SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Saddleback Pastor Requests Nearly $1 Million in 2 Days

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
kathleen1

Re: Saddleback Pastor Requests Nearly $1 Million in 2 Days

If God supported the work they wouldn't have to plead with flesh for money.

2009/12/31 17:25Profile
kathleen1

Re:

'cmon..almost a million dollars? Sounds like this church is living WAY above its means.

2009/12/31 17:27Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Maybe they need it for those important last-minute year-end expenses like "love bonuses" and "love gifts" for those who worked so hard to raise money for the church the entire year?

2009/12/31 17:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: million dollar tithe

The reason I talk about Zac Poonen is that right now he is one of two preacher's I'm listening to right now!

But Zac also said that years ago when they were thinking about building a church (or buying?), that the Lord told him (paraphrased),
[i]"As long as you have ONE RUPEE in your bank account, you are NOT to ask the congregation for any money. You use your money first because I called you, not them."[/i]

(removed last comment to make it less negative)

2009/12/31 18:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Brothers and sisters, I feel that we are being far too cyncial in our comments. We are taking spiritual cheap shots at this situation. God is not glorified in this activity. Let the Lord judge, and us be silent.

2009/12/31 18:52Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

I agree with KingJimmy.

Some math might illuminate this a little. Saddleback Church is reported to have an attendance of about 20,000 according to Wikipedia. This would mean that in order to reach the 900,000+ each family would have to give about $180 or each individual about $45. Considering the standard of living in California this is not an exorbitant amount to ask. He is probably just asking that the congregation give their Sunday amount (or tithe) early. His message indicates where the money will go and much of it is charities, food pantries etc., which fell behind due to a decrease in Christmas giving.

Anyway, a little perspective might help us to think a little less negatively about the situation.

2009/12/31 19:16Profile

Re:

1 Corinthians 16:1-2: "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come."
The Apostle Paul asks for $$$.

Acts 11:27-39: "Now at this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. And one of them named Agabus stood up and began to indicate by the Spirit that there would certainly be a great famine all over the world. And this took place in the reign of Claudius. And in the proportion that any of the disciples had means, each of them determined to send a contribution for the relief of the brethren living in Judea."
Another request for money and a collection is made.

2 Corinthians 9:7: "Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver"

You cannot say that it is not biblical in asking for financial support for God's work.

2009/12/31 19:56
IWantAnguish

Re:

Perhaps Rick Warren ought to take tips from Joel Olsteen on how to do it right?

God's prophets always made fun of false prophets, its a Biblical thing to do.

2009/12/31 23:06Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

God's prophets did make fun of false prophets, but usually it was to their face, not behind their back. And it was never over trivial matters such as this.

2009/12/31 23:26Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

1 Kings 18:27...

And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, "Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened."

If I was granted the opportunity, I would mock Rick Warren to his face.

And as for the trivial matters....

Are you aware of how many starving people are being devoured by wolves in the 3rd world because of preaching exported from Rick Warren and Joel Olsteen?

They are being told that if they come to Jesus they will have a happy life, their pigs won't die, their wives won't have miscarriages, they'll get a BMW... this is NO trivial matter.

The wolves look at the preaching of these men, and say, they must be doing something right, they have the biggest churches in the wealthiest nation, so the wolves, instead of pleading and begging for offerings like Rick Warren and Joel Olsteen, demand and prophesy for money.

==========edit===========

Have you read Rick Warren's book, The Purpose Driven Life? He grants people salvation without a call to repentance, no call to picking up a cross, no denial of self... He tip-toes around the exclusivity of redemption through Jesus Christ when interviewed by secular media... Why else do you think he was invited by Barack Obama to speak at his congressional whatever?

2010/1/1 1:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy