SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can Some One Give me Advice on a Game I play

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
tullyja

Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Re:

Watered,

When you ask for advice, especially on an internet forum, be sure you will get a lot! :-)

A lot of the advice on this page is good, I just want to be another testimony to it. On the other hand, having gone through a very similar struggle myself, I knew what other people thought of me and it made me hide what I was doing from them, so I never got free from my addiction to computer games...etc. until I knew that it was Jesus that wanted me to quit. Then I was willing to obey His voice.
Listen to godly brethren tell you the truth but always look to Jesus. In all our struggles, we can be more than conquerors through Him. His Word is our light. Scriptures like the following were helpful for me:

Colossians 3:1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God... 12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

May God bless you!

- Jeff

2008/8/3 3:39Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:Get ready

I'm glad you made that step, Watered. Your greater battle will come when you have that compulsion, that demon induced lust to play again. I say that to incite you to be prepared by especially absorbing God's word. I have bought the same game five times. There are several that held me captive. I'm the guy that would spend good money on a game system, sell it and buy another one later. I know the battle well. It was nothing to play 10 hours without stopping...and only then because my hands literally wouldn't move right.

The games were to me a false adventure that I longed for. They met my God giving desires for building and strategizing, among other things. There is a chemical released that creates a kind of "high", an excitement, when you play...you probably relate to that. Notice how it effects your relationships poorly when you're into the game? Notice how easily irritated you get when you can't play as much as you like?

I'd recommend you stay away from the computer and places you will be pulled into temptation. Remember the question about the friends? Are you hanging with kids that know the Lord? Another help is being active; be outside in the fresh air...go into the woods and walk ...etc...

You don't have to pretend and live in a false adventure. God made you for a reason. There really is a war going on. There really is a Dark Prince that rules this world. You are a pilgrim passing through on a journey, an ambassador for the country of the Great King that is also your real home in which you are a citizen. You are instructed to put on armor for a reason and to be a good soldier of Christ.

It will take sitting in His presence, fighting for all your worth not to respond to the pulls and tugs to go do something else (even good things). John 14:21 makes a promise...that if you do it the King will make Himself real to you. Seek Him and meditate on His word and you will begin to see the "Matrix" for what it is. Wait on Him and he will lead you through the path of this decaying world to His glorious kingdom.

2008/8/3 15:57Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Another help is being active; be outside in the fresh air...go into the woods and walk ...etc...

This is excellent advice. God has shown me many things when I have been out in His creation - things that are much more interesting, and challenging, than a simple computer game. Oh, praise the Lord for all that He is doing in your life!

2008/8/3 16:11Profile
Watered

Re:

Yes sir, i TOTALLY understand. I mean I'm going through some serious temptation. I mean i remember last year i played this game, i played it into around half way first semester of junior year(something like that i remember it was still first semester) and God just crushed this game i mean i quit in like a day, almost no temptation and such but i still would watch world of warcraft videos but i soon repented of doing that. i guess the reason i am more tempted than i was last year is because this time i deleted my character and if more that a week or two goes by(something like that) i will not be able to reinbute him, and i guess that is why i am so tempted i spent around 600 hours playing my character over around two summers ( i didn't play over much of the school year). But yea whatever its cool, i also remember that over Christmas i got an xbox 360 and i got Halo 3 and i remember that after a little while God gave me the conviction that Christians should not be playing games like that so i returned my Xbox 360 and the game, and their was like no temptation at all. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this game. But yea you are so right when you say go out and don't think about it and don't look back, that helps out a lot. I just want more of God in my life, i want him to be my everything. Greater and greater measures of himself, and if this game is blocking that, then i guess "to the wind with all of it". I remember Junior year, second semester was the MOST amazing time of my life, my whole life style was seeking God. On average i would listen to one or two sermons a day during like a 4 month period. But God is so much more fun than any video game i ever played, its just that when i played Wow i was seeing that i was getting farther from God,at first i was like "oh this game isn't that bad its just for fun, and its just fantasy stuff" but after a while my heart grew harder and harder and i stopped listing to as many sermons as i did before and i did not read Scripture as much as i ought too and i really did not have any peace in my life. But now i just want more of God in my life, a passion for him to serve and honor and revere and appreciate my God as i ought to. And NOT to waste time as i ussually do. I'm sorry if i said anything wrong or if i made a mess of things.

2008/8/3 17:12Profile
dohzman

Re:

RPG's- these games place you in the seat as a character and a creater, they offer the excitement of adventure that most men need to fulfill purpose in thier lives. Men were created to conqueror. Even young men. As with all of lifes "tough" choices where temptation enters in, it's always best to put off only to put on. Stop doing something, only to start doing something else. Your long range success in this endevor will be your ability to re-focus the energy and drive you have toward some godly passion and pursuit. The key really will be for you to discover what exactly is it that you are passionate about in the things of Jesus Christ, than go for that with all your heart. Put Off/Put On. Stop playing WOW/But start doing?????

God Bless,brother daryl

2008/8/4 7:16Profile
JoanM

Re:

The fog is clearing, keep the focus sharp.

[i][u]God gave me the conviction .... so i returned my Xbox .... and their was like no temptation at all.[/i][/u] There is a pattern here to remember. Praise God that in His mercy and grace He again gave conviction.

[i][u]so i returned my Xbox 360 and the game, and their was like no temptation at all. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this game.[/i][/u] Try this: Back then, you used one of the weapons (sword) “Make no provision for sin.” [b]Now, the door is not shut yet[/b]. It is as though, as you tell it now, your old man is on the Cross, “being” crucified with Him. In a couple of weeks he’ll be dead. OK, read Phi 3:10 and enter into [b]the fellowship of His sufferings[/b]. “Take me down. Take me down. I’ll be good”, the old man cries.

[i][u]its just that when i played .... and i really did not have any peace in my life.[/i][/u]] Hello! You are describing the real war now, and your real life, your eternal life, depends on what you do. The Spirit in you was not quenched. It can be you know. While you were sleeping (the door not shut and locked,[i][u] but i still would watch world of warcraft videos),[/i][/u] the enemy of your soul was bringing in, piece by piece the foundation of a demonic stronghold. Every stimulant (now crack) addict would say, “Gee it didn’t use to be a problem, there was 6 months when I didn’t even think about ....” Want to hear a dumb question: “Let’s see, if I return to this, it will be easier to quit next time, right?”

The brothers here are telling you true things about men. Men as God made them. Everyone knows David should have been with his men, in the real war, when he fell to temptation. Go get with the Men of God. The real warriors.

It is interesting that a thing (imaginary world) called “World of Warcraft”, full of witchcraft (a kin to rebellion), has catapulted you into the reality of the Real War. And you haven’t wrecked your marriage, job, testimony, etc., maybe just missed a few things.

Yesterday a man of God shared that every time he is tempted by anything, he says the word “Sin!” He has seen the horror of sin. That keeps him. He whispers it when he is in a crowd. He is a preacher that has raised 9 children, all walking with God. My brother raises his arm (physically or in his mind) that holds the Shield of Faith and says that that is enough to quench the fiery dart. Maybe this is a man-thing.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this struggle and victories. We are all learning. Are you going to be an evangelist/preacher, or something? It seems you have that kind of hunger for God at times.

PS. The old man died 2000 years ago. Deader than a door-nail, don't you reckon. Any cries you hear are a lie from a liar. :-)

2008/8/4 23:21Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Hi Watered,
How is it going?

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I remember when God got me off of cigarettes - each time I was in a situation where I would typically have one, I would have to resist (first a little internal temper tantrum - then submission). But the next time that same situation came up, the desire would be gone. So it got easier and easier. The only thing is, every now and again a new (old) situation will arise - but still, all I need to do is resist.

I remember when I had tried to quit without God - it was as if I had nothing to live for, so I always started again. He makes all of the difference.

2008/8/6 16:33Profile

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
Hi Watered,
How is it going?

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I remember when God got me off of cigarettes - each time I was in a situation where I would typically have one, I would have to resist (first a little internal temper tantrum - then submission). But the next time that same situation came up, the desire would be gone. So it got easier and easier. The only thing is, every now and again a new (old) situation will arise - but still, all I need to do is resist.

I remember when I had tried to quit without God - it was as if I had nothing to live for, so I always started again. He makes all of the difference.

Amen Heartsong, I smoked marijuana and cigaretts for about 8 years and the Lord delivered me from them all cold turkey. He took all the desire away.

Quote:

Amen!

2008/8/6 19:02
JoanM

Re: The one-two punch

To round out the discussion on the devises that may be in play in games touching the occult, feeding the spirit of rebellion, we should mention the music that drives the flesh and helps open and lead a player. This elaborates on what the Brothers have posted and comes from an SI thread here called “Hells Bells”.

I do not listen to/play these things but do recall a strong emotional response to some music when an undergraduate. A friend of mine put me onto this one-two punch combination. It could be good to type out the words to some of these game tunes. On second thought, “No it wouldn’t.”

Links with the warning given there:

WARNING: THIS DOCUMENTARY IS VERY GRAPHIC AND EXPLICT. I WOULD CAUTION THOSE OF WEAK CONSCIENCE TO PRAYERFULLY WATCH THIS.

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7241927777199740631]They Sold Their Souls For Rock N' Roll (Part 1 of 4)[/url]

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2501641644828032698]They Sold Their Souls For Rock N' Roll (Part 2 of 4)[/url]

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8877550322516260897]They Sold Their Souls For Rock N' Roll (Part 3 of 4)[/url]

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7540620249341349]They Sold Their Souls For Rock N' Roll (Part 4 of 4)[/url]

Watered, I think you will understand this due to your having understood Harry Potter problems. This stuff just goes for the older ones. Many, maybe not all, music groups know what they are doing as this documents. There is a [u][b]rage against God[/u][/b] going on as you will see.

2008/8/6 21:09Profile
Watered

Re:

Thanks much Heartsong for asking, well to tell you the truth i really want to play again hahaha, and i don't know what to do, i mean i uninstalled the game and i deleted my character but whenever i go over my friends house and see him play and have a lot of fun I'm like "man why cant i play" haha. So yea, i mean if it would be alright with someone i could send them a video of the game and it would be easier for you to discern. Oh and JoanM the videos that you linked i started watching the first one and i stopped like 15 min. in the video cause that stuff is really scary. Thanks much

2008/8/7 15:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy