SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Thoughts on Simple/House Church Movement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

murrcolr wrote:
Quote:

wayneman wrote:

The HC has the potential to be the basis for the next great move of God because of the absence of revival-killing clergymen.

The next Great Move of God does not start in the House Church Movement....

...because...?

2009/12/18 18:18Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
The one problem I have with regular church is I can't find a church that actually practices what they preach!!

Lysa,

A pastor acquaintance of mine once preached a sermon on the importance of "commitment," incongruously based on the text, "Let your Yea be Yea, and your Nay, Nay." He said, "If you say you're going to do something, do it!"

Days later, he backed out of something because he didn't feel like doing it.

I said, "So much for keeping commitments!"

He said, "Hey, I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the sort of person I'm preaching to!"

I think he was speaking for all professional churchmen when he said that.

2009/12/18 18:29Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

MattChenier wrote:

Quote:

Miccah,

It sounds like your church is heading the right direction. I am excited for you. What a blessing to have a local body of believers that you can be proud of. This makes evangelism so much easier. I am truly envious of such a wonderful body.

I just don't see what the difference is between your church and my church. Other than your church meets in a house and mine doesn't. We do all those things you mentioned, except that we pay our pastor's bills so that he can "give himself fully to the word and to prayer" Which he does. I think it is wonderful that nobody "lives of the gospel" in your church, but this is not unique only to house churches. I know many denominational churches that do this.

I am not at all against house churches, because there is no difference between a house church and a church that meets in a stadium. Is God scared of large crowds?

Again, God bless your church, I am mostly excited that your so confident and encouraged by the works your church shows. I hate going to church when I have no expectation of blessing (not that its always the churches fault).

Praise God Brother.

I don't know if you have had the opportunity to read any past threads on similar topics, but I am not against IC's, just the corrupt ones. Same for the corrupt HC's. If the Lord is moving in your midst, glory be to the Lord!

As for differences, I know nothing about your church other then what you have told me, so I will not speculate about differences between the two. But I will say that I rejoice with you and the Body about fellow brothers and sisters that truly place Christ above all else, regardless where and how they meet.

Blessings my friend!

2009/12/18 19:08Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

Quote:

DBen wrote:

Matt,

I would certainly be interested in hearing about the changes if you would be inclined to share them. If you don't feel they are appropriate to the thread you could email me directly.

I realize that I am asking of your time so, please know I will consider all that you share and it will not be wasted.

Thanks!

I would love to. Sometime in the next day few days I will do it. I appreciate your interest. It truly was one of the most radical changes
God has effected in my life. It seemed to happen almost instantly too.

2009/12/18 19:34Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: church needs me?

Quote:
MattChenier wrote:
Quote:

Lysa, It sounds like the local body of Christ in your area badly needs your help. It sounds like they are not focused on evangelism like you are.

"Do good to all men, especially those of the household of faith."

You would think that they would need help but I live in the Baptist (Bible) Belt and being female plus (the second unforgiveable sin) divorced... they tend to be a little picky on who helps them!! (which suits me b/c I have an assurance from God that the His calling is without repentance!)

I have found somewhere where they don't care what condition I "used to be in" and that is the local women's jail! The highways and byways love me! That's good enough for me!

2009/12/18 21:26Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

I understand what it can be like to be rejected by the church. Of course, rejecting them in return is not Christianity. I am not saying that you need to commit yourself to any specific church. But, if you won't go to any church because of it, then you need to consider your situation. It seems that you have let some people keep you away from all church gatherings. This is not what is best. I am not saying you are in sin because of your situation, I just don't think you should write off all churches. You especially should not harbor bitterness if you are.

2009/12/19 3:40Profile

Re: Thoughts on Simple/House Church Movement

MattChenier said

Quote:
I understand what it can be like to be rejected by the church.

I would be interested to hear something about the rejection you suffered, and in what ways you feel it is comparable to the common experience of divorced women, who might have legitimately expected 'church' to support them at a time of unspeakably profound distress, but instead are greeted with anything but?

2009/12/19 4:59
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re:

Boy I hope to read this whole thread but to your question "What is the authority?" I've had this same exact question in the last few months.

[b]Something I now observe: Certain preaching seems more "authoritative".[/b] By this I mean that I've seen preaching since Nov 2007 that "produces" something. Something of righteousness that is manifest when I hear it. I WANT to obey it. It makes me think of that scripture that spoke of Jesus "He didn't teach as one of their scribes but as one having authority." The sermons I watch/hear from the revival conferences are examples of this. It makes me think THIS is what God had in mind when scripture says "Preach the word…" Something is produced that I must heed and it doesn't depend upon the fame or oration skills of the speaker. My exact thought has been "these men are on the authority of God", and I wish to follow and learn much from them.

The difference is amazing to me with typical Sundays verses some of this preaching I've heard. The Sundays seem (from my perspective) as merely teaching the technical words on the page and not the deeper MIND and understanding from God. So often the typical sermon will reference things in life like CULTURE, just assuming I am doing that thing. For example, some pastor will reference a TV show or movie and I think to myself, "My pastor doesn't mind if I watch that show." I mean, a lot of times whatever cultural reference the man speaks of, I do not do it. It seems like the preaching assumes I should just go along with the world. Few pastors will strongly say "do not sin" but offer instead "I know, we all do it." This just isn't something I want to follow. "Thanks for nothing," I often think.

I wonder if these men are on the authority of God at all! I used to shock myself thinking that, but now I'm getting used to it. I mean, one place I was at recently had about 3 times saying from various pastors "too often I am concerned more about MY honor than about God's" and they said it so nonchalantly that I wanted to burst out "The altar is always open!!" Of course I wouldn't dare, but that was my thought. I wish I could have a pastor as wishing to simply DIE for Christ and not die of a heart attack trying to keep up the feverish pace of fruitless programs.

2009/12/19 6:15Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

Quote:

Alive-to-God wrote:
MattChenier said
Quote:
I understand what it can be like to be rejected by the church.

I would be interested to hear something about the rejection you suffered, and in what ways you feel it is comparable to the common experience of divorced women, who might have legitimately expected 'church' to support them at a time of unspeakably profound distress, but instead are greeted with anything but?

This sounds like you are judging me... but, I will still answer.

I was greatly rejected by many church members for being zealous for the things of God. Many members of the church preferred complacency over compassion. I, being a brand new christian and church-goer, badly needed their support and encouragement, but often got avoided or shunned. I am not saying I didn't need some shunning for being a little rough around the edges, but complacent christians tend to be selfish when it comes to thinking of others. I was being rejected by the church for loving God.

I hope that measures up for you. If not, please forgive me for trying to sympathize.

2009/12/20 2:58Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, as an old man i refect on my youth in baltimore...tormented by demons...struggling for my sanity...headed for a place of eternal torment. in twenty four years there i never met a christian and never heard the gospel once. maybe they were arguing with each other over eternal security or which bible to read or how bad the church was that they went to etc...but as a varsity athlete and one of the top dancers in the state..no one loved me enough to tell me about Jesus not once...danny ost led thousands and thousands to the Lord in mexico and i never heard him speak a word about the things we argue about because he had a vision of hell with people .mexican people crying out "but no one ever told me" what is really important to you but your and my own actions of obedience in love.jimp

2009/12/20 4:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy