SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Paul's: Rationalize the negative stereotype all you may, facts remain facts. Tattoos are viewed as such, and most people look upon them with disdain. I work for an employer who is unregenerate and he won't hire a person with visible tattoos.

When a person gets a tattoo they do it typically to make a [i]statement[/i]. I have a man that is an apprentice tattoo artist that works for me. I have employees with tattoos down to their hands that he put on them. Now, going back to the whole "psuedo discernment" remark.

When a person will permanently mark their body in an visable place, one has to ask about their judgment. When most people see a person with tattoos that stick out of their neck and arms they immediately wonder if they have been in prison.

Sound judgmental? No more than if you saw a mangled fender and wondered if the car had been in an accident. People typically do not mark themselves up that are thinking clearly- even if they are sinners. These are behaviors born in prisons and biker gangs such as the Hell's Angels. People typically do these things to [i]intimidate[/i] people. Todd Bentley has a long history of violence. I would say he had repented, but what are we to think when his favorite TV program is UFC?

This is the direction the nation is going. We are on the fast track now to Genesis 6 when the whole earth was filled with violence. The roadblocks that God installed to slow this degeneration of society have almost all been removed. We should all be vexed from day to day with these unlawful deeds.

2008/6/10 14:12Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

To me a tattoo is direct rebellion against God because you are basically saying that the way your body is designed is not good enough and it needs changing.
Your body is designed for Jesus and marking it in that type of way will affect your relationship with Jesus!

Also with Tatoos they are there for life so People have to visibilly live with the foolish things that they have done in there youth or even at an older.
A tattoo does not look good on a fifty year old man or seventy!

2008/6/10 14:26Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

"To me a tattoo is direct rebellion against God because you are basically saying that the way your body is designed is not good enough and it needs changing. "

Does this mean glasses are evil? They are added to your body and do change the way you look. How about clothes? We are created naked(yes sin causes the shame and necessity of covering, but we have been Justified!!! -also not condoning nudity, just using an arguement I can picture some "christian" group using ). But seriously, many people use clothes to reflect who we are internally trying to be (go to a Christian/hindu/muslim conference most will be dressed according to a "cultural standard")or use clothes to say "Man look at my suit I really know how to worship!!
I know this sounds crazy, and I DO NOT encourage tatoos (again your time and money could be used more productively. Also why bother with things that are not eternal..and I fully agree if we are going out of our way to look like a person group to reach a person group we've missed something), but your agruement, I believe, is not a valid arguement, or is at least could be easily refuted.
Also you said "to me...direct rebellion"...a tatoo is not someone have unmarried sex or someone worshiping a saint! A tat could be a sign of direct rebellion, but it does not automatically spell out direct rebellion (unless it's a knuckle tattoo that spell "rebel":-P
Thanks Brother!

2008/6/10 14:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
To me a tattoo is direct rebellion against God because you are basically saying that the way your body is designed is not good enough and it needs changing.

Uhm... using that reasoning you would be upset with people who work out to lose weight or to tone up. I'm not for tattoo's either, but not for this reason. I dont know anyone who has a tat that ever vocalized this reasoning for doing so. You're just making assumptions about people based on your own perspective, and the results of doing that are rarely ever good or correct.

Krispy

2008/6/10 14:48
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Ill jump in also :-)

I feel scripture says we are bought with a price, we do not own ourself any more, and we are bought with a very valuable price, the blood of Gods only begotten son.

one drop of that ios more worth then all of the millions liters of all humans and animal blood ever walked this earth,

Now considering that God paid such a price for you...you really wanna mess that up?

an example, anyone ever sold a house? a car? or a bike?

how many returned the next day, week or whatever to repaaint that house? car, bike?

no one i hope would be that stupid. You sold the car or what ever, yet many treat God this way.

They claim the sold them self to God, but refuse to give over the ownership.

In reality such behavior is rebellion and the spirit of such acts should throughly be looked at.

We follow Jesus, imagine Jesus walking into one of those funky tattoo shops and gettin some ink done.

Dont think so.

where is the Holy awe for the severity and seriousness of being a follower of Christ? where is the trembling at Gods word that says anyone destroy Gods temple (our body) that person God will destroy.

so many dont believe what God has said, the beginning of wisdom is to fear God. many fear their fellow man more, since they would never dream of repainting their house, but goes with joy and boasting to re paint Gods house.

my thoughts

Christian

2008/6/10 14:59Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Mere outward adournment...that is all, maybe even a cover up for what is needed within.

I recieved a tattoo, on my upper back. It is the greek symbol, chi and rho. At the time I was doing God a favor by getting this tattoo, saying, "Jesus got my back, man."

It was delusion and foolishness. Let's call it what it is, simple foolishness and the foolish will not recieve instruction. Proverbs is filled with words about the foolish. It is mere foolishness and outward adournment that amounts to nothing. Let's build up our spiritual house and grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ so that we may stand fast in these last days.

Others may do it, but as for me I will not...anymore.

2008/6/10 15:35Profile

Re:

You may [i]feel[/i] scripture says this or that... but I [b]know[/b] scripture says:

[b]1 Corinthians 10:23-24[/b] [i]All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.[/i]

Krispy

2008/6/10 16:11
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
They claim the sold them self to God, but refuse to give over the ownership.

I often say that folk hand God the title, but keep the car keys.

I want to stress the point that you can in fact tell a lot about a person by the way they present themselves. As a youth pastor I have heard things over the years from the girls like, "that's all I have to wear" and what they try to wear is as provocative as can be. Guys try to wear the muscle shirts and earrings and act like it means nothing. Try to act like I'm a pharisee for saying something about it. "Oh really? If it means nothing to you then why are you getting so angry when someone brings it up?"

Absalom is a prime example of a person caught and slain by the very symbol of their rebellion (his hair). I deal with youth all day everyday. One guy tattooed to no end and others constantly doing some new thing with their hair or a tattoo or tongue ring. Even one guy wanting dreadlocks so he can look like some of these Christian rock bands. We had a dentist come in our office once and rebuke the gal behind the counter for her tongue ring.

If I see a women wearing provocative clothing or a young man trying to show off his body I immediately make a judgment call in my mind. People are not stupid. They know what they are doing when they do it. And God is going to hold them to account. Humans sin- but devils tempt to sin. If a person (male or female) came to the revival conference in shorts and a tank top sporting around to divide the worship- what would God think?

It is important how we dress and how we look. I Timothy 2:9 tells us that our attitude in our interaction with others should be one of shamefacedness. This means to have downcast eyes. Not trying to [i]see[/i] or [i]be seen[/i].

This is not popular in an evil and adulterous generation, but God expects men and women to carry themselves in a modest way. What pride seeks to always be seen and have eyes cast on them? To wear clothing that would intentionally cause others to lust or stumble is sin. You will notice in scripture that when folk got ready to really repent they put on sackcloth and ashes. This is the opposite of getting dressed up. This is what Isaac Watts meant when he surveyed the cross and [i]poured contempt on all of his pride[/i].

2008/6/10 16:29Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i know scripture says also:

1Pe 2:16 You are not slaves; you are free. But your freedom is not an excuse to do evil. You are free to live as God's slaves.

2008/6/10 16:37Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Amen, Robert W.

2008/6/10 17:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy