SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE ANATOMY OF PREACHING

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: THE ANATOMY OF PREACHING

Don't think I can make all these thoughts into a clear and ordered outline. It may not even be neccessary because bottom line, are you as preacher focused on God through Christ Jesus?

Gods Workings: you referred to God's hand at work in the preachers life. This 'working' is obviously different in each and every individual, but how is it constant and consistent?

2008/8/28 14:05Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

PaulWest wrote:

Quote:

Now, I believe the greatest mark to know if you are called by God to enter this level is the fact that you dread the ministry God has called you to; you dread preaching the messages God has called you to preach, you find no joy in this divine position, the pulpit has come to represent a symbol of tears, fear, dread, rejection, character demolition. There is no theological camp you can pitch a tent in, no denomination, the slightest compromise or consideration elicits a definitive jolt by the Spirit, and you pass many nights like Abraham, often in terrible darkness, chasing the buzzards away that would swoop down on the sacrifices you've place on the altar. God introduces you to the smoking furnace of affliction, and the real affliction and persecution you are discovering comes from within. Amidst all this, however, the lamp of God is also present with a soft glow, with the assurance that all you're going through is being carefully monitored.

Wow brother. It hits like a ton of bricks. Thank you.

2008/8/28 14:10Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I think also, in the way you word it brother Paul. I think no human being in their right mind, knowing these things will follow as a result of Gods calling, will willfully want to become a preacher.

So i think the great "mass-produced" preachers we see, that has gone through the machine of modern western Christianity to produce a preacher, they have probably not this understanding. And how many would leave bible school shortly after entering if someone had told them what it will cost them? and what it will require from them? to truly be a preacher who will impart the life into them, to be the vessel that God can use to transfer life. As you say Paul, such a man must be emptied, the less man in the preacher the less that disturbs the flow of life that will go through him.

Now for a man to truly long for the calling of a preacher, the kind of preacher that imparts life. One has to be "mad", seeing him from the "natural" eyes.

In one sense, for me, to be a preacher is the most wonderful awesome calling one could have, seeing through the eternal view. But from the human, and logical view, most crazy and stupid thing.

I think 1 Co chapter 2, should be read ,studied and meditated looooong and hard by all who preach

to see the contrast between Gods power in preaching and mans "wisdom". so much of what goes in the name of preaching today is labeled in that chapter as mans wisdom, this world wisdom.

God will require something from the man who will preach, preach life.

This thread was born from the Art Katz thread, and just yesterday i listened to this message at work, the magna carta of apostolic faith.

And he shares some about how he see every occasion of speaking, preaching as a matter of eternal matter of life or death. One or the other, every word, every time you open your mouth to speak and preach, you kill or make alive.

how much idle words are spoken flippant from the pulpits today?

we need to fear God more,

yet even as this calling for preaching is so "dangerous", still i feel a longing for this.

isent it crazy? to have a longing for this?

[i]For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. [/i]- 1Co 4:9

a longing to be sent on the behalf of God to men.

what a privilege!

christian

2008/8/28 14:47Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Gods Workings: you referred to God's hand at work in the preachers life. This 'working' is obviously different in each and every individual, but how is it constant and consistent?

I don't have time right now to go into great depth, as I am at work, but to answer this question I invite you to consider some of the different men God chooses to be His mouthpiece. You don't even need to look far; you can look right here on SermonIndex. Three men who I believe exemplify the constancy of God's dealings yet preach in an entirely individualistic manner are Art Katz, Keith Daniel, and Zac Poonen. All three, in my estimation, minister from level of God that imparts the divine life which we spoke about in the previous post. They offer no nominal sermons of oratorical prowess, no exacting theology, nothing in the classical sense that leaps out and smacks of sermonizing textbookism. Art Katz is a razor-thin scalpel, going deep into the inner most secret parts of the spirit to bring forth divine truth with an extreme articulation and precision. Keith Daniel thunders Holy Scrpture with an authority unlike any brother I've ever heard, with the life of God flowing from his ministry like a mighty river. Poonen speaks in a conversational tone, never moves from behind the pulpit, totally relaxed, with messages and teachings revealing a supernatural wisdom teamed with a supernatural simplicity. His vocabulary in comparison to Katz's is maybe a third in size, yet both men arrive at the same impartation of divine life; their individualistic waters converge at the same massive, common delta all such men of God meet at - where the transforming power of God, the divine flow of unction galvanizes the inner man of the hearer and effectuates a deep stirring and hunger for more of the pure essence of God. The inexorable steering toward a greater Christ-likeness in every facet of our being.

So we see that God cultivates each preacher in an individualstic manner, and we should further recognize that the Lord adapts our natural dispositions and idiosyncracies and temperament into the mannerisms of how we preach as well. This is primarily why it is not wise to imitate our favorite preachers in the pulpit; we are building something of a contrivance, something unnatural and forced, and God's design is to mold us naturally and individualistically and with a reliance totally upon [i]His[/i] transformational blueprint, and not upon a blueprint He has already seasoned according to the dispositions of another man.

The "constant and consistancy" factor in all His dealings with us is that these transformations and blueprints, though unique and based upon the disposition of each specific vessel, are all brought about by the same common denominator: sufferings and death. Profound affliction, brokeness and self-destruction in the Spirit move the waters toward the delta, it is the current by which the water moves and surges. When a preacher stops being afflicted and stops abasing himself, the waters grow still. Still water - that is, [i]unflowing water[/i] - is stagnate water, and stagnate water soon becomes the breeding ground for pests. In all this, brokeness is the common factor; Spurgeon once remarked that before the kernel can be eaten, the shell must be broken. God's design is to crack the shell of the man, and then after cracking, to remove the pieces one-by-one.

2008/8/28 16:11Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Amen brother Paul. Great insight my friend

2008/8/28 17:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
So we see that God cultivates each preacher in an [b]individualstic manner,[/b] and we should further recognize that the Lord adapts our [b]natural[/b] dispositions and idiosyncracies and temperament into the mannerisms of how we preach as well. This is primarily why it is [b]not wise to imitate[/b] our favorite preachers in the pulpit; we are builing something of a contrivance, something [b]unnatural and forced,[/b] and God's design is to mold us naturally and individualistically and with a reliance totally upon His transformational blueprint, and not upon a blueprint He has already seasoned according to the dispositions of another man.

....or woman! Amen!

..to contentment that is...

2008/8/28 17:36
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Thank you dear friends for all the insight here. My desire is to keep this thread 'alive' and keep the juices flowing in regard to spurring us on to preach in truth and power.

I would like to offer a thought and then pose a question:

This death and brokeness is vital or else the preacher is lowered to tickle ears. And another mentioned the dislike for this calling. I can connect with that. I have been given the opportunity to lead chapel service at a homeless shelter and most often than not I walk away just demolished within because i feel like I have missed it. And prior to standing up to speak there is such uncomfortable feelings, even throughout the week leading up to the chapel service there is such a heaviness to bring truth yet a dull and often complacent mind stultifying(is this the right word?) preparation. So, you can see a struggle, and fight going on.

Question: Can anyone identify with this? And what are your actions while preaching; do you watch for emotional responses, in a constant state of praying in the spirit or other? Do you even watch the faces of the audience?

Am I even steering this discussion in the right way?

2008/8/29 16:51Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

When we as people of God deliver the word we must remember that this is not a word directed towards flesh and blood. Matter of fact if we focus on the flesh and blood (the physical)we could be sitting ourselves up to drop right into the enemies hands of depending on emotionalism,Gimmicks, and sliver tougue oration to win the lost and relay the truth instead of the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that his words are spirit and life (john 6:63). So when preaching we must understand that we are invading a realm that has nothing to do with flesh and blood and foreign to most preachers to day because they focus on emotional responses. the word being spirit and life first attacks that which is spiritual at its very roots that is why when you share the gospel you should not be negative and say "well that did not stick" because the word is spiritual and as it kills the roots of sin and depravity and that same crowd who rejected you by Gods grace will change and covert by the power of the Holy Spirit and his word. listen to pauls words

1 corinthians 2:4-5

and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,

so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

His preaching was that of spiritual power and that is what brings results. When your preaching you are not only preaching to men but you are standing upon the very threshold of eternity preaching to the very authorities and rulers of the heavenly places beings which are super- terrestrial as Art katz likes to put it.

Ephesians 3:8-10
Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

So don't worry about people and what they think or their faces you are going for two things and 1. that is to Glorify Jesus John 12:32 Jesus say:
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 1 corinthians 10:31: Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

2. Your preaching to spirits of men and in the heavenlies and not just flesh and blood.

I hope this helps dear friend.

2008/8/29 17:53Profile
JoanM

Re: The Word Himself: Spirit and Life

Greg recently posted this message by [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=17112]W.F. Kumuyi: The Great Cost of Unbelief (video). [/url]I lost a word or two at times due to his accent, but I point this message out as an [u]example of preaching[/u] we do not see often in America: The Word of God, repeated over, and over, and over with little of man’s word explaining. By mid-message, I really sensed the effect of just the Word of God (opening ears, saturating). You can see the fruit at the end of the video.

I have been supplying quotes about prayer in my church’s weekly bulletin for over a month now, to encourage prayer. It happened that on three occasions I headed quotes off with this one from R.C. Ryle - Have you forgotten that it is not natural to anyone to pray? “The carnal mind is enmity against God.” Aside from appreciating these, many have said, “It really is hard to pray,” as though they [u]had[/u] forgotten and re-discovered Truth about the carnal mind.

I am thinking that simple repetition of the Word of God is important (for sticking and saturation). Like the difference between quoting the Word in a message (as part 2 of an argument or proof of a point) and speaking it, publishing it, proclaiming it, if this makes sense.

Just a thought. It was an unusual message. I hope no one is offended because this is only coming from one who hears preaching and does not preach.

2008/8/30 12:19Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Have you listened to any of Keith Daniel's messages?

2008/8/30 12:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy