SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The BEST bible translations (in English)?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
growingholly

Re:

praise God for krispy's reminder:
"The important thing to remember is that our salvation is not based upon which translation we read... so if a brother loves the NIV... he is my brother."

seriously. the love of the brethren is a beautiful gift of God. lets us not allow the devil to get us to lose sight of this.

grateful for your post, krispy.
:)

2008/8/11 13:21Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

After having read NIV, ESV cover to cover I now started the NKJV because it is based on Masoretic text yet is readable.

The German Luther and Elberfelder Translation are quite acurate translations similar to the KJV in English.

It is good to read the Word of God in different languages in order to grasp different aspects of the meaning of the original text.

narrowpath

narrowpath.

2008/8/11 19:49Profile
hburrell

Re:

I appreciate krispy's post...and I appreciate the spirit in which it was written. I also agree with thier assessment of the various translations.

Let me, however, add some thoughts to the mix.

Kistpy mentioned repeatedly "underlying texts". This is a HUGE issue. In fact, it is the one thing that all of this hangs on. I do wonder though that when folks make an issue of it, or bring it up, if those who have not looked into it have any idea what is meant by it.

Bottomline...the differnces between the KJV and all other versions is not a translational difference, it is indeed a textual difference. Seriously, we have been told that the newer versions are new tranlslations...when they are indeed new bibles. It is more than just a new translation of the Greek text, it is a new Greek text. In hundreds of places.

Here is one example:

KJV
Luk 2:33 And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.

NIV
Luk 2:33 The child's father and mother marveled at what was aid about him.

In the above verse, the text that the KJV is translated from contains the word ιωσηφ ("Ioseph" or Joseph).

However, in the text from which the NIV comes from (and all other newer "versions" for that matter)ιωσηφ is missing and πατηρ ("pater" or father)is in its place.

That is not a difference in "translation"...

"Readability" is a marketing tool. "Reliability" is the issue.

With all that said, my advise to you is to look into the textual issue yourself and...above all...pray about it. And I mean seriously pray about it. The Lord promised to preserve His word. Ask Him where it is.

God bless you and your hunger.

2008/8/12 9:44Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...!

My versions of choice are the KJV, the NIV, and recently, the NASB. After much study, I feel that the KJV (although not perfect) is a faithful translation taken from its set of source texts (along with its translation methods) and the NIV is a faithful translation taken from its set of sources texts (along with its translation methods). However, I typically read the KJV...while nearly always cross examining a passage with the NIV. I have recently begun doing the same with the NASB.

A nice website for this is found at www.biblegateway.com. They have over 50 versions available for cross reference (including different languages). They also have quite a few commentaries and dictionaries available, as well as links to such resources at other websites.

As is probably obvious, there is a lot of debate over Bible translations. There are extremes on nearly every side! Over time, I've taken a lot of "heat" for my embrace of the NIV or versions taken from the "minority" texts. It isn't that I am placing my own personal "stamp of approval" on the NIV; Rather, I am simply embracing the version with a similar merit by which I see the KJV. I believe that every human translation is flawed (including both the KJV and the NIV). However, we just don't know enough about the ultimate credibility of the source texts -- even if some books and websites claim as much.

I would certainly recommend a means of cross examing the passages from the Word of God. Not only could it assist in a better understanding of each passage, but it also provides a subsequent witness from the various text sources available.

Of course, all of our study of God's Word should be accompanied by prayer. We may not know the human scribes -- but we can certainly know and fellowship with the Author.

:-)

2008/8/12 11:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Here's a little series which might help the discussion.

[url=http://wiki.biblebase.com/index.php?title=The_Bible:_Inspiration_and_Interpretation]Which Bible?[/url]

2008/8/23 5:17Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Reply to hburrell Welcome and thank you for your examples because they help make the points I wish to expound.

“NIV Luke 2:33 The child's father and mother
marveled at what was said about him.”

Look how deceiving NIV is by having been written by people who know words but are unlearned in the spiritual consequences.

Matthew 23
9: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the other point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Readability" is a marketing tool. "Reliability" is the issue.

John 14
15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

I read KJV because I don’t have the original scrolls and it speaks to my new heart.

I agree with hburrell
“Bottomline...the differnces between the KJV and all
other versions is not a translational difference, it is
indeed a textual difference. Seriously, we have been
told that the newer versions are new tranlslations...when
they are indeed new bibles. It is more than just a new
translation of the Greek text, it is a new Greek text.
In hundreds of places.”

Eddie

2008/8/23 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy