they love them, take food to folks to bless them and give till it hurts. This isn't a one time thing but ongoing. My husband hasn't gone to church yet, but he is sitting up and taking notice. Love looks like something. Love impacts and changes lives around us. This generation has seen selfishness that would boggle the mind, but they have never seen unconditional love. It's time they do. Huh? Let us be the ones to call upon God to flow His love through us to a dying people.

Inspirational stuff right here

2010/2/4 11:43Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I was listening to a Derek Prince sermon and he was quoting a man who said that he didn't need a crowd to preach to. Derek asked why not and the man said, "When I go into a village, I ask if there are any sick people and by the time I'm through, I have a crowd!"

Giggles, I'm not talking particularly to you at all but all of Christendom!!! I'm sorry but I don't get in a tizzy when I read stuff like this... (article) and I'm not angry with what I'm about to say so please don't read that into it b/c three fingers are pointed at myself first!!!

But to me, this is what is wrong with the church today, we act like a peacock strutting around when an ungodly group does something like this... WHEN we aren't even doing what we are called to do: setting the captives free. We are doing our best to legislate "our" morality and trying to make the world tow "our" line when "it's not by (your) might and power but by My Spirit thus says the Lord!!!"

[i]For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?[/i]
1 Peter 4.17

We truly need to stop looking at the world (the waves), start fasting and praying for God to come alive in us (keeping our eyes on Christ) and watch what happens when Jesus comes to town!!

Wooo hoooo...

2010/2/4 13:00Profile
Giggles

Re:

I totally understand and amen what you're saying Lysa. I was just mournful over the sins of my nation.

2010/2/4 13:15Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Re: Wicca High Place at Air Force Academy

Wooooooooo Hoooooooo too

2010/2/4 13:19Profile

Goldminer said

Quote:
They all think we are hypocrites because we have been. It is time to get real...

You're coming through sister, to my heart, more about the prayer than anything else.
Quote:
When God's kingdom is manifest in the sons and daughters of God those wiccan altars will be tore down and burned.

By ex-wiccans, I hope.

Lysa said
Quote:
I was listening to a Derek Prince sermon and he was quoting a man who said that he didn't need a crowd to preach to. Derek asked why not and the man said, "When I go into a village, I ask if there are any sick people and by the time I'm through, I have a crowd!"

This is where I am, now. Not attracting a crowd because of miracles, but trying to get back (go forward) to place in which I was simply living out what the Lord put in my heart for others. There were many constraints at that time, but I was 100% in earnest. Since starting to go to church again, my spirit has been systematically closed down, and I won't be trying to fit into a congregation again. What people need is a place to go to worship God together. If we can't do that at 'church', then we have to find an alternative way of meeting with other believers, to focus on the Lord together. This is really exercising my heart, and I'm seeking the Lord as to what He desires from me. I confess I would not be happy to throw open my door to [u]un[/u]believers, but I would LOVE to meet with others to sing, pray and read scripture together.

According to a biography of William Tyndale, (God's Outlaw), he used to go out after dark (because 'they' were out to get him), and find poor people to minister to. It is believed there were healings for some of them. This alone tells me he was [u]practising[/u] his faith.

For many years I have mused over the 'what if' question of what earth would look like if everyone knew the Lord, and gradually have been coming to terms with the fact that we can usually, impact only those with whom we come in contact, (including here online).

Just knowing the gospel isn't enough though. We have to tune into God's sorrow over those who reject Him, as much as to live with the disappointment which follows our own efforts to show Him to others. I find this very challenging, as life itself has extended me beyond my natural strength, and so there is no way I can serve God without His 'natural strength' providing the power. How often I come off the rails in this, and am realising what a canker the WoF teachings are. For those who have never known anything else, there can be very little hope of an ingathering of truly new sanctified ones (revival), while the cross of Christ is kept out of the preaching agenda.

We DO need to get 'the cross' back into the centre of our thinking and being. As Goldminer said
Quote:
We don't take it back by putting crosses in wiccan place, (not to fault the person who tried to make a difference) but by humbling ourselves, repenting and seeking God to change our hearts [b]and then He will remove the high places in [u]their[/u] hearts[/b].

This connection has been eluding me for years. But now I 'get it', that itself will change me.

2010/2/4 13:30

Re:

"Just knowing the gospel isn't enough though. We have to tune into God's sorrow over those who reject Him, as much as to live with the disappointment which follows our own efforts to show Him to others. I find this very challenging, as life itself has extended me beyond my natural strength, and so there is no way I can serve God without His 'natural strength' providing the power." ATG

You are speaking to my heart now. We need to pray, grieve, and have faith in Him that He can do what He says He can in us and through us. Tap into His sorrow, plead, and get out of His way. Simple but not always easy I know. His arm is not too short to save... and He grieves as much when the church tries so hard in the flesh and with the kind of faith that cuts His arm to the elbow. But then we have a mighty God who also says this:

Isaiah 55:6-15 (New International Version)

6 Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.

7 Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,