SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Legalism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
seekhymm

montana

Re: rest

All who are weak and heavy laden come to me and i will give you REST.

Amen, He our Lord is our rest:Sabbath

2011/2/8 13:30Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
Ironically, the one law that we DO have from God in the New Covenant which is one-size-fits-all (and which the legislaters always fail to mention) is that man will be judged by the same measure of judgment he imposes upon others.

True Mr. West,

It is God's grace that saves us, not we ourselves, not our understanding of scripture... Remember to always have mercy, as it always triumphs over judgement...(and we must be of this mind)

The heart of the Father is forgiveness, love, patience, long-suffering, mercy and so much more.

The only condition(s) I see is faith, a penitent heart, and a willingness to follow Him, regardless of how many times we fall on that rocky road named repentance. It is the blood of the Lamb that takes away our sins, not our works...

and if there are no sins,

then there is no law that can condemn.

Therefore, in the absence of sin, the law is fulfilled... not by works, but by faith in the finished work of Christ. This is righteousness by faith.

I do not believe that there is sinless perfection in this life outside the finished work of Christ. God called us by mercy to His grace through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, not because of ourselves.

2 Timothy 4:18
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!

Jude 1:24-25
New King James Version (NKJV)
Glory to God

24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
25 To God our Savior,
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever.
Amen.

2012/6/21 4:59Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

PaulWest wrote:

"If I find myself imposing spiritual "laws" unto others, and through these laws introducing the aspect of "criminal activity", I have now made myself an accuser of the brethren. A condemner, a judge."

This is true. We have this spiritual precept illustrated in the following verses...

Psa 1:1 Blessed [is] the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;

"Nor sits in the seat of the scornful" refers to what you said above.

And how does one become scornful?

Pro 1:22 "How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.

The scornful have not submitted to the work of the Holy Spirit. They choose to remain simple.

2012/6/21 7:09Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

I started this thread with the intent to show that it is God's grace alone that saves us, and it is God's grace alone that keeps us too (hopefully this is what is conveyed). Yes we have to be obedient, yes we have to repent, and yes God has given to us the earnest of His Holy Spirit to help us in our daily fight, and to live and be godly. But even if we sin and fail the grace of God, we just need to repent with a true heart, even as it is written and God`s grace is sufficient to save us, and to cleanse us anew.

1 John 1:9
(NASB)
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No, this is not to make an excuse for living a sinful life (a gospel of NO repentance), but it is a means by which we are accepted in the beloved, in whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace...

The Apostle Paul wrote:

Romans 8:26-28
(NKJV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[a] with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

And so we keep the faith delivered to us.

2012/6/21 17:17Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Earendel wrote:

"I started this thread with the intent to show that it is God's grace alone that saves us, and it is God's grace alone that keeps us too (hopefully this is what is conveyed)."

Psa 1:1 Blessed [is] the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;

Psa 1:2 But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.

Psa 1:3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

Psa 1:4 The ungodly [are] not so, But [are] like the chaff which the wind drives away.

Psa 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

Psa 1:6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Does your understanding align with this Psalm?

2012/6/21 20:15Profile

Re:

Was reading this small book yesterday and thinking - "It's All about Love".
The ideal love of a bride for her Husband and vice versa.

Quote from Hudson Taylor's Commentary on the Song of Solomon: "One with Christ".

"She is deeply conscious that He has richly endowed her and that she is as nothing compared with Him. But instead of proudly dwelling upon what she has done through Him, she would prefer that it would be possible for her to be the giver and Him the receiver.
This is far removed from the grudging thought that must grate so on the heart of our Lord, "I do not think that God requires this of me" or, "Must I give up that, if I am to be a Christian?"
True devotion would instead ask to be allowed to give and would count as loss all that may not be given up for the Lord's sake; "I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord" (Phil 3:8)
This desire to be more to Him does not, however, blind her to the consciourness that she needs His guidance and that He is her true and only Instructor.

She is essentially saying, "I want to give You my best, and yet I want to seek all my rest in You. "His left hand should be under my head, and his right hand should embrace me." (8:3)

There is nothing sweeter to the Bridegroom or to the bride than this hallowed and unhindered communion."

2012/6/22 15:48
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Earendel: Many view legalism as overly zealous conviction. I have seen those who allow X in their lives call those who condemn X legalists. I think I might have had that view at one time myself. But as I prayed and meditated on the subject several years back, I felt like the Lord showed me something key about legalism.

Legalism is the attempt to approach God or to be considered right in the eyes of God by the keeping of carnal ordinances, whether self imposed, imposed by others, or found in scripture.

So if I say, "God, I have done such and so...I have read my Bible, I have prayed, I have kept commandments to the best of my ability. Why have I not seen my prayers answered yet?" That is legalism.

It is a lot like Hinduism, Buddhism, or any other ism. Followers of these ism's trust in their own ability to keep the teachings of Buddha or however it might be in order to be acceptable to God.

We often accuse others of being legalists, but in reality it is in our own hearts that we often return to the law in order to feel we are acceptable to God. That is legalism. I have noticed that whenever I fall into legalism my faith suffers, I experience condemnation, and I find myself failing. But when I learn to walk in the spirit and rely totally on the grace of God for my acceptance by God, I experience joy, peace, and freedom in Christ.

2012/6/22 16:19Profile
proudpapa

Re: twayneb

very well said twayneb!! the entire post very well said!!

2012/6/22 21:51Profile
a-servant

Re:

" But when I learn to walk in the spirit and rely totally on the grace of God for my acceptance by God, I experience joy, peace, and freedom in Christ."

exactly true, now that you found freedom in Christ, what do you choose to do with it?

Do you choose to do His will, or do you remain an outsider and insist that grace is a substitute for true love? Jesus-is-GOD covered that part, however our problem today is we do not know what true love is anymore . We believe it is similar to some type of affection that does not include being subject to a higher authority. Basically we are self-sufficient, and would never give up our own understanding, which is the part in us that terms the word 'legalism', instead of trusting only the God of the Bible, that not only does not use that term, but introduces His understanding of the whole subject to us. Now it's up to us whom be believe and follow.

Just because Jesus offers us grace does not neglect the fact that He still has His will, that we either follow or rebel against.

2012/6/23 5:04Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
…. however our problem today is we do not know what true love is anymore. We believe it is similar to some type of affection that does not include being subject to a higher authority. Basically we are self-sufficient, and would never give up our own understanding, which is the part in us that terms the word 'legalism'….
By a-servant

Brilliant insight! I am borrowing your words for my "Submission" thread because it applies so well. Yes, we define "legalism" according to our own moral paradigms, and it goes something like this:

The legalist is the guy to the right of me.

And by our own unspoken definitions we absolve our own conscience - and our moral obligations to one another - ie love - even while we believe we are walking purely by the Spirit. But we're still legalists - with ourselves as our highest legal authority.

Diane

2012/6/23 8:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy