SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : suggestion about unwanted SI messages

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

suggestion about unwanted SI messages

I have been having this thought come across my mind over the past couple of weeks concerning unwanted spam and others who try to bombard SI.

Why not have a filtering system, where anyone who wants to sign up, must first write a testimony in the Welcome and Introduction section? This obviously will create some extra work for the moderators, but a quick testimony may deter and/or hinder many from dropping in and dropping out randomly and recklessly.

Obviously, this is just a thought with little research, although, I am certain that if there is a real problem, then there is a much more real solution.

This would not be to set up walls against those wanting to take part in what God, through Greg, has started, rather to keep floods from penetrating babes in the faith and those who are searching for Truth.

Just a thought.

:-(

2009/11/11 5:44
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: suggestion about unwanted SI messages

Brother,

this is a great idea. I do need to put something similar like this in place. I am going to work for the sermon comments to have to be approved by moderators first but as you said for the forums there should be some "saftey" to ensure people who are registering are seeking truth. etc.

Do pray for me to have wisdom to do the Lords will. I am open to any other suggestions.

2009/11/11 6:21Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I'm a member of another forum that uses this system for new members. It seems to work pretty well...

With care in Christ...

2009/11/11 6:58Profile

Re: suggestion about unwanted SI messages

Quote:
but a quick testimony may deter and/or hinder many from dropping in and dropping out randomly and recklessly.

You wouldn't want it to be a quick one, a quick one can be easily manufactured. What it could be is a 500 word testimony of sorts and one of the Moderators OR better yet select a new ADMIN that will prayerfully carry out the selection of newbies coming in. Instant access should go the way of the Dodo and a space of a day or two should pass before applications are approved.

2009/11/11 10:27
PassingThru

Re:

I am quite privacy conscience when it comes to writing personal details on the web and wouldn't like to "introduce" myself to the millions of anonymous internet users that I know nothing about.

An alternative mechanism would be to allow established, frequent users (say those with 500+ posts) to flag 'troll' posts. If a user is flagged as a 'troll' by 2-3 users they would be automatically suspended.

Once suspended their posts could be automatically replaced with a text explaining that the user has breached the site's code of conduct. This eliminates the attention & public exposure they are looking for.

Optionally the text could publicly expose the source IP address of the unwanted messages, although these can easily be masked by a savvy user, or worse someone could be piggy backing off a neighbour's unprotected wireless network passing the 'blame' onto an innocent neighbour.

A mechanism of this type also delegates the workload off Greg's shoulders which he might appreciate, while allowing genuine users to remain as anonymous as they like.

PassingThru

2009/11/11 10:54Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Greg

My son in on a forum that has tight rules in place. In order to insure that all post are child friendly when a person first signs up all of their posts go through a moderator for the first three weeks of joining the forum. IF anything is deemed unacceptable it gets bounced and warnings are sent to the account holder. They have a three strikes and your out policy that they stick to. After the three week grace period is over the person can post with out the mod viewing it first, but they still monitor all post to insure the rules are followed. Not sure how practical this method would be for SI though, it would seem to require a great deal more time from the moderators and I realize you are busy as things are now.

God Bless
maryjane

2009/11/11 10:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
worse someone could be piggy backing off a neighbour's unprotected wireless network

Yikes, I've been found out! :-P

2009/11/11 11:04
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

PassingThru wrote:
I am quite privacy conscience when it comes to writing personal details on the web and wouldn't like to "introduce" myself to the millions of anonymous internet users that I know nothing about.

An alternative mechanism would be to allow established, frequent users (say those with 500+ posts) to flag 'troll' posts. If a user is flagged as a 'troll' by 2-3 users they would be automatically suspended.

Once suspended their posts could be automatically replaced with a text explaining that the user has breached the site's code of conduct. This eliminates the attention & public exposure they are looking for.

Optionally the text could publicly expose the source IP address of the unwanted messages, although these can easily be masked by a savvy user, or worse someone could be piggy backing off a neighbour's unprotected wireless network passing the 'blame' onto an innocent neighbour.

A mechanism of this type also delegates the workload off Greg's shoulders which he might appreciate, while allowing genuine users to remain as anonymous as they like.

PassingThru

This sounds like a good idea, but instead of the 500+ posts required (one can get 500+ by "amen"-ing all threads all the time), the moderators should appoint several forum "elders" chosen prayerfully based on previous participation - men of sound and mature faith. These "elders", guided by a set of rules provided by the moderators, can do the tagging to enforce forum ethics. This will provide an additional layer of protection to what moderators are already doing.

2009/11/11 11:52Profile
HeartSong

Re:

For what it is worth, if there had been all of these "requirements" (or any for that matter) when I "stumbled upon" SermonIndex, it is unlikely that I would have ever joined - for Satan had me so bound in fear that I would never have taken the risk of "exposing myself" by doing these things that you are speaking of. I was extremely reluctant to even provide my name and email address. Additionally, for the moment, the Lord has required that I stay "hidden" to some degree. While I do not know the purpose in this, it is my intention to obey His requirements.

It is the Lord that keeps us safe. A good "wolf" will be able to get by all of the roadblocks but an injured lamb will not even try.

2009/11/12 0:31Profile
Laviver

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
For what it is worth, if there had been all of these "requirements" (or any for that matter) when I "stumbled upon" SermonIndex, it is unlikely that I would have ever joined...

Likewise. Heartsong you are singing my heart's exact feelings tonight on a number of issues it seems.

2009/11/12 0:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy