SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sexual Purity - I hate my flesh

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
moose34

Sexual Purity - I hate my flesh

I have done good for sooo long and then recently I have compromised with my eyes and my thoughts.And also my flesh I want to make an oath to God should I do that.

2009/1/28 7:47Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Sexual Purity - I hate my flesh

All an oath means is that you're determined to [i]try harder[/i] to not sin. This is a common mistake lots of believers make after they yield to temptation and are distraught. I will share with you something very unpopular here: If you make an oath to God, God will see to it that you break it. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

As long as you're making oaths to Him, you're expressing that you're be able to keep from sin by your own strength. It's a clever trap that your flesh will play on you. From the moment of your salvation, God's aim has been to divorce you from the idea that you can walk in a way pleasing to Him by your own efforts. The way He teaches you grace is by allowing failure after failure to crush any attempt at living righteously that might begin in the flesh.

True Christianity is wrought by living your life [i]from the inside out[/i] of Christ. Anything more than this can be achieved by willpower, and I've found that human willpower is not accepted by God. Instead, we must learn what it means to "walk in the Spirit" whereby the deeds of the flesh are mortifed. Now, if you could make an oath to God and keep it...imagine what a boast you could make! Tragically, many preachers make this very boast before the unconverted and spiritually downtrodden, and this does more to frustrate things than anything else.

2009/1/28 8:36Profile
moose34

Re:

it's so true. All I've been doing is failing and then trying harder! And then I would feel proud and even said in my heart " Well I won't talk to those "weaker " brothers that cannot control themselves, because I am sooo strong now ! Judging others. What should I do about my oath I don't want the Lord to punish me.

2009/1/28 9:03Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

It's a blessed thing when a believer comes to the realization you've come to. All of the broken oaths, the defeats, the failures, the "letting God down"...all of these things God will use to work for your good, to teach you grace and the power of the blood.

There is no condemnation, dear friend. Two laws are at play within you: the law of sin and the law of grace. The latter is used to transcend the former, and God by the Spirit will teach you these divine physics in time...but not before you confess your utter incapability to do anything for him but fail. Christ must finally take the centralized position in the nucleus of your spirit. This position is wrought by Him allowing us to fail repeatedly - sometimes hundreds of times before we finally surrender and lay down dead. Some of us are pretty thick-headed and die-hards. Notice, I speak from personal experience. The process is painful indeed - yet necessary.

So, give up trying to please God, resolve to make no more resolutions, give up trying to live a sinless existence by your own power, give up trying to meet the expectations of other holy men who have shared with you their testimonies. Stop listening to legalistic preachers and reading their books and trying to emulate their lifestyles. The secret to victory is in giving up like Jonah and allowing yourself to be tossed overboard - to just sink down, down, down into the dark depths where God has a sancuary waiting to receive you. [i]The reason you keep failing is because you're too strong[/i]. You need to become zero-level weak; God will then take the controls from your surrendered, resting hands and replace your efforts with His strong, wonder-working power that passes all understanding.

Brother Paul

2009/1/28 9:16Profile
moose34

Re:

thanks bro !! God has been good to me, and I feel bad when I fail him. I also think me judging others was something bad too. I think that they don't care about God. My heart hurts. I wish I was baptized in the holy spirit.

2009/1/28 9:27Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Some scriptures to look at. These have helped me in the battle with sin.

Philippians 2:12-13

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Notice it is by the power of God that you will work out your salvation

Jude verse 24

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

Ezekiel 36:26-27 (I love this one because it is a promise to those who have been regenerated it tells us of what the Holy spirit will do inside us)

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

Notice the Holy Spirit empowers us to keep his word and overcome. This is amazing to me. Brother Paul is right if we keep fighting the flesh with will power and Law we only come under the harsh task master of failure. Look to Jesus and his merits alone to empower you causing you to overcome the flesh it is by the spirit that mortification is made effective.

By no means am I saying you will be a robot or a mere automation but the holy spirit will empower by his grace to do what you could not do. and you will give him glory alone knowing that it was by his power alone not your efforts that victory came.

Psalms 110:3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power

He will give you his grace that free unmerited gift to cause you to over come sin Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

2009/1/28 9:27Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Also remember my dear brother God is at work and he started this wonderful work inside of you and is determined to finish it in you causing you to be conformed to the image of his son. Check this out

Philippians 1:6
being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ

2009/1/28 9:30Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Dear Brother,

You are getting some very good council from our brothers. The victory that you desire will not come from you trying harder or making stronger resolutions, because it is not through our will power that we overcome. The victory comes by seeing and believing that our old man (sin nature) has already been dealt with at the cross. WE have been given a new nature, and the life of Christ that is in you will overcome everything that is in oppostion to it.

"The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2).

"Sin shall not have dominion over you." (Romans 6:14).

"Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16).

"Present your bodies unto God as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable, which is your reasonable service." (Romans 12:1).

2009/1/28 11:00Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

also know that you are not alone. many men struggle with this. i appreciate what paul has had to say regarding this and feel that he has given great council.

i agree with what paul has said and feel that the best thing we can do is stop trying. allow God to work in your heart. i don't think that is a free ticket to continue sinning (not saying brother paul is advocating this) just like what the Apostle Paul talked about in Romans. just because the grace of God will cover our sins is not permission to continue to walk in sin.

i would also say something practical you can do is eliminate sources of temptation. i personally do not have an internet connection anywhere in my house. the only place i can access the internet is on a wifi network or at work. if you need to have the internet at your home (for work, etc) purchase a filter for your computer.

i would also encourage you to consider your television set. i have realized more and more how much temptation comes from this, even if my intentions are sincere and pure. i might be watching the history channel and a sensual commercial may come on. this is not to be legalistic, but i would say it is something to consider. allow God to convict you of this.

these are just some suggestions of things i've done. personally, i'm married and marriage does not cure this struggle. this is something you need to give to God and allow him to change your heart. the greater He becomes, the less you will be.

2009/1/28 13:34Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

You are not alone. We need each other to battle for purity.

If any of us is righteous, it is because Christ IS our righteousness and intercessor before the father. He didn't come to condemn us but to save us! He died for us while we were still sinners, how much more will he help us now that he has washed us in his own blood!

I challenge us all to cut off any impure influences which are making us stumble (filter/block internet, get rid of cable/magazines, avoid tempting locations, etc), but realize that these sacrifices don't make us righteous. An alcoholic under grace doesn't need booze in the fridge and we don't need lust provoking objects/environments.

Ultimately, and I'm on this quest as well, we must abandon hope in our willpower and moralism. Pagans can be moralistic and still be unsaved. We don't need good behavior - we need a Savior! Jesus is our righteousness, self control and joy. May we die (give up) on our own deeds and find relief in the arms of God.

Relieve us Lord!

Edit: Read this: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27189&forum=34&0]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27189&forum=34&0[/url]

2009/1/28 13:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy