SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Word "Preach" in the Scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Word "Preach" in the Scriptures

In the Scriptures of God the word "Preach" is used. What is the actual biblical definition of the word? And its result in practical spiritual experience.

2004/7/31 1:41Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: The Word "Preach" in the Scriptures

Preaching
(The act of exhorting, prophesying, reproving, teaching)
Solomon called "the preacher" (Koheleth)

Ecc 1:1- The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

H6953
קהלת
qôheleth
ko-heh'-leth
Feminine of active participle from H6950; a assembler (that is, lecturer); abstractly preaching (used as a ‘nom de plume’, Koheleth): - preacher.

G2784
κηρύσσω
kērussō
Thayer Definition:
1) to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
1a) to proclaim after the manner of a herald
1b) always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed
2) to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done
3) used of the public proclamation of the gospel and matters pertaining to it, made by John the Baptist, by Jesus, by the apostles and other Christian teachers

Well, God uses the foolishness of preaching to bring people to salvation. Preaching is in itself a spectacle, enough that angels look into it because the very act that leads men to repentance and brings salvation causes applause among the angels. We need to stop trying to impress men with our vocabualry and dead letter, but instead impact heaven with shouts of applause and depopulate hell. The Apostle Paul knew his life was a spectacle to the whole world. And I think his preaching was a spectacle. He would come in weakness and in trembling, and then strike and lash them with the power of God and eternity filled messages. They say Paul was a dwarf in stature, but He was a giant in the Spirit. When Jesus would preach to the crowds it says they were 'astonished,' in the greek it means to be 'struck.' Unlike the sadducees, scribes, and pharisees who preached with no authority, Jesus preached with full authority. The key things is God granted authority like Jesus and Paul, and have people struck by the power of God. People are no longer struck, they are tickled. We need to get rid of this pathetic preaching and get back to prophetic preaching.

2004/7/31 3:28Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Does preaching of the foolishness of God, the Cross – 1Cor 1:18 - equal foolish preaching and folly in the pulpit?

2004/7/31 3:50Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
When Jesus would preach to the crowds it says they were 'astonished,' in the greek it means to be 'struck.'

Thats some great information in your post brother Giancarlo! The reason why I put out the question was I heard a sermon explaining that the word 'preach' in the bible is to proclaim outloud as in street preaching, and that it is with the foolishness of this shouting aloud the scriptures and precepts of God that people will be saved. Not with the signs or miricales in evangelism or with the fine sounding wisdom of this world but with the heralding of the foolish message of Jesus Christ raised from the dead. I am just having abit of a hard time with this and praying it over.

Quote:
Does preaching of the foolishness of God, the Cross – 1Cor 1:18 - equal foolish preaching and folly in the pulpit?

I would have to agree brother Lars. Foolishness in the pulpit could be a lost practice. But Paul does say that we speak of a wisdom not of this world so there is a godly wisdom to be given to the saints of God, but this wisdom does not apply to the preaching of the gospel, the foolish message to the unsaved.

EDIT: I did not read your statement aright Lars.. no folly in the pulpit, unprepared, unburdened preaching, preaching from the mind, and other sorts of carnal ill equiped messages given to people is no the foolishness of the gospel. There needs to be unction and power accompained with the simple good news of the message of Jesus Christ risen from the dead. As paul said the kingdom of God is not with words but with power.

2004/7/31 14:35Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

In response to lwpray: No, the disobedience, arrogance, and greed of evil shepherds is surely going to be punished. (This is what I've learned from Isaiah's book in particular, and also from New Testament warnings against false teachers.)

2004/7/31 14:36Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

A matter of definition immediately occurs when entering into a dialogue of this kind.
The word foolishness may perhaps be replaced by the word simplicity.
The terms folly and stupidity, of which none may be found in a pulpit, points in the opposite direction of veracity and humility – two things which must follow any simple testimony.
The lowly and simple man is often able to carry much more veracity and fidelity to what Heaven implies, both in spirit and in words. This kind of testimony is certainly outright folly in the face of the learned and worldly man, but it never uses stupidity and non-truth as a tool to find a way to man’s heart. To do so would contradict and compromise the message, which is to reflect Him who is the way, the truth and the life.

2004/7/31 14:57Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

I am sorry,
I do not understand this comment by Rocklife:
In response to lwpray: No, the disobedience, arrogance, and greed of evil shepherds is surely going to be punished. (This is what I've learned from Isaiah's book in particular, and also from New Testament warnings against false teachers.)

Well, I did after considering it once again.
Sorry, stupidity affects all of us in one way or the other. ;-)

2004/7/31 14:58Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The lowly and simple man is often able to carry much more veracity and fidelity to what Heaven implies, both in spirit and in words. This kind of testimony is certainly outright folly in the face of the learned and worldly man, but it never uses stupidity and non-truth as a tool to find a way to man’s heart.

Immediately my mind is directed towards the testimony of the illerate preacher from America D.L. Moody who came to england to preach among the elitest of the Christian world and appeared to preach in such simple terms that it was considered a laughing stock to many, but given some time the most divine saintly teachers across england stood at the feet of this man amazed with the power behind his preaching and the immediate results upon peoples hearts.

2004/7/31 15:08Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

We also need to state that there are men who have been able to combine intellectual excellence with humility and great warmth of heart and spirit in their pursuit of God.

2004/7/31 15:14Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Preaching Foolishness

Hi all,

Maybe I'm missing something but Paul said in my NIV:
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of [i][b]what was preached[/b][/i] to save those who believe...1Cor 1:21

I don't read him saying that preaching in itself is foolish?!

2004/7/31 16:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy