SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : saved by...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ceedub

Canada

saved by...

What does the word 'grace' actually mean and actually imply?

The bible says we're saved by it.
What does that mean exactly?

2009/10/5 18:15Profile

Re: saved by...

Strongs concordance gives us a very good "working" definition.

'Divine influence on the heart and it's reflection into the life!

2009/10/5 19:23

Re:

By God's divine influence we are brought to the point where we freely choose to repent of our sins and believe the Gospel, so that our penalty can be remitted by God's unmerited forgiveness because of the atonement.

2009/10/5 19:36
Logic

Quote:

ceedub wrote:

Kindness, favor...etc...

2009/10/5 22:10Profile
BeingMolded

USA

Grace is God's unmerited favor. "Though our sins be as scarlet they shall be white as snow." When we come to the realization that we are a sinner and cannot be in the presence of a Holy God with sin in our heart and we cannot remove it ourself. We come humbly to Jesus who paid the price for all sin and ask for forgiveness it is through faith in Him and by His grace we are cleansed of the sin that seperates us from Him. To quote John Newton: "Twas grace that tought my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved."

2009/10/5 22:29Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

ceedub wrote:

Logic:
Kindness, favor...etc...

There's definitely two different renditions of grace out there.
If John Newton believed grace meant 'kindness, favor etc' I don't think he'd have sung that it taught his heart to fear.

The reason Newton wrote that, I believe, is because, like the prodigal, he knew that the walk back to the Father was fearful. To come to God in need of actual grace, that is, to come to God with completely empty hands and moreover a pile of wrong that needs His mercy... that is scary.

True grace teaches our hearts to fear.

Cheap, artificial grace; the kind that gives God alot of the glory but holds back some for ourselves, whether we admit it or not, isn't really saving grace at all.

And it doesn't teach us to fear.

It teaches us to boast. And not in the cross.

Rom 11:6

2009/10/6 0:29Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Quote:
By God's divine influence we are brought to the point where we freely choose to repent of our sins and believe the Gospel, so that our penalty can be remitted by God's unmerited forgiveness because of the atonement.

See, this is what I just don't get.
This response says we have to repent and believe of our own free-will first, and then God can grant unmerited forgiveness.

So first we have to do this, this, this and this....then God will grant unmeritted forgiveness and unmeritted grace upon us because of what we did of our own free will, our own actions of will.

I think this is what Paul was speaking to in Rom 11:6

2009/10/6 0:34Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

This definition is from the New Dictionary of Biblical Theology [i]“God’s generous initiative and sustaining faithfulness culminating in the powerful, restorative activity of God on behalf of humanity”[/i]

I borrowed this from the Resurgence as it sums it up better than I could-
[i]"Grace, therefore is a character trait of God that is independent of human influence, yet sufficient and effective in transforming those to whom it is displayed. Scripture uses words such as “lovingkindness” and “favor” to describe grace, and the result is the recipient’s ongoing delight in God"[/i]

2009/10/6 0:55Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

In swedish we do not have this word, exactly translated, so it has been my endevour to try grasp the words meening :-) sometimes in swedish it is translated , mercy, favor, mercifulness etc.

And sometimes the translators just skipped the word, like when paul writes his letters in some he says "grace, mercy and....." so they just skipped the word since it would be strange to translate it mercy and mercy to you"

I think mercy is when we received from God that which we did not deserve, grace is Gods favor when he enables us to live out what he has done for us, the only thing we need is His grace, so being saved by grace to me means that we are saved by Gods power and will that enables us to walk in faith in the same manner as Christ did on this earth. in all things, all trials, all temptations then Gods grace is sufficient, and by His grace we are saved, not just once upon a time, but daily in every situation his grace is sufficient that we would walk in faith like Christ did.

:-) i am sure others have a much better definition , but that is what i have noticed so far

Gods grace to all of you in abundance!

2009/10/6 1:32Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
In swedish we do not have this word

Thanks for sharing that brother, I had no idea about that.

Is Swedish anything like German? If so, you could always check out Luther's translation of the New Testament.

2009/10/6 1:34Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy