SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What we experienced at Barnsdall

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Good question. Speaking for myself personaly, I am not in leadership, having left the church that I attended for 10 years over some of the issues that were addressed by the speakers.

"Since so many people seemingly sensed a a taste of freedom during this event"

Not seemingly, actually............Frank

2009/6/7 18:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

How many are going to back to their respective 'church' or fellowship and not settle for anything less?

I believe one of the things talked about at some point in the conference was this very thing. I think it was in the Q&A session? Either way, the solution is always to make sure revival begins and continues with you. Whether or not other brothers really "get it" is not as important as you getting it and walking in it. Also, leadership in God's church isn't so much about position as it is about one's personal influence and functioning.

If you are truly revived in the Spirit, YOU WILL be a leader within your church, regardless if you are assigned to a position or sit on a board. When one is truly like Jesus, and walking in His life, His presence and will shall be made known through you. This is where we have great need of being patient, meek, and gentle. We must grow up and truly become spiritual fathers of the faith, and leading by example, encouraging others to follow us in the example we actually set.

Otherwise, if we are not this, then holding some "leadership position" within the church will lead one to be spiritual abusive and manipulative by "throwing one's weight around." The only "weight" we should have is the glory of God in our face. Interestingly enough the word for "glory" in the Hebrew denotes a heavy weight.

2009/6/7 18:22Profile

nice word Jimmy

Quote:
If you are truly revived in the Spirit, YOU WILL be a leader within your church, regardless if you are assigned to a position or sit on a board. When one is truly like Jesus, and walking in His life, His presence and will shall be made known through you. This is where we have great need of being patient, meek, and gentle. We must grow up and truly become spiritual fathers of the faith, and leading by example, encouraging others to follow us in the example we actually set.

amen!

I actually got to "see" you and listen to your words via the webcam, well spoke brother.

2009/6/7 18:42

Re: nice word Jimmy

"If you are truly revived in the Spirit, YOU WILL be a leader within your church, regardless if you are assigned to a position or sit on a board. When one is truly like Jesus, and walking in His life, His presence and will shall be made known through you. This is where we have great need of being patient, meek, and gentle. We must grow up and truly become spiritual fathers of the faith, and leading by example, encouraging others to follow us in the example we actually set.'

While I agree with the principals Jimmy is talking about, I do feel it is incumbant upon leadership to change. One of the reasons that the Lord visited us during the conference was because "He was allowed to." Now I know that sounds like a strange statement. Yet, there was considerable freedom for people to give a word or a Scripture or sing a hymn as they were led by the Spirit. Now, this did not occur while the speakers spoke, for there was order, it did occur during our prayer service before the speaker spoke. We did not hide in a back room to pray, we prayed openly at the front of the sanctuary. I think this was a key descision. A Scripture was read, a short prayer was said, then it was open to who-ever had gathered in the sanctuary. There was a core group of prayer warriors, but it was open for anyone. A very simple example was when a man approaced me and said he believed that the Lord had put a particular hymn on his heart for the congregation to sing. Since he could not sing, could I lead it of. Well, since I cannot sing :) I asked the worship leader to sing it which he gladly did. Its so simple, yet so profound. The Holy Spirit was leading and guiding and there was such a consintancy in the prayers and the Scriptures and the songs that were shared.............Frank

2009/6/7 19:19
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Don't get me wrong, there must be a repentance in the heart of those who are in "leadership" at a given church. We must all learn to submit to the headship of Jesus Christ, and be like John the Baptist, willing to decrease and get out of the way so that He might increase. Indeed, the fear of many leaders is that by getting out of the way, they might somehow be deprived of the "benefits" of being a leader. But Christ warned us of this very thing. The ultimate question is will we respond to the Lord in faith, or will we respond to the Lord in fear.

2009/6/7 20:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: nice word Jimmy

Quote:

I actually got to "see" you and listen to your words via the webcam, well spoke brother.

I hope you were blessed. I wasn't aware that they were going to broadcast the congregation's participation. Either way, I still would have spoken just the same. :-)

2009/6/7 20:16Profile

Re:

Really Jimmy its just the nuts and bolts of it. If people do not allow freedom then there will be no freedom. The Lord will not come where He is not welcome or where He has to fit into mens programs. This is not a small thing, its almost all of it in regard to why there is a famine in the land. With the presence of the Lord comes many things, including conviction of sin and a burden to put it right...........Frank

2009/6/7 20:59
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I think a lot of it goes back also to the word the one brother spoke about capacity. Lake Michigan surely has enough water in it to water the entire state. But such can't happen by simply using a garden hose. May God widen all of our capacities :-)

2009/6/7 21:43Profile

Re:

Jimmy has to put a smile on things now because he has met me and he knows I am a crazy Scotsman :) I like the capacity thing, although we have to choose to yield :).........Frank

2009/6/7 22:18
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

I enjoyed reading each or your assessments of this particular conference. I have been to all three of those in the states, and each of them had their particular blessings. I was blessed in the first one simply because so many people would travel so many miles, both speakers and attendees, seeking God for revival. I was blessed by the preaching, by the fact that so many theological stripes met together in common cause, seeking God. It was and is a hallmark of so many of the revivals in history for people to put aside denominational pride and humbly pray together for God to come among us in the manifestation of His holiness.

The times of singing in the conference at Atlanta were blessed times of worship for me and for those who attended with me from our church. Again there was that mutual seeking for revival. The preaching was certainly excellent and challenging, and the breakout sessions as well.

But in neither of these, as already has been stated, was the freedom, the sense of fellowship in the Spirit, the sense of God’s manifest presence, the sense of the conviction of sin bringing confessions and at the same time the sense of God’s love drawing men and women to total surrender to His Lordship… willing slaves to His love.

To be quite honest since I did not know that much about any of the speakers, and since it was much earlier in the year, and since it was in a place I was totally unfamiliar with, I almost did not go. We had just finished a week of camp in which I had preached every night and I was tired, and had followed the camp with preaching both services on Sunday, so I could not see driving for over 8 hours to a place that I felt would be poorly attended in the first place. But somehow I felt urged to go all afternoon on Sunday. The children had no excitement about going either, but the more I talked about it, the more they began to get a little excited about going. So close to midnight on Sunday evening I made the Priceline. Com commitment and could not get out of it.

That night Jordan, my CP child, stayed awake all night long, literally, and I was concerned about how he was going to fare while we were gone, but my daughter assured me that he would be fine and urged us on. But I was thinking “I am not going to be able to stay awake to drive”. But it is amazing what some good strong Louisiana coffee and determination can do to keep you awake. I got the children up about 7 AM. They had their quite time; we started packing and headed for Oklahoma.

I am so very glad we came.

I can ditto almost everything that has already been stated but must add that one of the most prized things for me this time was the fellowship. Not only did I get to meet the Scot with whom I have butted heads at least one time, but the King, Robert, and even got to chat with Greg for a short while.

I thank God for time spent in conversation with Alan Martin, and meeting several other brothers with whom I could share this [i]hapax[/i] faith.

One of the treasures was the time spent with Brother and Sister Courville… and the greatest highlight of the trip for my children was the time they spent with their children and members of their fellowship. They have not stopped talking about how glad they are to have met them, and I so appreciate the spirit of Christ displayed in them.
I am basically a shy person (obviously that doesn't mean I don't like to talk... sort of like some of those afore mentioned ones I met... just look above) :-) and like a fish out of water in a crowd of people that I do not know, but the agape meals so graciously served by the FBC and the smallness of the foyer forced me into making acquaintances that I will treasure. There is no doubt at all, that the reason of such precious [i]koinōnia[/i], was the presence of the Holy Spirit in all the services. May God spread through all of those who were there, the sweet fragrance of the unique flavor of this conference!

Clint

2009/6/8 0:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy