SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I dont think there is any harm in celebrating the OT festivals simply for a sense of Biblical heritage, or to help your children understand the OT better... so long as we are not decieved into ]thinking that in doing so we are gaining favor with God, or it has anything to do with salvation.

If do so thinking it makes us more spiritual, or earns us favor or even salvation... then we are deceived.

Krispy

Good point...I think some practice it for the sake of observing, just like christians observe there days.

2009/10/26 11:11
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

To me, it is a sad thing to see so many Christians involving themselves in the Old Covenant feasts.

All these feasts are fulfilled in Christ and His church... in a NEW Covenant.

"Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us" (1 Cor. 5.7).

Pentecost was fulfilled in the coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2.1).

And the fulfillment of the feast of tabernacles is yet before us, the "great finale," you might say, unto which the purposes of God are leading.

I highly recommend George Warnock's book The Feast of Tabernacles to any who are questioning these things.

You can find it at [url=www.georgewarnock.com]www.georgewarnock.com[/url].

We are to move beyond the realm of types and shadows of the law into "the true," the fulfillment of all these. See Heb. 8.5, 9.24, 10.1.

Wonderful things these types and shadows speak of!

...But when the Judaizers get wind of a thread like this it generally turns sour.

2009/10/26 12:21Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just to add some food for thought: The application of these things also applies to the practice of "tithing." Tithing was bound up in all the other ceremony of the law. True, it pre-dated the law, but, then again, so did the rest of the sacrificial system which existed prior to Moses.

2009/10/26 12:43Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
True, it pre-dated the law, but, then again, so did the rest of the sacrificial system which existed prior to Moses.

Yes, including circumscision.

2009/10/26 13:10Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
Just to add some food for thought: The application of these things also applies to the practice of "tithing."

Good observation, Jimmy.

...And the Sabbath, as well (Heb. 4.5).

2009/10/26 13:53Profile
Laviver

Re:

Tagging onto the Rom. 14:6 passage already mentioned, Rom. 14:5 "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind."

2009/10/26 13:54Profile

Re: Keeping traditions.

Ask this same question to the Messianic Jew, or to MOST of the christian congregations in Israel, and you may be surprised. I was astonished at the number of "Messianics" who devoutly keep all of the feasts, as a form of ritualistic righteousness. The strongest of these, is Sabbath keeping, of course, but it is surely kept by Christians to the jot and tittle. It is plain Judiaizing, and in some places it is if there are two Christian Faiths, not one.

This has been taken to such extremes, that men like John Hagee actually believe in a Gentile messiah, and a Jewish one. I haven't figured out if there the same Jesus yet.

There is also a strong sentiment in Israel that magnetizes around a national identity, and an ensuing move to abolish or cripple other mechanisms that may continue dependence on any other culture. English is being minimized, as every Jew must learn Hebrew, and it is spoken less and less on a National scale.

The problem with keeping the holy days as ritual is that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the spirit of God, or operating out of faith, or obedience in the heart, nor does it have a whit to do with the actual cross that kills our inward Adam, so evil.

It certainly has the benefits of types and shadows, which may offer deep insights into the Kingdom and the ministry of our Lord Jesus, but is utterly impotent in it's ability to change a life to learn how to love.

By the way, the Pharissee's gloried in their obedience to the sabbath and the feasts. They murdered Jesus.

2009/10/26 14:59
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
The problem with keeping the holy days as ritual is that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the spirit of God,

Good word.

2009/10/26 15:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

I realize that many Christians feel that the festivals are unnecessary but as a history buff, I would love to know more about them. I went to my first Passover Seder three years ago and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of how Christ is represented and worshiped in each part of it. You have to experience it.

I would love to attend a church that taught the difference between the Old and New Covenants along with the purpose of the festivals WITHOUT incorporating all the LAW, but I do not know if there is such a thing!

The closest I've found is Robert Thompson's church in CA. I haven't listened to him in a while but when I did he seemed to really pull in the purpose of the feasts.

Sermonindex: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=522]Robert B. Thompson[/url]

An Introduction to the Works of [url=http://wor.org/Books/p/Present.htm]Robert B. Thompson[/url]

[url=http://wor.org/Books/f/feasts11.sn.htm]The Feasts of the Lord[/url]

I've studied some but if you go at the festivals with an attitude of learning more about Jesus in them, I believe you will be blessed. How could you not? (huge grin)

PS: A good sermon from his website it:
Lloyd Darlington #5141 - [b]Be a Good Slave [/b]20050109 [url=http://wor.org/audio/audio.htm]Audio Library[/url]

2009/10/26 17:02Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Lysa said:

Quote:
I went to my first Passover Seder three years ago and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of how Christ is represented and worshiped in each part of it. You have to experience it.

Jesus Christ is worshiped by the Jews in the Passover Seder? Interesting... I always thought they rejected his divinity.

2009/10/26 17:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy