SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : You Can Memorize the New Testament in 5 years

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
There is a common misapprehension in the church that knowing large portions of Scripture "by heart" is surely beneficial and constitutes some higher spirituality.

Dude....Please! God gave us a brain; let's use it. I don't know how it is in Bulgaria, but here in America, as a whole, we have stopped using our brains. So, if someone wants to challenge themselves and memorize scripture then I applaud them.

2008/10/12 8:36

Re:

notme, kingjimmy and any others. I saw this thread start on a simple non essential issue. I thought ah excellent, who can argue this.
Then a couple of "balancing"? posts enter to keep us from pride and focus on what really matters? I see your points but maybe they are not really needed.

The primary goal in SI is revival. However I see again how debate rises on simple non essential issues "straining at the gnats" as I see it.

Bottom line, good grief let people enjoy having some success in memorising Gods word.

2008/10/12 9:08
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: on the contrary

Hi everyone,

Dear Slavyan,

"Thus, to learn or memorize God's word is not enough. We must also keep it in a pure and sincere heart."

Maybe you should consider your own admonition here?

I think there is a form of religous hatred that looks for or sees what is false under every rock.

Chris

2008/10/12 9:49Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The primary goal in SI is revival. However I see again how debate rises on simple non essential issues "straining at the gnats" as I see it.

While there may be many who are contentious on SI, I don't think any of the comments thus far have been offered in that spirit. SI's goal is to seek and to promote genuine Biblical revival, and the practices that lead to and issue from revival. It's an on-line community where from time to time there is some abrasiveness due to contrary opinions coming from precious saints at different levels of maturity. This should be something that is welcomed, even on seemingly trivial matters.

I applaud anybody who attempts to memorize the Scriptures. Indeed, failure to memorize any Scripture would be something that would be of grave concern. I for one have, at times, committed to memorizing large portions, and once, even an entire chapter of Scripture.

Personally speaking, I have received greater edification and long lasting results having simply slowly read over a passage many times and simply meditated upon it, attempting to grasp the "spirit" of the passage I was reading. Indeed, to this day I could tell you more about the argument and flow of Romans 1-11 than I could tell you about any other lengthy passages of Scripture I have memorized. Why? Because I have effectively chewed through Romans 1-11, and digested more of it, than say, James 1, which I have committed to memory.

5 years is a long time to commit to trying to memorize all of the NT. I think, perhaps, one would be better at first mastering the contents of the NT before committing it entirely to memory. Yes, one should memorize small verses and passages here and there while doing such. But, I think memorizing large chunks of Scripture would be beneficial more-so to those who are already sufficiently mature in the faith, than those who still are drinking the milk of the word.

2008/10/12 14:57Profile

Re:

Not saying contentious. Let's all press on in liberty and freedom in Christ!

2008/10/12 15:07
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

I've memorised the first 8 chapters of Romans and I can say my understanding has definitely increased. Once you've committed large portions to memory you suddenly pick up parallels through scriptures.

I think benefits of memorisation come afterwards. It is then that your heart can start cross-referencing passages instead of using the columns in your bible ;-)

2008/10/12 20:18Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

I've memorised the first 8 chapters of Romans and I can say my understanding has definitely increased. Once you've committed large portions to memory you suddenly pick up parallels through scriptures.

I think benefits of memorisation come afterwards. It is then that your heart can start cross-referencing passages instead of using the columns in your bible ;-)

Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

repentcanada

Re:

there are two excellent ideas from the NT memorization plan:

1) the plan which includes reading the NT once a month

2) by memorizing 4-6 verses a day from NT you can memorize it in 5 years. well even by just memorizing 2 verses per day, in 15 years that is the whole NT committed to memory. that is outstanding

2008/10/13 3:09Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just a practical consideration: Memorizing 6 verses a day will take at least 1 hour of your time in the beginning, and compound when you factor in review of previous material. I remember when I was memorizing James 1, I was up to 2-3 hours a day reviewing previously memorized verses and learning my new verses. This is not counting personal devotional time either.

Once again, not trying to discourage anybody who feels inclined to memorize the Scriptures... just trying to share with you the costs of doing such. I'd like to memorize more myself... but working 60 hours a week makes it hard to do.

2008/10/13 8:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy