SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : WHO DREAMED UP THIS PLAN FOR SURVIVAL? by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 WHO DREAMED UP THIS PLAN FOR SURVIVAL? by David Wilkerson

[b]WHO DREAMED UP THIS PLAN FOR SURVIVAL?[/b]

“And the word of the Lord came unto him [Elijah], saying, Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward, and hide thyself by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan” (I Kings 17: 2–3).

As Elijah looked ahead to the coming crisis, things must have looked absolutely hopeless to him. But God had a specific survival plan in mind for his faithful servant. He instructed the prophet, “Go east to the Jordan River, and there you will find Cherith, a little tributary that runs off. You can get all the drinking water you need from that brook. In addition, I’ve arranged for food to be delivered to you daily, by my courier ravens!”

How could any person, in a million years, ever dream up this kind of a plan for survival? How could Elijah ever have imagined he’d be sent to a hidden brook to find water to drink, when there was nothing but drought everywhere else in the land? How could he ever have thought a daily supply of bread would be brought to him by ravenous birds that ate everything they sank their beaks into?

Later, times got hard for Elijah, because the brook finally dried up. But God stepped in again, giving the prophet another fresh word of direction. He said, “Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow there to sustain thee” (v. 9). Again, I have to ask—how could anyone ever think a poor widow woman, in the midst of a depression, could feed a man for days, weeks, months on end? But the fact is, God uses the most despised, insignificant things of the world for his glory. And he told Elijah, “If you’ll go to her and do what I tell you, you’ll survive. Listen to me—heed my direction—and you’ll make it through!”

The evidence is overwhelming: God—our adviser, counselor and survival expert—has a detailed plan for every one of his children, to help us face the worst of times!

2009/3/10 10:53Profile

Re: WHO DREAMED UP THIS PLAN FOR SURVIVAL? by David Wilkerson

Greg, is there a date as to when this was written?

Thanks.

2009/3/10 11:21
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

It was written today on his blog:
http://davidwilkersontoday.blogspot.com/

You can signup for email updates on his blog also.

2009/3/10 12:06Profile

Re:

Thanks. The reason I was asking was I wanted to discern if he sensed some criticism about his message and give a non-specific (in terms of audience) response.

To me, this seems to be directed at those who have questioned biblical prophesies that included specific information such as food storage etc...

In light of all the differing scriptural views on this, it seems that time will bear this out.

2009/3/10 12:36
HeartSong

Re:

It is not so much about who is right, and who is wrong, for that is the way of the world. It is about the Spirit of God, speaking through His servants, being heard of His children, that they may be made aware of that which is to be done.

If our focus is on who is saying what, rather than on what the Lord is putting forth, and what He would have us to receive, we will miss that which we need to know.

2009/3/10 13:20Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: WHO DREAMED UP THIS PLAN FOR SURVIVAL? by David Wilkerson

Quote:
The evidence is overwhelming: God—our adviser, counselor and survival expert—has a detailed plan for every one of his children, to help us face the worst of times!

I told someone yesterday that if these events take place we will have to [u]TRUST[/u] God as we [i]already[/i] should be doing. If we store up goods then we have a problem. We cannot square an abundance of goods with the Christian life in times of famine. Christians would have to shut the bowels of their compassion against those in need to maintain their stocks. That would be sin. We would also need the protection of God or a gun to keep theives from breaking in and stealing. People do unfathomably radical things when they are starving.

So we need to be trusting God now as a matter of course in our lives so that in times of trouble we don't shift our trust from what we 'were' trusting to God- but we just keep on doing what we already do as if it were any other day. You may have a good job now- but you still should be consciously trusting God for direction and provision. Jehovah Jireh- my provider. God is directing our steps. The battle may be fierce. Take no thought- but trust in the God that clothes the fields and feeds the sparrows.

2009/3/10 14:29Profile

Re:

"If our focus is on who is saying what, rather than on what the Lord is putting forth, and what He would have us to receive, we will miss that which we need to know."

I respectfully disagree. A prophecy was put forth and what that prophecy said was important. And I'm sure Wilkerson would believe it was important, otherwise it wouldn't have been written. Likewise, it was challenged by two respected brethren in Christ and posted here. Zac Poonen and John Piper both weighed in and both probably felt it important enough to do so. These aren't disagreements between three egotistical bloggers, they are respected men of God who are not trying to start controversy but are writing out of their own convictions. I have listened to many Poonen and Wilkerson sermons so for this not to be of interest would be disingenuous.

I'm not worried about what they said as to frame it as some sort of 'secular tiff' but I will take note that "something was said" here. And what is being put forth thus far are words from Godly men who probably believe they speak for the Lord or, should I say, that the Lord is speaking through them in some way.

I don't put my eggs in their basket, my relationship with God and His word to me is paramount, but I'll recognize that there are eggs present in the form of prophecy and Biblical discernment to it. What the Lord puts forth remains to be seen, what is received by me or any other Christian, the same. I'm not choosing sides, I'm taking heed in compassion to all of them.

2009/3/10 14:53

Re:

"If we store up goods then we have a problem." Robert W

I disagree. The storing up of goods in selfishness is a problem... yes. But if I store up to give away to others in time of famine and need, then this can glorify God. If I feel led to store up then that is what I must do. God provides now which I'm thankful for and I trust that He will always provide. But I'm not going to tempt God by waiving off current provision for 'future faith'. If I'm drowning in the ocean and ask God to save me, then tell the fishing boat He sent my way to "just go ahead, I'm waiting on God", I could have just missed His answer to prayer and an opportunity to witness His provision for me. Who knows, they may say that a mysterious wind knocked them off course in my direction. So we must be careful in our absolutes.

As a Christian if you store up, I believe you store up to give it all away, for the Glory of God and not shut off anything to anyone (as rightly eluded to by you). If there was a stipulation somewhere that said we were to hoard the provision for ourselves then I missed it. That's not why I show up to work everyday. If you're not willing to give it all up, then there's no reason to store it in the first place. The storing isn't the problem, it's our attitude to what we have in Christ. No provision is ours whether stored up, consumed instantly, or given away. God won't just test our faith but our heart. Faith isn't just about God's provision in times of trouble but a heart of giving when supply is limited.

2009/3/10 15:22
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I disagree. The storing up of goods in selfishness is a problem... yes. But if I store up to give away to others in time of famine and need, then this can glorify God.

My main point is focused on personal survival. If individuals store up goods for 'personal' survival they have 2 problems.

1. Hoarding those good for personal survival
2. [i]Protecting[/i] those goods from robbers.

During the First Jewish revolt the people became so desperate that the Zealots would break into homes threatening and beating people until they told them where their hidden food was. They would snatch the food from the throats of those as they rushed into the homes before the people could swallow. Horrific accounts abound of these things. A mother that said to her infant child, "Be food for me" and then cooked and ate her own offspring. Again the Zealots smelled the 'food' cooking and came running- only to be grossed out utterly when they opened the pan.

In times of starvation and survival man stoops to the lowest of lows. There is an account of settlers crossing through Nevada getting caught in a snow storm and a woman ate the tongue and heart of her own husband. This is what starvation does to some people. If we go into a mass famine it will be a warzone in the streets. Looters will be desperate and if history repeats itself those with goods will be the first targets. You would be safer with 1000 tons of Gold in your possession that 1000 tons of food.

2009/3/10 16:08Profile

Re:

This same debate is going on everywhere now - "To store up or not to store up".

Only the leading of The Holy Spirit can answer that for each individually - and this topic of storing-up has been going on since Long before David Wilkerson's blog/email.

Quote:
. And he told Elijah, “If you’ll go to her and do what I tell you, you’ll survive. Listen to me—heed my direction—and you’ll make it through!”

From what I've heard and read for the last few years about National Emergencies - there is a chance that Martial Law will be called and folks removed from their homes.

ONLY GOD KNOWS - and John 16:13 was written for each & all of us, individually.

2009/3/10 16:40

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy