SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Just Believe or Repentance & Faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
poet

Longview WA

Re:

Matt 3:1-2 1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repent:Metanoeo: 3340 metanoevw Metanoeo (met-an-o-eh'-o);
Word Origin: Greek, Verb
from (3326) and (3539)

to change one's mind, i.e. to repent
to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Notice the verb.

Repent is mentioned 21 seperate times in the new testament.

Believe:Pisteuo: 4100 pisteuvw Pisteuo (pist-yoo'-o);
Word Origin: Greek, Verb
from (4102)

to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
of the thing believed
to credit, have confidence
in a moral or religious reference
used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith 1bc) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
to be intrusted with a thing

Faith:Pistis: 4102 pivstiß Pistis (pis'-tis);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine
from (3982)

conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
relating to God
the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
relating to Christ
a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
the religious beliefs of Christians
belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
fidelity, faithfulness
the character of one who can be relied on

IN my opinion, we must repent,"be sorry, and decide that our way of doing is wrong and God's way is right, and we set our hearts to do it God's way"....
Believe in Him, "Jesus" not only that he exists, but believe or trust the fact He is capable to not only forgive your sins but also transform you from a sinner who practices sinnful behavior, to someone who is not only sorry for the sinnful behavior but to someone who is growing in maturity and not doing the things that will cast the disobedient into the lake of fire for eternity.
Faith: this is interesting, but faithfullness is something God always is and something were striving for. to have Faith in God is two fold, one is to be assured he will do what he says he will do, but having faith in God means also we are faithful to him as well.
If were not faithful, were not really believing in Him either, if were not faithful or following him, were not really repenting or having a repentant attitude all the time.

My thoughts.

2009/9/3 0:38Profile

Re:

God only turns from His wrath if sinners turn from their sinning:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).

“Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions, so iniquity shall not be your ruin… Cast away from you all of your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die… For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves and live ye” (Ezekiel 18:30-32).

“Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon” (Isaiah 55:7).

“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy” (Proverbs 28:13).

“Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee” (Acts 8:22).

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent…. For the remission of sins…” (Acts 2:38).

“Repent, ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out…” (Acts 3:19).

“Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life” (Acts 11:18).

The Bible talks about “repentance to salvation…” (2 Corinthians 7:10).

When the Bible talks about justification by works, it is not talking about repentance preachers, it is talking about Judaizers who say that you must be circumcised and obey the Torah (Acts 15:1; Rom. 2:25-29; Rom. 3:28-30; Rom. 4:4-10; 1 Cor. 7:19; Gal. 2:3-7; Gal. 5:2-4). Read these passages in context and you see that Paul’s point was that Gentiles do not need to be circumcised or obey the Torah. He was not saying that you can be forgiven without repenting of your sins!

Consider how Paul's ministry was to call Gentiles to repentance (Acts 26:20) and Paul preached repentance (Acts 17:30-31)

“Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God” 1 Cor. 7:19

“For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, not uncircumcision, but faith which worketh by love.” Gal. 5:6

“and though I have all faith… and have not love, I am nothing” 1 Cor. 13:2

“What doth is profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him?... Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone… ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.” James 2:14, 17, 24

2009/9/3 2:51

Re:

The Bible warns about another Gospel, another Jesus, another faith. The true Gospel requires that men choose to repent of their sins. Jesus called men to repent of their sins. Living faith rejects sin. Those who say that you do not need to forsake your sins to be saved are preaching another Gospel, another Jesus, and another faith. That might sound harsh, but a message void of repentance cannot save. A Gospel that does not require repentance cannot save. A Jesus who does not demand repentance is fake. A faith that does not include repentance will only condemn. A preacher who says you do not need to repent is a preacher who will help you go to hell. Beware of these preachers!

2009/9/3 23:34
jimp

Re:

hi, Jesus took care of the sin question on the cross... to say a lost man can turn from sin is to say that man did not need this sacrifice.. the repent we must have is turning our lives over to the Lordship of Christ from the lordship of self...read romans 6.7.8 we must walk in the Spirit not in the flesh...humility is gained by understanding what Jesus did on the cross for us..HE is the saviour..jimp

2009/9/4 8:05Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Brothers:

[b]truefaithsav said:[/b]
"The true Gospel requires that men choose to repent of their sins. Jesus called men to repent of their sins. Living faith rejects sin. Those who say that you do not need to forsake your sins to be saved are preaching another Gospel, another Jesus, and another faith."

[b]and then jimp said:[/b]
"Jesus took care of the sin question on the cross... to say a lost man can turn from sin is to say that man did not need this sacrifice.. the repent we must have is turning our lives over to the Lordship of Christ from the lordship of self.."

[u]This is like arguing: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?[/u] Too much Christian energy is wasted in unproductive quibbling over little things. [b]What is important is that, no matter which of the above arguments hold true, man will turn away from sin if he has true faith and accepts the lordship of Christ. [/b]Should we belabor the point of which occurred first? Is it at all necessary? All we need to do is agree that it is faith in God that makes all these possible. [b]Does this faith come from the man or is it provided by God as part of his grace? I don't need to know the answer to that as long as faith happens, repentance happens, and rebirth happens.[/b]

2009/9/4 12:06Profile
imnowhere

Re:

Quote:
This is like arguing: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Too much Christian energy is wasted in unproductive quibbling over little things.

Does God see the glory of sinful man's salvation as a 'little thing'?

Unfortunately we have to think about God in this and not just our own opinions. Does God care how salvation comes about? Does He care who receives the glory for His crowning work? Does he mind when sinful men take the credit and glory for His most treasured work?

You said you don't understand or know which came first. Best to look into God's word a little more before teaching hundreds of God's people that He doesn't care who receives the glory.

You might not care. But He does.

Is 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another...

2009/9/4 12:16Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear imnowhere,

This is the second time that you have tried to put words in my mouth.

Quote:
You said you don't understand or know which came first. Best to look into God's word a little more before teaching hundreds of God's people that He doesn't care who receives the glory.

I did not say this, and my post is right above for all to see. Like I said before, I'm not into playing games with you.

2009/9/4 12:25Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
jimp wrote:
hi, Jesus took care of the sin question on the cross... to say a lost man can turn from sin is to say that man did not need this sacrifice

The fact that man is not suposed to sin implies that he is able not to.

The sacrifice (Atonement) is not so that man may be able to turn from his sin, but it is so that he may be foregiven from his past sins which were able to be avoided in the first place.

[b]IF[/b] Jesus took care of sin on the cross, then you have universal salvation. Because if all sin was forgiven on the cross, then those who reject Christ to their death would be forgiven.

Jesus only took care of sin on the cross only if one truns from sin. If one does not turn from sin, it proves that he never had faith to begin with.

2009/9/4 12:27Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
imnowhere wrote:

Does He care who receives the glory for His crowning work? Does he mind when sinful men take the credit and glory for His most treasured work?
Is 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another...

Sounds as if you imly that repentance from sin gives glory to man.

[b]Luke 17:9[/b] [color=990000]Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
[b]:10[/b] So likewise you, when you shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.[/color]

Doing a duty is never anything to boast in.
to boast in duty would be like saying, "hey, I'm so proude of my self, I did what I'm suposed to do. Ain't I great"

The comand to repent is all mankinds duty:
[b]Act 17:30[/b] [color=990000]And the times of this ignorance God overlooked; but now commands [b]all men everywhere[/b] to repent:[/color]

[b]Question:[/b]
How could all men everywhere repent if they can not untill Jesus first gives them the ability?

Remember, commanding an imposibility is sadistic, if not tyranical; especially if one is punished for not doing that which they can not do.

2009/9/4 12:37Profile
imnowhere

Re:

Quote:
Does this faith come from the man or is it provided by God as part of his grace? I don't need to know the answer to that as long as faith happens, repentance happens, and rebirth happens.

You think this is a game?
You're telling hundreds or thousands of people online that it is 'a small thing' , that it 'doesn't matter' how are salvation comes about? Will you preach that sermon on the other side?

You're right it's not a game.

2009/9/4 12:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy