SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : David Wilkerson's VISION

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

I'm quite aware of whats going on in CCM... have even voiced many of the same concerns you have. Where we differ is that I dont buy into the theory that certain forms of music are inherintly evil.

I remember back in the 80's before I was ever saved hearing local preachers and Christians condemn Christian rock as evil and of the devil... and it was all pretty tame back then. Now, bands like Casting Crowns rock just as hard, if not harder, than the Christian bands of the 80's... yet they have found favor with many right here on this forum (myself included) because of their very real and scriptural lyrics... and their heart.

The whole issue of Christian music is just too jell-o-y to nail down. Therefore, I say that money and the heart of those involved is the issue... not the styles of music.

Krispy

2008/7/11 15:09
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy...

Quote:
I'm quite aware of whats going on in CCM... have even voiced many of the same concerns you have. Where we differ is that I dont buy into the theory that certain forms of music are inherintly evil.

I think that if you reread my post, you'll find that I feel the same way. I think that the root is not the music itself (including the notes, melody or rhythm). Rather, the root problem that I have (and you have shared in the past) is with the motivation, underlying principles and justifications for such music. I don't think that a particular electric guitar riff or distortion is "evil" anymore than fingers on a chalkboard or an infant that bangs on a piano. Rather, why is this song here? What was the motive for writing it or singing it in public? Is there something wrong with a Christian musician who achieves (or longs for) celebrity status? Does such a singer have a responsibility to shy away from the fame? I guess that there is a lot of things to consider.

I do, however, feel that music reflects the "abundance of the heart" (just like voice does). What does our music (and the creation and aftereffects of it) -- or tastes in music -- reflect about us?

It is certainly a thing to ponder!

:-)

2008/7/11 15:18Profile
dohzman

Re:

TimesSquare has a rotation system. As I understand it there is 3 senior pastors, David Wilkerson, Carter Conlon, and Neil Rhodes. They try to have 2 present at all times. Wilkerson still does speaking at Times Square and holds pastors conferences overseas, I was told that He would like to literally lay down his life in Africa and be buried there. When I heard that, that blew my mind.What incrediable committment. I forget thier website, maybe someone can post it, but there are some recent messages David Wilkerson has preached, he doesn't seem to have missed a beat, just as powerful and anointed as ever.

2008/7/11 21:13Profile
Nellie

Re:

David Wilkinson is a true man of God.
He would be the first to tell you that he has made mistakes, and that He has failed God .
His preaching has really affected my life, and drawn me closer to Jesus Christ.
He preaches the Word of God.

The web site is www.timessquarechurch.org.

God Bless all
Nellie

2008/7/11 21:34Profile

Re:

ccchhhrrriiisss... you're right, I was in a hurry when I read you post. :-)

Krispy

2008/7/12 6:53

Re:

I haven't read Wilkerson's book, the Vision. Is it worth reading?

I don't know a whole bunch about D.W. I have heard some really good sermons. He seems to have such a strong passion for the church. For truth and to honor the Lord. But, would you consider D.W. to be a conservative charismatic? What makes him different than some of the other "charismatics" that loosely have "visions", speak in tongues, words of knowledge, and other "charismatic gifts"?

Not trying to pick on him, but trying to understand the difference, only because we(I), have spoke out in disagreement with these type of "flaky" preachers.

Again, I AM NOT attacking Wilkerson!!! What I mean by "flaky" is more about being flamboyant and exuberant and silly with visions and words of knowledge. I know that there is some out there that really are in the flesh, Kansas city prophets, the Latter Rain and so forth.

edit:
:-D Reformer

2008/7/13 9:44
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Wilkerson

Quote:
But, would you consider D.W. to be a conservative charismatic? What makes him different than some of the other "charismatics" that loosely have "visions", speak in tongues, words of knowledge, and other "charismatic gifts"?

Not trying to pick on him, but trying to understand the difference, only because we(I), have spoke out in disagreement with these type of "flaky" preachers.

Again, I AM NOT attacking Wilkerson!!! What I mean by "flaky" is more about being flamboyant and exuberant and silly with visions and words of knowledge. I know that there is some out there that really are in the flesh, Kansas city prophets, the Latter Rain and so forth.

I wouldn't consider brother Dave as someone to be put into any sort of construct ... if you can bear my certain disgust with the category happy mindset of Christendom today, I recognize it is one thing to be descriptive but there is so much borrowing of the lingo that most everything gets bogged down into semantics ....

The short of it is just a Bible believer and one who has courage. Courage to stand up and speak out against the nonsense running rampant in this hour. Courage to admit his own mistakes as noted. Courage to take a year off from ministry to seek the Lord.

I realize what you mean and meant brother, if I was forced to have to put it categorically, that wouldn't be far off. Strange thing that the charismatic camp won't have anything to do with him, they are not fond of being tested or challenged let alone rebuked.

In encapsulated form ... Wilkerson's heart;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3843]A Call to Anguish[/url]

2008/7/13 10:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy