SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : All for one. One for all.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
imnowhere

Re:

I do realize it says that if you break one you've broken them all. What I don't understand is how or why that is. Maybe God doesn't tell us, but I was curious if any had an idea.

2009/12/2 12:32Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

imnowhere wrote:
You posted them, feel free to tell me what they mean.

How does the verse you posted change the fact that James didn't say 'it's as if' you broke them all, but rather you have?

When you started this thread, you said:
Quote:
I have an idea, but I'd like to hear what others' think.

You've seen what we think, but it seems our ideas are not acceptable to you. Instead of baiting more people to work for you so you can put them down, why don't you tell us what your idea is? (If you really have one.)

2009/12/2 12:41Profile
imnowhere

Re:

That's fine, you don't have to answer what your verse means that you posted.

Also, if it's all the same, feel free to ignore all my posts in the future and refrain from responding. I'm okay with that.

As far as 'what we think' and 'our ideas not acceptable', it's more just yours. I thanked the others for responding and genuinely appreciated their responses. I don't know if you are speaking for the others when you use the terms 'we' and 'us' or if you feel you are protecting them from my terrible question.

Thank you leo for your understanding and future restraint.

2009/12/2 14:42Profile
imnowhere

Re:

When this topic came up after church last Sunday, we began talking about it durring lunch. As we talked, I thought of comments made from an Auschwitz survivor that talked of how those that were in that terrible prison, who had been somewhat pleasant in more comfortable scenarios, became monsters when their comforts were taken away and their lives endangered. He spoke of how no one could be trusted because any would stab you in the back to make any gains for themselves.

I thought maybe that is why James said what he did. Maybe God is saying that if you will commit sin A, then under difficult circumstances or a time of distress, your heart would be revealed that you would commit the worst sins, or all of them.
That if there is sin in your heart, all it would take is strain to reveal the extent of that sin. That if you will steal when its not neccessary, under duress you would kill someone.

It seems that under comfortable circumstance and prosperity, it is easier to mask what's really in the heart. But God sees through us. He sees that if we will sin small, we would assuredly sin big. If we will break one command, under different circumstance we would break them all. But because God doesn't need circumstance to reveal what 's in the heart like we do, He can declare that if you break one, you've broke them all.

That's why I found the 'capacity' response interesting from live4jc. The 2 command response was enlightening too.

2009/12/2 14:53Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:
Thank you leo for your understanding and future restraint.

imnowhere,

No need to thank me. I will not be restrained by you or anyone else who likes to play around with this forum. I will respond as I see fit.

So, where is your idea that you said you had at the start of this thread? Is it not fit to post?

----EDIT:
Oh, I see you posted it while I was typing.
Let me read then I'll comment as I see fit.

2009/12/2 14:57Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Hmmm...

Your "idea" seems to exactly the same as what the others had posted, yet you seemed unsatisfied and you responded to them with this:

Quote:
It seems as its a 'legal' type verse, saying we've broken all if we've broken one. It doesn't say 'it's like' we've broken all either, but rather that we 'have'. I also think that a good understanding of this verse and the reason it's true would help in defending the guilt of mankind before God to those that downplay or whitewash their sins. Being guilty of 'all' the law before God is a sobering fact. [b]But how?[/b]

See what I mean by playing around? Although their answer was the same as your idea, you push them playfully with another: But how?

Your idea is:
Quote:
[b]Maybe[/b] God is saying that if you will commit sin A, then under difficult circumstances or a time of distress, your heart would be revealed that you would commit the worst sins, or all of them. That if there is sin in your heart, all it would take is strain to reveal the extent of that sin. That if you will steal when its not neccessary, under duress you would kill someone. It seems that under comfortable circumstance and prosperity, it is easier to mask what's really in the heart. But God sees through us. He sees that if we will sin small, we would assuredly sin big. If we will break one command, under different circumstance we would break them all. But because God doesn't need circumstance to reveal what 's in the heart like we do, [b]He can declare that if you break one, you've broke them all[/b].

The last part of your "idea" that I marked in bold font is the correct answer, which is the same as everybody else's answer.

The long "Maybe" part is dangerous conjecture because no one, nowhere, can know the mind of God.

2009/12/2 15:12Profile
imnowhere

Re:

Quote:
Your "idea" seems to exactly the same as what the others had posted, yet you seemed unsatisfied and you responded to them with this:

My guess was 'exactly' the same as the other answers given?

Quote:
See what I mean by playing around? Although their answer was the same as your idea, you push them playfully with another: But how?

Are you bipolar or just paranoid or what? What is this? Can I ask for a genuine discussion on a topic without you always popping up telling me about my alterior motives?

Quote:
The last part of your "idea" that I marked in bold font is the correct answer, which is the same as everybody else's answer.
The long "Maybe" part is dangerous conjecture because no one, nowhere, can know the mind of God.

First, thanks Ms. Leo for marking my paper's correct spots with bold ink. That was helpful.
Second, it was dangerous conjecture to put down my idea peppered with 'maybes'?

Do you have a lot of time on your hands?

I see the suggestion to ignore my posts didn't fare too well.

2009/12/2 15:44Profile
Logic

Re:

If you brake one command, you brake the law.
If you brake another command, you brake the law.
If you brake a different command, you brake the law.

Therefore, when you brake a commandment, you brake the whole law.

2009/12/2 17:02Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:
Are you bipolar or just paranoid or what? What is this? Can I ask for a genuine discussion on a topic without you always popping up telling me about my [b]alterior[/b] motives?

I am neither bipolar nor paranoid. I hope you don't mind a little correction here, but that word should be spelled [b]ulterior[/b].
Quote:
Second, it was dangerous conjecture to put down my idea peppered with 'maybes'?

The dangerous part of your thoughts was not the 'maybes', but this part (without the maybe):
Quote:
God is saying that if you will commit sin A, then under difficult circumstances or a time of distress, your heart would be revealed that you would commit the worst sins, or all of them. That if there is sin in your heart, all it would take is strain to reveal the extent of that sin. That if you will steal when its not neccessary, under duress you would kill someone.

You are attributing a thought to God that is not in Scripture, and I believe it is illogical to think that someone who steals will be a murderer under the right conditions. Dangerous conjecture here. Stick with the simple and obvious meaning.

2009/12/2 17:14Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

imnowhere wrote:

Quote:

I do realize it says that if you break one you've broken them all. What I don't understand is how or why that is. Maybe God doesn't tell us, but I was curious if any had an idea.

As for breaking all the laws if you've broken one, I think that by the Lord stating this, it shows His heart in the matter of sin.

The pharisees would break certain laws, for example divorce, and be ok with it. But when it came to adultry, they would stone others for it. I think that the Lord was stating that ALL sin is bad, and that the severity of sin is not based on what we mortals believe, but what He says.

Not sure if this helps or hurts your question, but God bless anyways! :-)

2009/12/2 17:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy