SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Liberal judges rule CA homeschools illegal...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Liberal judges rule CA homeschools illegal...

Intens4Him said

Quote:
I've seen kids take a stand in the classroom for what they believe in

I didn't expect my children to make a stand until they were at least nine years old, which meant I was in the schools' face on their behalf in those early years, insisting the reading book was not about witchcraft, withdrawing them from school assembly (which was an unpredictable variety of myth, magic, meditation and faith), and insisting they be excused from any act of worship associated with other worship systems (such as Divali and at Eid) or acting out the practices of believers-in-other-gods in the classroom.

Nothing any school could say would persuade me that what was required in regard to religious obeissance (to any other than our God), was 'harmless'.

In this, I thank my mish-kid childhood during which it would have been unthinkable for any of us to do what the local people did (juju), for giving me the confidence that the gospel has something more to offer; because for sure, my Christianity was pretty hard work in those days. But, I'd met God many times by then and wanted my children to have the strong impression that He [u]is alive[/u], powerful, and worth fighting for.

Later, each of my children separately, made their own stand in the classroom. One over not having to make a Divali card to take home, and the other over not singing a song of praise to Pharoah (Rameses II), while dancing in his honour. In the latter case, the headmaster asked for me to be more 'flexible', but I declined, :-D , firmly backing up my 9yo boy.

This is religious freedom in action.

But, I noted this quote in another thread:

'Obama Asks Evangelicals To Assimilate (7-5-06 -BP) "Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, considered a possible Democratic nominee for president in 2008, told left-leaning religious leaders at the Call to Renewal’s 'Building a Covenant for a New America' conference June 28 that in order to sort through some of the 'bitter arguments' about religion in America today, [b]evangelicals need to water down their views to fit in better with the rest of society[/b]

"'Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values,' Obama said at the event in Washington. 'It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all. 'Now this is going to be difficult for some who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, as many evangelicals do,' he added. 'But in a pluralistic democracy, we have no choice.'...

[Not true! We do have a choice! But those who refuse to trade Biblical truth for universal values may face pressures and punishments that would have been unthinkable in our "free" nation some years ago.]

End quote.
That was a small extract from RevBenjamin's excerpts from

[i]Reinventing the World

Obama, Warren, and the "Covenant for a New America"

Partnerships: Church + Politics + Bussiness = Communitarianism[/i]

p15 [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=21259&forum=35&start=140&viewmode=flat&order=0]The Emerging Merger[/url]

2008/3/9 9:17

Re:

Quote:
Yet, shame on us if we, under the guise of being heavenly minded, let our families fall under persecution because we didn't have the good sense to take advantage of our citizenship,

God Forbid!

I would be among those that would have fled England during that time of persecution just like the early Church did when they were under great persecution. God takes a select few to stay and stand firm for the things of God.

I am not against standing up for what is right, I am just against Christians rallying, marching in the streets, fighting with flesh and blood. We should do what we can and no more and leave the rest to the LORD. I don't think we should all lay down & allow our children to be railroaded, no siree. If my child is being bullied in school, I would want to know what the school is doing about it, and if nothing, then I might take action myself, but not to the place where I now am operating in the flesh. Do you see what I mean?

As dead men when we are reviled, we shouldn't revile back. We shouldn't return evil for evil. Why should we, we're dead. So I say again, there is a time to speak and a time to sit down.

Thanks for your post Compton. 8-)

2008/3/9 12:01
Compton

Re:

Hi compliments,

Quote:
Do you see what I mean?

I do now. You make some good sense.

(edit; I said I couldn't resist leaving a comment about Senator's Obama statement...but I was wrong. I can. ;-))

MC

2008/3/9 13:19Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Lisa

You wrote......

And in defense of teaching (I am also a high school teacher), I have to add that for 95% of us who teach in the public schools, we are way too busy following curriculum guidelines and standards to set aside time to teach an anti-christ agenda.

Let me clear up that I was not trying to imply individual teachers were plotting to teach our children an anti-Christ view, rather that the curriculum that is mandated by the states is very much in conflict with the Word of God and I do not wish to expose my children at an early age to that kind of material. For me its not just the curriculum though that is questionable but a great deal of other influences in the public school setting.

Hope that clears up what I meant

Have a great day and God Bless
MJ

2008/3/9 15:20Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:

dantejones wrote:
As a soon-to-be teacher myself, i'd like for it to be known that public education is one of the most de-federalized institutions in the country; states school boards have all the power in determining what is taught and by whom, so the actual government is not intruding on anyone, just the appeals court in California.
However, this ruling is absolutely outrageous, and one that we should all stand against. How absurd!

Hey dantejones,

My wife is a certified teacher with a teching degree in 1-9 to the North of you (Wisconsin). I would like to point out that you are correct in some regards of what you say.

The school baord does have a say in what is being taught, but Federal dollars are allocated either higher or lower depending on what is taught and if what is taught coinsides into what the Federal government wants to be taught.

The Teachers Union is one of the most prolific and powerful unions in America. You have a better shot going against the Teamsters then you do the Teachers Union. That is how powerful a lobby they have.

The Teachers Union is in place for one reason, and that reason is to do what is best [u]for the teacher in its union, AND for the union itself[/u], not for the children that are in the schools that those teachers work in. The union DOES NOT want kids in homeschools...Why? Less federal dollars are allocated to schools wth lower enrollments. If more and more kids pull out of governmental (city) schools, less money will be given to those schools. Which in turn means less money for teachers. Which in turn means less power for the teachers union. See where this is going?

I do want to state that I am not anti-teacher. My wife is a teacher (former at this time), and we choose to homechools our children. This is because the State manddates curriculum that we deem inappropriate. Can we get a wavier from these teachings? Yes. BUT, we do not want to put our children into a system that promotes child sex (sex ed and birth control handouts), has about 30:1 ratio student/teacher, and for the most part, our children can be taught more effectively at home where there is someone present who truly cares for their future.

I commend you for going into the schooling industry. For the most part, teachers do want whats best for the students. I do not know one teacher that "is in it for the moeny" since there is not much included with it. Its good old Big Brother that I have issues with.

Blessings

2008/3/9 23:52Profile
Compton

Re:

This thread confirms to me that schooling is perhaps the most explosive issue in America, even beyond abortion and legalized civil unions. I wonder if our brethren from other nations looking in can understand the volaitility of this issue to American Christians. The ability to home school represents the last remaining flames of the American revolution for liberty...and if the United States government wants to really see the drowsy church mobilized and radicalized from sea to shining sea...let them try and take away the home school. There will be both spiritual and civil convictions stirred up. If the social engineers are smart, they would let sleeping Christians keep sleeping.

This quietly rumbling volcanoe of an issue has the power to truly awaken the sleeping giant within these borders like no other. Would such an awakening represent a 'great awakening?' I could not say, but I do know that for the love of their children's souls, even the most compromising segments of the American church would be forced to choose sides on this issue.

If I seem radical on this issue, I'm not a tenth as radial as I could become...currently I'm not even a homeschool parent! (We were just a few years ago.) But I understand that I am benifitting from homsechoolers; everyone, both friend and foe alike understands that homeschooling parents give all parents the ability to critique their local tax-funded system. Without homeschooling's challenge to state education...well consider the ramifications of a state monopoly on mind molding.

MC

2008/3/10 1:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Liberal judges rule CA homeschools illegal...

Quote:
"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare," the judge wrote, quoting from a 1961 case on a similar issue.

I met a brother from Germany recently. Their supreme court ruled against home schooling. The purpose was stated, according to my brother, To prevent groups of individuals from forming societies outside of the main stream German society. He is considering moving to another country that allows homeschooling.

Just a thought.

In Christ
Jeff

2008/3/10 8:39Profile

Re:

I don't understand what the big issue is at all in California with homeshoolers. There is no reason for this big upheaval at all. I homeschooled my kids and each year they were evaluated by a teacher with credentials. If these children are being neglected or not evaluated properly than they need to just fix the system. This to me is nothing but an excuse to get children back in the public schools because they either do not like the way they are being taught or they just want the money that the public schools are losing by not having them there.

2008/3/10 9:00
Compton

Re:

Quote:
He is considering moving to another country that allows homeschooling.

We'll take him. :-)

MC

2008/3/10 9:41Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I just would like to encourage anyone who does sent their kids to public school to have [i][b]real[/b][/i] times of discipleship. I know of families who send their children to public school for hours a day, yet don't spent 2 hours a week outside of a church service teaching them from the Bible. Or not even necessarily straight from the Bible (as in verse after verse) but things that relate to a Christian world view.

As far as rights are concerned, I see the subject of educating children to be much more than a right but a command. I'm a single guy but if God ever gives me a family I do have some strong views on education in the family. Maybe one day I'll loosen up or reality will hit, but right now I feel pretty strongly about it.

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God [is] one LORD:
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
Deu 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Right after God told Israel to love him, He said to teach your children. I think the two things are linked together.

2008/3/10 10:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy