SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
is "oh my goodness" bad.. thats what i say

That is what I finally ended up with, but it took me awhile to get there. It is difficult to "unlearn" things that are deeply ingrained.

2008/9/24 0:10Profile
Watered

Re:

SPONGEBOB ALL THE WAY ....man i am 17 year old guy and i still have spongebob beadsheets....talk about manhood.....

i'm so sorry i said that, just said it for fun.

Thanks much

2008/9/24 0:12Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
That is what I finally ended up with, but it took me awhile to get there. It is difficult to "unlearn" things that are deeply ingrained.

Had to come back and make a mention that this is not totally lost on me either. I have been bothered by these same eumphemisms and strangely of late. They slip out and I quietly repent of them --- You could drive yourself to distraction over all this I suppose but the "Geez" that creeps out ... I know what it means though I may never had the thought of it. But you are right, you can unlearn these things ... For crying out loud (another replacement) ;-)

2008/9/24 0:22Profile
BVO

ohio

Re:

I always heard it called christian cussing. It is the way people found to express themselves the way they "used to" without blatantly cussing. There is a great long list of them. I bought a couple of slang and euphemism books a couple of years ago to prove that I wasn't the only one with this thought. It started with gee whiz and now I hear "that Frickin S**ks" in the youth groups. Hey it's only words, right? As far as God's name that really is the issue. I have been praying that we would once again reverence the great name of our God. One thing that really grieves me is when christians go around saying "oh gawd" It doesn't dawn on them what they are saying or doing because it has become to acceptable to lightly esteem His wonderful name. Many of the golden years of television were committed to desensitizing christians. I know that it isn't a perfect use of the scripture, but I think that your yes should be yes and your no, no. In application, I am always telling my daughter (15) maybe there is nothing really wrong with a certain word, but always strive to use the "best" words. I grew up with a Roget's Thesaurus and was always told that we have so many words that mean almost the same thing. Mean what you say and say what you mean. I don't think it has to be legalistic to strive to be our best is treating His great name with the value He Himself placed on it.

2008/9/24 0:51Profile
jsisrl

Re: gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
gosh [euphemism for God] (1757)
used as a mild oath or to express surprise.

golly [euphemism for God] (1775)
used as a mild oath or to express surprise.

jeez [euphemism for Jesus] (ca 1900)
used as a mild oath.

jeepers [euphemism for Jesus]
jeepers creepers [euphemism for Jesus Christ] (1927)
used as a mild oath.

EDIT:

gee2 [euphemism for Jesus] (1895)
used as an introductory expletive or to express surprise or enthusiasm
gee whiz interj (1885): GEE

Source: Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

It then sounds like they were speaking curses on themselves while saying those things. It also sounds like they were murmuring and complaining. Which Biblically means, to stop overnight for a time of darkness. Joyce Green (director at our church - wife of Milton Green) use to teach on this in her teaching tapes.

2008/9/24 1:36Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Hello Mike,

Quote:
I would think if we had Leave it to Beaver displacing tonights TV lineup that we had just entered the third Great Awakening.

I know that "Leave it to Beaver" appears to be harmless, but often it is the things that appear to be good that turn out to be the most lethal - for you do not realize that you are being poisoned.

Cult TV - A Viewer Guide to the Shows American can't Live Without
(see page 1 of this thread)
Quote:
It seemed similar to other 50 sitcoms, but Beaver had an important difference. In this show, TV looked at children as complete human beings, with their own needs, and personalities, independent of their parent’.

This is teaching us to function independent of our Father - that we are important, in and of ourselves. How can children that grew up with this as their example expect to understand that we need to turn to our Father, and that only in Him are we complete?

Quote:
Father didn’t always know best on Beaver; though Ward’s advice to this boys sounded wise, it often went awry. But the boys took this in stride, and he remained their number one adviser.

Does this not sound like the church in America today? The way that God is viewed? Do we not say "Lord show us the way" and then go about doing whatever it is that we want to do - kind of being obedient, or at least trying to appear that we are - with God sort of as a figure head without any real authority?

Quote:
Mayfield was neat, self enclosed society where people where naturally nice (not counting Eddie) and problems were never too painful - the kind of America we believed in at Beaver’s age and still dream about.

This is not reality. Any child growing up with this illusion is going to have trouble with the precepts of our Lord. The world is not neat and tidy and never will be - only in heaven will we find this utopia. If we strive to find it for ourselves here on earth we are looking in the wrong place. There is heaven here on earth, but it can only be found in our Lord Jesus Christ, and only insomuch as we have our eyes upon Him.

Self enclosed societies breed fear, and fear brings forth hatred. This I have seen for myself. Our God is a God of diversity - there must be opposites or nothing happens. Without opposing action things wither and die.

In closing, I would like to say that if our relationship with our Lord is as it should be, we would have no interest in these things - for life in Him is rich and abounding. In Him there is no desire for diversion. Oh how I pray that we could all find our joy in Him.

2008/9/24 1:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
It seemed similar to other 50 sitcoms, but Beaver had an important difference. In this show, TV looked at children as complete human beings, with their own needs, and personalities, independent of their parent’.

That is the reviewers opinion - Did you ever watch the show? Whatever the case may be, we are a long, long way from all this. If this was all we had to squabble over, it would be a rejoicing.

Quote:
[i]Mayfield was neat, self enclosed society where people where naturally nice (not counting Eddie) and problems were never too painful - the kind of America we believed in at Beaver’s age and still dream about.[/i]

Quote:
This is not reality.

Not any longer it isn't ... But believe it or not even with all the problems that era had and no era is is without it's conundrums ... This was not far from the truth. Remember art imitates life? There was at least a great deal more ... innocence if I dare to use the word, simplicity - Honesty - Character - Morals - Integrity - Whoever it is that wrote this seems to be more cynical than anything, again compare it to where we are now ...

Could but wish Ward was running for President, even Eddie Haskel, at least he had the fortitude to come clean when he got busted ...

2008/9/24 9:12Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Hi Mike,

No, I did not watch the show very much. Blessedly I have never been attracted to television to a large degree and a couple of years ago I became so disgusted with it that I quit watching it all together. And now, after seeing how it influences the way we think (or don't think) I avoid it like the plague.

The quotes are from here:

http://www.leaveittobeaver.org/magazine_articles/mag_culttv.htm

Quote:
. . . children as complete human beings, with their own needs, and personalities, independent of their parent’.

This is actually the core of all of the problems that we are now experiencing. God's children viewing themselves as complete without Him - having no fear of the Lord - for why should we fear that which we can do without? What has become important is only the things that apply to ourselves - for we view ourselves as being complete in and of ourselves.

I moved back to the Midwest after growing up in the West. At first I found the simplicity - Honesty - Character - Morals - Integrity to be a great relief. But as time passed I began to see that what appeared to be was not necessarily so - that below the surface was a very dark ugly monster. There is so much to say here - let me just suffice it to say that darkness is much easier to deal with when it is not disguised as light.

It is only after we allow God to shine His light upon these things that the truth will be known. We are embracing evil because we see it to be good - forgetting that we are not to trust in things that are seen but only in that which is from above.

If one small line from a television show shows itself in our language to the degree that it has - making itself a constant nuisance even though we would not have it to be - image what else is playing itself out in our every day life, seeking to divide us from a loving God that has shown Himself to be faithful and true.

2008/9/24 12:41Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Heartsong...

Quote:
I know that "Leave it to Beaver" appears to be harmless, but often it is the things that appear to be good that turn out to be the most lethal - for you do not realize that you are being poisoned.

I don't mean to interrupt, because I agree with much of what you say regarding TV shows that subtly teach "the pride of life." But I agree that the times have been "a-changing" since the years following [i]Leave it to Beaver[/i]. If I remember correctly, there were episodes in [i]Beaver[/i] that showed the family attend Church together, respect for parents, respect for teachers, and virtues such as honesty and faithfulness. In fact, I read that the man who played the father on the show (Ward Cleaver) was actually a licensed Methodist minister.

Today's shows are not even close to the morality of [i]Leave it to Beaver[/i]. In fact, today's shows actually MOCK the morality and values found in that show. During one of my undergrad classes, we were shown the relatively recent film [i]Pleasantville[/i], which was a direct afront on shows like [i]Leave it to Beaver[/i] and [i]The Andy Griffith Show[/i]. The film portrayed the "colorization" of society from the wholesome moral portrayals of the 1950s into the rebellious society of the late 1960s. Of course, the film's premise came from an entirely ungodly perspective (almost as if such a move from such moral ideals was a good thing).

Yes, society is dangerous. The sins that were rampant during the days of [i]Leave it to Beaver[/i] are still existant today. I suppose that the danger of [i]Leave it to Beaver[/i] lay in the idea of living life without mention of our need for a constant relationship with God. The difference today, I think, is that the media almost boasts in the change to public displays of immorality. Instead of children being taught about the importance of honesty and kindness, children are taught to accept homosexuality, sexual immorality and rebellion against authority.

It may not have been any easier to be a Christian during the 1950s, but I think that it might have been easier to avoid the media's fascination with sinfulness or their commercial embrace of the idea that "sex sells." I would have preferred living in a society in which the media does not pimp ungodliness into every aspect of children's lives.

:-)

2008/9/24 14:43Profile
HeartSong

Re:

How can it be that we are defending a television show that blasphemes the Name of God?

2008/9/24 20:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy