SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What has Father revealed to you in this situation???????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
wind_blows

What has Father revealed to you in this situation???????

I have a question regarding something that happened today. I was on my way to the local store and in the parking lot there was a man asking for change. I felt panicked and uncomfortable for two reasons. The first reason was that as a woman I was really uncomfortable having a man come up to me alone. The second reason was I just really did not know how to handle the situation. I told him that I did not have any change because I honestly didn't.(I don't carry cash, I am more comfortable just using my debt.) He was polite and said he was sorry to bother me and walked away. I felt really bad for him because it was snowing and really cold out, the wind was blowing a bit. This is the first time this has happened to me at this particular store. I guess my question is how do some of you handle this type of situation? If I had some others with me I would have asked him if he needed food and offered to buy him some grocery, but being alone I was not comfortable doing that. I really try not to go to many places on my own because I do not feel that it is safe in this day and age for women to be out on their own, unprotected. I know in this economy times are so hard that people need help but its hard to know which ones really need the help and which ones just want to use the money to continue to feed habits??? Not sure what the answer is just know that it left me feeling sad.

2009/1/26 19:44Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: What has Father revealed to you in this situation???????

How can you respond to a need if you don't first
try to determine what the need is?? Yes, you
might have offered to buy him some food or maybe
a hat or gloves for the cold; but you found it
easier to walk away "feeling sad."

2009/1/26 21:19Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Wow! That was really harsh, and may I say not called for. I totally did not find it easier to walk away feeling just sad. I have been praying for the man since this happened. I said I did not know what to do because for one I was alone. And I also admitted to not knowing how to handle this situation. Honestly I was looking for some guidance in this kind of situation from older more mature Christians when I posted that was my intention. I also stated that because I was alone and he was a man I was uncomfortable. Having had three women recently kidnapped and raped in my area does make one think twice about these kinds of situations. I guess as a young Christian that this is not the best place to come for help or guidance with daily seeking to walk with Jesus???

2009/1/26 21:43Profile
NoWhining

East Texas

Re:

I'm new here and know none of you, so please forgive any of my views if they're contrary to yours.

First, as a woman, you must be more careful in your surroundings. You're an easy target. It would have been bordering on foolishness to start digging in your purse or billfold in front of this man. Be smart.

It sounds like the guy wasn't a threat, and he realized he startled you. You were caught off guard and turned him away, not out of selfishness, but inexperience. Being more experienced now, next time have a couple bucks and a tract in your coat pocket ready should the need arise again. God's blessings to you.

2009/1/26 21:46Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I think it is a matter of just being sensitive to God. i have worked extensively in homeless ministry and food programs and can say for sure that not all perceived needs are genuine needs. in fact, most probably are [u]not[/u].

As a woman you do need to be careful. Even men have to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But the reality is we just need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and be willing if He should press upon us to do something- to do it. We need to know it is God in these types of situations. In other more 'safe' cases we might could help without fear. Just pray and ask God to help you in the future and don't allow the devil to beat you down over it all.

2009/1/26 21:56Profile
NoWhining

East Texas

Re:

Wind Blows, I see I posted about the same time you did. Please don't take my post as critical. It wasn't meant to be.

2009/1/26 21:59Profile
rbanks

Re:

Wind_Blows,

Dear Lady don't beat yourself up and condemn yourself because of this incident. God knows your heart. I have a wonder wife and a 22 year old daughter that I have told not to be in a parking lot alone. You did the right thing because you being a woman should never make yourself vulnerable to a strange man. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Pray this thing through to God. There have been a lot of women hurt by so called nice men.

This man could have easily asked more specifically up in front of the store area instead of in the parking lot where you were alone. I would have expected my daughter to walk away from him. I have told her not to stay still in a parking lot by herself.

Blessings to you!

2009/1/26 22:55Profile
graceamazed

Tennessee

Re:

Quote:

sojourner7 wrote:
How can you respond to a need if you don't first
try to determine what the need is?? Yes, you
might have offered to buy him some food or maybe
a hat or gloves for the cold; but you found it
easier to walk away "feeling sad."

I hope your intentions are misrepresented in your post, if not, it sounds like you have no problem dishing out off-the-cuff criticisms of those it appears the Spirit is working in. I trust you posted that after having given the coat off your back to some homeless person earlier in the day...

wind_blows,
I often think of the situation of Peter and John at the gate Beautiful in the book of Acts. They are confronted with a begger asking for what he thought he needed. Yet, their response to Him was, "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."

God knew how you would respond when confronted with this situation and I believe He allowed this encounter to take place so that you might walk away asking this very question, "what should I have done?" This question and your process of wrestling with it and of seeking God is going to be more valuable than the ten dollars you might have given this man. This might have been a primer situation to mature you and prepare you for future encounters or situations. But let me encourage you, people don't always know what they need, so be ready in season and out of season for how the Lord might use you to affect those around you.

2009/1/26 23:05Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re:

As we grow in the Lord and are led by the spirit, we will know how to handle situations.
Once while going on a trip I was sitting outside of McDonalds eating a hamburger and I saw this guy going through the garbage looking in bags for food that someone may have thrown away in the bags...
God told me to buy him what he needed.
I got out of the car and told him he didnt need to do that and I took him inside and let him order anything he wanted.
After he ordered and got his food we sat down together and talked, I found out he was trying to get back home and had run out of money,,,I gave him some cash and blessed him...
this has happened to me on several occasions, and each time this happens I feel the spirit of God giving me instructions as to what to do.
In a situation when your approached and your not hearing from God, and your uncomfortable or uneasy, you could be being led to stay away from that person, there may be a potential danger present for you.
dont worry, as you grow in the Lord and Pray, you will walk more in it and know what to do when the time arises for you to do something for HIM.
God bless.

2009/1/27 0:32Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, iwill not speak of my many blessings because of giving but of a dear friend. my anon pal has always given wildly and as God prospered him hewould give even more.as he approachedmillionaire statis he gave like a billionaire.as katrina approached la. he had 50 houses in its direct path...slidel la. to covington la...he and his son prayed th whole night before the storm...when the area was opened to inspect no damage at all...not 1 dollars worth... he went to see how his plane made out....hanger 200 feet away hanger door 500 feet...plane as moored.he who giveth to the poor lends to God. it is not our job to worry how its used... give hillareously.jimp

2009/1/27 6:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy