SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

Reading through Matthew, in chapter 12:30-32. Knowing the popular view of rejecting the truth of the gospel, hence rejecting Christ. Having a hard time seeing that interpretation. When i look up blasphemy in the Greek I see, reviling, speaking evil against. Where do and how do they get rejecting the Holy Spirit.

As I read on in the next couple of verses it talk about our words and how everything we say will be judged.

I see this text as a warning not to suppose our "beliefs" of what we think the Holy Spirit would do in a situation. I am not saying though that everything goes and is out of order...we know the Holy Spirit is orderly and respectful. But just because I may not think this is what the Holy Spirit would do, doesn't mean He wouldn't and if I speak against this then I am speaking against the Holy Spirit? :-(

Blessings
Mike

2008/10/24 6:56
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

In verse 24 of the same Chapter, the Pharisees say it is by the power of the evil one that Jesus can do these things.
In light of this, Jesus' response and what you have just written ("a warning no to suppose our 'beliefs' of what we think...") could we conclude that the Charismatic movement, even many other denonminations are guilty of blaspheming the Holy Spirit?
Is there any contention with that by anyone here?

Perhaps the lakeland thing stemmed from the many years of abuse and a mishandling of the Word of God. We have carried the Word on a donkey cart and have not handled it according to the direction given.
Thus, we have many 'in the church buildings' that are unconverted leading the converted boasting in 'the holy Spirit,' saying, "this is what the Holy Spirit is doing."

But, this may be beating a dead horse as there has been many discussions on this topic.

What can we do?

As Paul Washer said in his 10 indictment sermon, "Lord throw me out there, just do with me what ever you want to."

2008/10/24 7:31Profile

Quote:
But just because I may not think this is what the Holy Spirit would do, doesn't mean He wouldn't and if I speak against this then I am speaking against the Holy Spirit?

Thats the way I understand it. Obviously blasphemey would be cursing God, speaking evil against Him. We all know this.

But I also understand blasphemey to be attributing something of God to be something of Satan, or vice versa.

For example.... music. I dont want to get into a debate about the Christian music industry, thats not my point. However I do cringe whenever I hear someone categorically condemn all modern Christian music as of the devil. Why? Because I personally know many people who have either come to the Lord, or been greatly encouraged in the Lord, thru Christian music. Was it the music itself? No, it was the Word of God being spoken thru that music.

Yet many will say "any kind of Christian music with a beat or minor chords is of the devil! God can not reach the lost through it!" ... and I say you better be careful. I've seen God change lives thru His Word being ministered thru, yes... Christian rock.

Again... for the cherry pickers... this is not a blanket approval of all Christian music. There are certainly many things that are not as they should be in that industry... but God is bigger than all of that.

But to me this is a great example of something that can be attributed to God... and well meaning Christians many times condemn it because they cant understand how God could minister to hearts thru it... so they call it "satanic".

I think thats very thin ice. And close to blasphemey.

Krispy

2008/10/24 7:35
menderofnets

South Yorkshire, UK

Perhaps quite an amount of problems lying within the Church today is caused by our attitude of God. We so easily say this or that is of God in all matters, be they denominational, moral, political, scientific et al. But where does our human thinking end and we become the judge on matters? Blasphemy against the Spirit is so awful because it is to attribute something to Him that is against His nature, not by mistake but by intention. Where we exalt God in our own lives in true worship, we run less of a risk both as individuals and as members together of the Body of usurping Christ's throne and appointing ourselves as judge.

That this is what Jesus Himself said is unforgivable should give us just cause for concern and examination of ourselves in sober judgement.

2008/10/24 8:14Profile

Re:

menderofnets... good post.

Krispy

2008/10/24 8:30

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:
But just because I may not think this is what the Holy Spirit would do, doesn't mean He wouldn't and if I speak against this then I am speaking against the Holy Spirit?

Thats the way I understand it. Obviously blasphemey would be cursing God, speaking evil against Him. We all know this.

But I also understand blasphemey to be attributing something of God to be something of Satan, or vice versa.

For example.... music. I dont want to get into a debate about the Christian music industry, thats not my point. However I do cringe whenever I hear someone categorically condemn all modern Christian music as of the devil. Why? Because I personally know many people who have either come to the Lord, or been greatly encouraged in the Lord, thru Christian music. Was it the music itself? No, it was the Word of God being spoken thru that music.

Yet many will say "any kind of Christian music with a beat or minor chords is of the devil! God can not reach the lost through it!" ... and I say you better be careful. I've seen God change lives thru His Word being ministered thru, yes... Christian rock.

Again... for the cherry pickers... this is not a blanket approval of all Christian music. There are certainly many things that are not as they should be in that industry... but God is bigger than all of that.

But to me this is a great example of something that can be attributed to God... and well meaning Christians many times condemn it because they cant understand how God could minister to hearts thru it... so they call it "satanic".

I think thats very thin ice. And close to blasphemey.

Krispy

Krispy I am glad that you responded on this thread.I had you in mind when I was thinking about this. I made a comment previously on another thread...in my zeal and ignorance I spouted things that I disagreed with you on. As I have been going through Matthew in this chapter I thought of what I said and felt convicted over this verse. I learned that I must be slow to speak and give more heed to thoughts before I rant. I don't know the mind of God and shouldn't think I do! I truly feel remorse and felt chasten by the Lord from this text.

I am sorry for speaking to harsh and trying to show boat...sorry brother forgive me!

Mike

2008/10/24 10:10

Re:

Quote:
Krispy I am glad that you responded on this thread.I had you in mind when I was thinking about this. I made a comment previously on another thread...in my zeal and ignorance I spouted things that I disagreed with you on. As I have been going through Matthew in this chapter I thought of what I said and felt convicted over this verse. I learned that I must be slow to speak and give more heed to thoughts before I rant. I don't know the mind of God and shouldn't think I do! I truly feel remorse and felt chasten by the Lord from this text.

I am sorry for speaking to harsh and trying to show boat...sorry brother forgive me!

Mike

Mike, my brother... I am most humbled by your post. You and I have a lot in common, and I too have had to come back here with my hat in my hand at times. I cant tell you how many times I let my passions get the best of me and I say things I later regret.

We should strive to bring each other along like wounded soldiers on the battlefield. I'm limping along on a crutch... you're arm is in a sling... but together we can help each other get to the medic (Jesus).

Love ya brother... and I forgave you before you ever wrote your post. I ask that you forgive me as well.

Krispy

2008/10/24 10:32
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Here is a sound message by A.W. Tozer on the subject. Enjoy

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2455&commentView=itemComments

2008/10/24 11:56Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

menderofnets - good post!

2008/10/24 13:19Profile

Re:

Quote:

Fuegodedios wrote:
Here is a sound message by A.W. Tozer on the subject. Enjoy

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2455&commentView=itemComments

Great sermon....thanks! A keeper for me to listen to again! Thanks Brother

:-)

2008/10/24 21:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy